Riley Announces Shortened Mardi Gras (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Today New Orleans Police Chief Warren Riley announced a 10-day Mardi Gras parade schedule for 2007, citing safety for a shortened carnival parade season.

A shortened schedule reflects earlier starting times and shortened routes, Riley said.

"We have fewer officers this year. If we had the numbers, we would do a normal Mardi Gras," Riley said.

"We have lost almost 300 officers this year--not since Katrina," Riley said.

http://www.nola.com/weblogs/mardigrasfaq/

Sucks, but they're putting safety first.

Yea, it does stink. I wish we could get some help from BR or other parishes around the State.

I think the problem is, how can we keep our police officers?

300 in a year is a lot to lose. I am more concerned about the crime levels than whether or not Mardi Gras is shortened.

i mardi gras in metry brah.....safer, more family freindly, traffic is far less, etc.

Sorry to hear that.

well i don't do mardi gras day in new orleans...i do go to bacchus and endymion.....as for mardi gras day, there is no need to bring my 3 year old(he will be 4 by then) out to st charles ave for mardi gras day...it's easier in metairie and he doesn't know the difference....

i thought mardi gras last year was pretty damn good. the atmosphere was far different from years past. hopefully we can capture that atmosphere for years to come...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom