Ridiculous NFL is doing this to Broncos [THREAD CLOSED] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to think the league has all these options it doesn’t have - postponing games is bad and is avoided unless they have an active spread concern. If the spread is contained, the game will be played. The league said as much in a memo to the teams earlier this season. The Broncos haven’t had a positive test since Thursday. It’s game on.

The Bills played a game with no TEs and two DBs out. The Broncos QBs didn’t follow the rules and the 5-day contact quarantine is mandatory.

We’re in a major contingency. Fairness isn’t always the top priority.

FIRST, no Denver does not have a chance to win. Saints are probably the worst team in the league to play without a QB. Broncos may only get a few first downs.

SECOND, agreed this is ridiculous. No one would even scrimmage this way. Whatever the rules, the rules of common sense should overwrite them.
What do you propose? Move the game to Tuesday, so we suddenly have a short week before a division game? Reschedule? To when? We don’t have a bye left in our schedule. It sucks for them and I’d hate if it happened to us, but it is what it is.

What do you propose? Move the game to Tuesday, so we suddenly have a short week before a division game? Reschedule? To when? We don’t have a bye left in our schedule. It sucks for them and I’d hate if it happened to us, but it is what it is.
You’re 💯 correct. We fly home and then come back on Tuesday? Or we wait in a hotel until Tuesday? Nope we play today.

Common sense says if you break rules, you pay for it.

Common sense says if someone tells you - on paper and ahead of time - to not have position groups sit next to eachother on buses and planes and to wear masks in meetings

And you fail to follow those rules.....

Im not sure how then you can look beyond those common sense things, and then say "well the broncos dont have a QB, that isnt fair. Common sense says they shouldnt play" - and at that point you decide common sense should prevail.

I think this thread title is damn near comical, and sums up our culture.

Its basically saying, Its ashamed what the NFL is doing to the Broncos for not following the rules clearly laid out. As if the Broncos were not at all responsible for putting themselves here.

The NFL isnt doing anything! The Broncos did this to themselves. Whats so hard to understand about that?

Last edited:
We just got a 7th round pick taken from us for not wearing masks so...

If it had been just an unfortunate circumstance would be one thing but to learn that the Broncos have been flaunting the common sense rules (like our beloved Saints), well, it is what it is. I think I'd rather lose the pick with Loomis at the helm than a game tbh.

Can't they sign Kaep to a one-day contract? lol

Last edited:

Yeah because its football, that's what makes it complicated. Basketball games, for instance, can be bunched together 2 or 3 a week. Its definitely a mess but obviously silly that they are trying to start one of their assistant coaches lol.

Just an opinion, as I have no desire to start data mining:
This isn't about the NFL's concern over Covid or player safety, it's about appeasing its TV partners and their advertisers.

The NFL contracted with its networks to provide a product on a certain date, at a certain time (other than flexed games). I'm fairly certain that every time the NFL has to postpone a game or shuffle the schedule, the networks balk and possibly start asking for a rebate of some sort. I'd be curious to see what the ratings looked like for the games rescheduled this season vs what they were expected to be if played as scheduled. Networks sold advertising time to commercial entities, so they are probably hearing the grumblings when those time slots are changed from a weekend to a weeknight. It's all about the $$$, not about player safety or "fairness".

The NFL is basically sending a message to teams (though a somewhat inconsistent message) that if you do not follow or enforce the Covid protocols and it costs us money, you're going to pay. They'd rather put a second rate product on the field (in most cases) than have to move games around.

Just an opinion, as I have no desire to start data mining:
This isn't about the NFL's concern over Covid or player safety, it's about appeasing its TV partners and their advertisers.

The NFL contracted with its networks to provide a product on a certain date, at a certain time (other than flexed games). I'm fairly certain that every time the NFL has to postpone a game or shuffle the schedule, the networks balk and possibly start asking for a rebate of some sort. I'd be curious to see what the ratings looked like for the games rescheduled this season vs what they were expected to be if played as scheduled. Networks sold advertising time to commercial entities, so they are probably hearing the grumblings when those time slots are changed from a weekend to a weeknight. It's all about the $$$, not about player safety or "fairness".

The NFL is basically sending a message to teams (though a somewhat inconsistent message) that if you do not follow or enforce the Covid protocols and it costs us money, you're going to pay. They'd rather put a second rate product on the field (in most cases) than have to move games around.

Couldnt disagree more. The quality of football was completely in the hands of the Broncos. The Broncos are going into this game without a QB because of decisions they made, not the NFL. The NFL didnt steal the masks at the Broncos facility. The Broncos did this to themselves. And now its the NFLs fault for the Broncos not following written guidance SPECIFICALLY addressing position groups?

The Broncos, by action, are putting a 2nd rate product on the field. Not the NFL.

Considering the results of a delay in any capacity would be unfavorable to the saints:
  • If to Tuesday, Saints get a short week before traveling to Atlanta and are trapped in Denver for four days. Bad.
  • If to Week 18, there is no longer a 1st round bye for the #1 seed. Bad.
I'm fine with it.

They violated the rules.

It's also possible the league decided not to give the Broncos any sort of benefit of the doubt after it was discovered the team wasn't following the NFL's COVID protocols. According to Mark Maske of The Washington Post, all four quarterbacks failed to wear masks in meetings and after Driskel tested positive, the other three quarterbacks weren't cooperative with the contact tracers from the NFL and NFLPA. [/QUOTE]

In a perfect world, we'd postpone the game until the Broncos could prepare properly for it with a real QB. However, that could really mess up the Saints preparation for the playoffs and possibly even prevent us from getting or having a bye week. Therefore, I am glad the game is going forward today.

There needs to be an expectation set by the NFL for teams not taking every precaution to remain COVID free. IMO, there shouldn’t be a postponement if the team has enough bodies to play, no matter the position. If they don’t have the players, they should forfeit and the infected team should have to pay the opposing teams players for the game check missed, while their players miss the game check.

If they did this, I guarantee the players will start policing themselves a whole lot better and we wouldn’t have as many issues. There has to be accountability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom