Ridiculous NFL is doing this to Broncos [THREAD CLOSED] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe if the Broncos were legitimately in contention for the playoffs, the league would have found a way to accommodate a move of this game. But since the Broncos are 4-6, they are using them as a clear example of the repercussions of not following the Covid protocols.

While I’m a little surprised that the league is allowing one of their teams to play a game without a QB, I also don’t feel it’s unfair for the league to take a hard line on this.

The league mandated masks inside facilities. The Broncos QBs did not wear them.

The league restricted in-person meetings. The Broncos held in-person meetings.

The league suggested teams keep a QB isolated from the others in the event of an incident such as this. The Broncos did not.

Again, it’s weird but the Broncos really messed up here and it’s costing them.

I guarantee you that if the NFL said Taysom couldn't play because we "broke the rules" when he went to Thanksgiving without a mask at Drew Brees' house everyone on this board would be screaming its not fair.

I agree that if the shoe was on the other foot, we would mostly be saying that it is unfair to us, but frankly missing our starting left guard and starting left tackle, I will take any advantage we can get and this is a big one.

So you and another guy feel that the Saints should be punished for the Broncos breaking protocols. Its goes so far in the protocols to give the teams spelled out guidance on how to handle position groups to specifically not find yourself in this situation.

If you give the Broncos time, postpone the game. What are you going to give the Saints in return who are infinitely less responsible for this situation to begin with? Are you going to move the Atlanta game, move the Eagles game? Is there a scenario where you can postpone this game, and it not ultimately hurt the team NOT responsible for the postponement more?
It’s not about being punished. The Saints had and have positives too. It’s about safety of the players. Greed and selfishness has no place here. And that’s what this is about.

Couldnt disagree more. The quality of football was completely in the hands of the Broncos. The Broncos are going into this game without a QB because of decisions they made, not the NFL. The NFL didnt steal the masks at the Broncos facility. The Broncos did this to themselves. And now its the NFLs fault for the Broncos not following written guidance SPECIFICALLY addressing position groups?

The Broncos, by action, are putting a 2nd rate product on the field. Not the NFL.

So, you couldn't disagree more, but it sounds like you are agreeing with me...

The NFL is basically penalizing them for breaking protocol by not rescheduling or postponing the game; as well as any forthcoming fines.

Selfishly I’m glad the game is going, not for the likely win but because we don’t have to play in a shortened week. I also hope we win handily but I hope the QB doesn’t embarrass himself; he was put in a bad spot. And should it be a blowout I would not like to see this game in our SB highlight DVDs. Covid related stuff isn’t what I want to remember long term.

The Broncos are out of the playoff race. We aren’t. It would be absolute garbage to take our possible 1st round bye away and influence the playoffs (which matter way more) just to help a bad Broncos team that chose to break the rules and lie about it.

Nope. Play the freaking game.

It’s not about being punished. The Saints had and have positives too. It’s about safety of the players. Greed and selfishness has no place here. And that’s what this is about.

They arent being punished. They are playing football today. They broke the rules, not the NFL. The Broncos could seek out a forfeiture with pay for players- as if it is unsafe - the Broncos are the reason that it is unsafe. This has nothing to do with greed, or the NFL. Nothing. The NFL said, no in person meeting, wear masks in facilities, dont sit position groups together. The Broncos didnt do it.

Its completely farcical the excuses people are making at this point. If you can propose a scenario where the Saints feel very little to no impact for delaying, then thats fine. The Saints would be hurt far worse from a postponement than the team responsible for it. There is no way around postponing this game to reward a team for breaking protocols and punishing the team who didnt.

Broncos fans have every right to gripe. And so do the Broncos.

I'm sorry though, I'm guilting by association pretty much every fan base. Every fan base told us to "Get over it" when we lost a Super Bowl berth due to shoddy officiating. Hell, the Saints somehow became the bad guys in the fallout with opposing fans bootlicking the NFL and telling our fans we were crybabies.

So I feel not much empathy when another team gets screwed by the NFL. If it benefits us, even better. The fans should "get over it".

So, you couldn't disagree more, but it sounds like you are agreeing with me...

The NFL is basically penalizing them for breaking protocol by not rescheduling or postponing the game; as well as any forthcoming fines.

Touche.

But how is this a situation where the Broncos are being penalized? They are playing a scheduled game. Its their fault they dont have a QB.

Just an opinion, as I have no desire to start data mining:
This isn't about the NFL's concern over Covid or player safety, it's about appeasing its TV partners and their advertisers.

The NFL contracted with its networks to provide a product on a certain date, at a certain time (other than flexed games). I'm fairly certain that every time the NFL has to postpone a game or shuffle the schedule, the networks balk and possibly start asking for a rebate of some sort. I'd be curious to see what the ratings looked like for the games rescheduled this season vs what they were expected to be if played as scheduled. Networks sold advertising time to commercial entities, so they are probably hearing the grumblings when those time slots are changed from a weekend to a weeknight. It's all about the $$$, not about player safety or "fairness".

The NFL is basically sending a message to teams (though a somewhat inconsistent message) that if you do not follow or enforce the Covid protocols and it costs us money, you're going to pay. They'd rather put a second rate product on the field (in most cases) than have to move games around.

Just a semantic point - but performing one’s contractual obligations isn’t “appeasement”. But I think you’re right that the business arrangements are a big driver here. The league wants to get these games in the books and have a full season of games as long as it is safe.

Postponing games is problematic - especially after the byes are over. They create a domino scheduling effect and create logistical problems. I think we all knew that this season would be different and we’d just be lucky to even get a season.

People are being unrealistic with this idea that everything has to be totally fair. Was it fair to the Saints in 2005? No but the primary goal is getting the games played on schedule.

Agin, the Broncos didn’t just break protocol, they also weren’t forthcoming about it. I don’t have any sympathy for them, especially after we were just docked a draft pick for dancing with no masks in the locker room after a win.
It’s not about sympathy, but about common sense. Lack of common sense and in most cases being stupid got us into this mess.

Just a semantic point - but performing one’s contractual obligations isn’t “appeasement”. But I think you’re right that the business arrangements are a big driver here. The league wants to get these games in the books and have a full season of games as long as it is safe.

Postponing games is problematic - especially after the byes are over. They create a domino scheduling effect and create logistical problems. I think we all knew that this season would be different and we’d just be lucky to even get a season.

People are being unrealistic with this idea that everything has to be totally fair. Was it fair to the Saints in 2005? No but the primary goal is getting the games played on schedule.
Playing those games in 2005 had nothing to do with player safety, health, and lives. It had to do with availability of facilities and resources. This is entirely different.

Does it suck that this affected an entire position group, the most important position group? Yes it does but thats how things fall sometimes. The NFL said they wouldn't postpone games just because it affected one position group only if there was a chance of a bigger outbreak. The Broncos didn't follow protocol and now one position group has been affected and it just so happens to be the QBs. This is why the NFL expanded practice squads and stuff. Teams have to manage it the same as injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom