Rigs to reefs (1 Viewer)

Cosmic201

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
How is that even legal?

This wasn't tax money he is diverting. This was money specifically given by oil companies (through the incentives of saving money on rig teardowns) to build reefs.

How can he just siphon the money out like this?

BHM

Can't please 'em all
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I understand the anger and fully agree with it.

On the other hand, do we really hear what we are complaining about? We are upset because we are diverting money to improve fishing grounds to give to education. Had he diverted education money to improve fighting grounds, I think we would all still be upset.

I know it is deeper than that but you all know what I mean.

Cosmic201

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

On the other hand, do we really hear what we are complaining about? We are upset because we are diverting money to improve fishing grounds to give to education. Had he diverted education money to improve fighting grounds, I think we would all still be upset.

That's a simplistic rendition of why we're upset. We're not upset because he is trying to fund higher education. We're upset because of the reasons he has to divert money to cover the holes in the budget for higher education. We're upset because he keeps using one off payments to cover the enormous, gaping holes in his budgets and that so far he has presented no plan on how to fix those holes after he's diverted, sold off, or stolen as much loose change from Louisiana as he can before running off.

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score

That's...not really accurate. We wouldn't even need to re-route funds from anything for higher education if he hadn't slashed it like a madman to begin with. The way you're framing it makes it sound like it's an act of altruism, but in reality he's just trying to cover his own *** because he knows higher ed can't sustain any more cuts. This is all just a budget shell game and this fool has been an economic disaster for this state because of nonsense like this. He's more concerned with trying to make things LOOK like they're okay instead of fixing real problems.

dtc

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me guys.

Why with all the oil being produced - more than ever - is La broke?

Why with the stimulus of Katrina and the resurgence of the area is La broke?

Why is tuition in La going up so fast and why are shortages so dire?

What's happening with all the money?

You've got a 100% conservative state government and even the Rs are mad about Jindal.

Seriously. What has he done that's caused the state to need to sell off its assets to cover short term shortages given that the state is supposed to be in such a great economic state relative to the rest of the nation?

Cosmic201

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Well, for one he shepherded in the largest income tax break in Louisiana history (just a break for the highest bracket mind you).

QSTA

All-Pro
Reaction score
Tell me guys.

Why with all the oil being produced - more than ever - is La broke?

Why with the stimulus of Katrina and the resurgence of the area is La broke?

Why is tuition in La going up so fast and why are shortages so dire?

What's happening with all the money?

You've got a 100% conservative state government and even the Rs are mad about Jindal.

Seriously. What has he done that's caused the state to need to sell off its assets to cover short term shortages given that the state is supposed to be in such a great economic state relative to the rest of the nation?

I'll try to give it a shot...

1) Certain areas of the state are doing great, such as Lafayette. Lafayette is a "service company city", meaning we send the workers and expertise to drill, but do not retain the profits like Houston. Also, from what I hear from those in O&G, the Haynesville Shale is slowing down, and those employees are now in Ohio and the Dakota's. The next phase is using the depressed pricing of natural gas to fire-up new plants being built in Lake Charles and Baton Rouge. The Lake Charles area plant (Sassol) will be the most expensive private investment in the history of Louisiana.

2) The Katrina bubble is clearly done, followed by the BP bubble.

3) Tuition has increased throughout the US. Also, Louisiana can not sustain having colleges every 30 miles. It's a reverse NIMBY proposition. Foster implemented funding increases through the years, which was followed by Blanco. The increases were not much, but considering the starting point, it was an increase nonetheless.

4) IMO, Louisiana is a poor state. Nothing has changed. We wasted our opportunity in the 70's to make fundamental changes.

5) I often chuckle when people consider the state legislature conservative. If you have someone like John Alerio(sp?) running the show, you have nothing more than a person who is a political opportunist. Hell, he only switched to the GOP when Jindal was elected. We tried term limits, and the politicians simply switched from the house to the senate, or senate to the house.

By the way, Jindal sucks!

Sun Wukong

Worlds Deadliest Fighting Arts Champion and Master
Reaction score
Also, from what I hear from those in O&G, the Haynesville Shale is slowing down, and those employees are now in Ohio and the Dakota's.
Its pretty much completely dead at this point. It busted nearly as fast as it boomed and most of the major players have pulled out. The landowners got their payouts, but its over now.

drob8785

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'll try to give it a shot...

1) Certain areas of the state are doing great, such as Lafayette. Lafayette is a "service company city", meaning we send the workers and expertise to drill, but do not retain the profits like Houston. Also, from what I hear from those in O&G, the Haynesville Shale is slowing down, and those employees are now in Ohio and the Dakota's. The next phase is using the depressed pricing of natural gas to fire-up new plants being built in Lake Charles and Baton Rouge. The Lake Charles area plant (Sassol) will be the most expensive private investment in the history of Louisiana.
I think DTC's point was about the State's general finances, not specific areas. Our O&G industry is doing great, when you consider that it's had to weather several major hurricanes, the Deepwater Horizon spill, and a down economy.

You're right about the profits heading to Houston -- I'll add that much of the tax revenue produced off our shores heads to Washington, not Baton Rouge.

2) The Katrina bubble is clearly done, followed by the BP bubble.
I'd actually argue that the city has been successful in avoiding a Katrina bubble. Yes, there was a lot of Federal and State investment in the city post-K, and much of that has been spent or ended, but the city is humming along quite well.

In fact, the newest numbers from the Census Bureau has Orleans Parish the fastest growing urban center over the last couple of years. There's lots of investment and new growth still going on in the city -- businesses flocking towards new streetcar lines on Loyola and Rampart/St Claude, Freret's rejuvenation, the new hospitals, etc.

The BP money is looking more like a bubble, especially when the Governor and others have so poorly mishandled how and where the money is spent, and even by who.

OP's link is just one example.

See also here: Eco vs. econo: 11th-hour dispute over plan to spend $20B in BP fines | The Lens

And here: State officials criticize $60 million BP donation deal, warn of precedent | The Lens

3) Tuition has increased throughout the US. Also, Louisiana can not sustain having colleges every 30 miles. It's a reverse NIMBY proposition. Foster implemented funding increases through the years, which was followed by Blanco. The increases were not much, but considering the starting point, it was an increase nonetheless.
Excusing Jindal's butchering of Louisiana's public universities on Foster and Blanco's increases is a cop-out.

4) IMO, Louisiana is a poor state. Nothing has changed. We wasted our opportunity in the 70's to make fundamental changes.
We are a poor state, sure. But that's no excuse for Jindal's financial mismanagement.

5) I often chuckle when people consider the state legislature conservative. If you have someone like John Alerio(sp?) running the show, you have nothing more than a person who is a political opportunist. Hell, he only switched to the GOP when Jindal was elected. We tried term limits, and the politicians simply switched from the house to the senate, or senate to the house.
Your point here is right -- just your terminology is wrong.

Louisiana is a conservative state -- whether you have a (D) or (R) after your name.

We've also been traditionally a one-party state. Until really the last 15-20 years, if you wanted a political future in the state, you were a Democrat. Now you need to be a Republican.

QSTA

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think DTC's point was about the State's general finances, not specific areas. Our O&G industry is doing great, when you consider that it's had to weather several major hurricanes, the Deepwater Horizon spill, and a down economy.

You're right about the profits heading to Houston -- I'll add that much of the tax revenue produced off our shores heads to Washington, not Baton Rouge.

I'd actually argue that the city has been successful in avoiding a Katrina bubble. Yes, there was a lot of Federal and State investment in the city post-K, and much of that has been spent or ended, but the city is humming along quite well.

In fact, the newest numbers from the Census Bureau has Orleans Parish the fastest growing urban center over the last couple of years. There's lots of investment and new growth still going on in the city -- businesses flocking towards new streetcar lines on Loyola and Rampart/St Claude, Freret's rejuvenation, the new hospitals, etc.

The BP money is looking more like a bubble, especially when the Governor and others have so poorly mishandled how and where the money is spent, and even by who.

OP's link is just one example.

See also here: Eco vs. econo: 11th-hour dispute over plan to spend $20B in BP fines | The Lens

And here: State officials criticize $60 million BP donation deal, warn of precedent | The Lens

Excusing Jindal's butchering of Louisiana's public universities on Foster and Blanco's increases is a cop-out.

We are a poor state, sure. But that's no excuse for Jindal's financial mismanagement.

Your point here is right -- just your terminology is wrong.

Louisiana is a conservative state -- whether you have a (D) or (R) after your name.

We've also been traditionally a one-party state. Until really the last 15-20 years, if you wanted a political future in the state, you were a Democrat. Now you need to be a Republican.

2)If my remarks about New Orleans painted a picture of boom - bust, I apologize. I believe what New Orleans has been able to accomplish has been nothing short of amazing.

"First there were the reports after Hurricane Katrina about idealistic, educated young adults streaming in to join the rebuilding and fuel an awakening of entrepreneurship. Now the surveyors of that entrepreneurial landscape say they are seeing a new development: Experienced professionals and veteran entrepreneurs, including New Orleans natives who left in the 1980s or 1990s to build careers elsewhere, are coming back".
Resurgent New Orleans attracting seasoned entrepreneurs | NOLA.com

3) I'm not trying to make excuses for Jindal. What I was trying to convey is that tuition for a college education has increased throughout the US. Do you disagree? As far as the decrease in funding.....I'm sorry I don't think it is as shameful as most on this board believe. As I stated in my earlier post, we have way to many 4 year institutions, and more money should be invested in the community college system. Just my opinion.

5) Voting is based on committee assignments, and bacon. See Sen. Mary L. as example #1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom