RIP Blackberry (1 Viewer)

My wife bought herself a Blackberry Storm when it came out in 2008 (because Verizon didn't yet offer the iPhone). This is the one that Stephen Fry notoriously called "the Edsel of smartphones, an absolute smeller from top to bottom," and is often described as the worst new release in smartphone history. We still have it, in a drawer somewhere. Sometimes when we catch our son using his iPhone when he shouldn't be, we mock-threaten to take it away and give him the Storm instead, on the theory that he could still use it an emergency but not otherwise.

Ah yes, the Storm. What a piece of work

I loved my Curve and 8830 though

My Curve was the best device I ever used.

I used to be a Blackberry fanatic. Mainly cuz I loved the keyboard. When I switched to the Evo, it took a while for me to get used to the full screen. The keyboards on screen have improved a good bit and I like that you can go either landscape or portrait with them. For while you couldn't switch them and it was a huge pain for me.

My first smartphone was a storm. I keep it about 2 months and gave up trying to use it. Went back to a flip phone for a while.

My Curve was the best device I ever used.

Had a Curve back in the day, and then a Torch. Loved them both; REALLY loved the Torch-- the slide screen was the bomb. Both of them, however, were in my shorts pocket when I jumped off my boat into waist-deep water, shortly followed by an, "aww, CRAP!!" Last time that happened, I had to go up to the Samsung Galaxy 5S, which is better for me in boating but I STILL hate not having a real keyboard with physical buttons. I tend to butt-dial (in my case, "pocket-dial" people more often, too.

What's the phone where you can rescind text messages? Make stuff disappear from other people's phone that you sent ? It's also encrypted. I think that's gonna be my next phone....

Blackberry Messenger has a private mode that does all that I believe. Never had a chance to use it. But I think it available for iphones and android. Even hides the senders info.

The phone you're talking about is the Blackphone.

I loved the QWERTY keyboard. Much prefer the tactile feel of a physical keyboard. That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the touchscreen real estate. I used to love the sliding keyboard phones for this reason. The downside for those was that they tended to break easily because of the moving parts. There's no perfect phone out there.

I loved the QWERTY keyboard. Much prefer the tactile feel of a physical keyboard. That said, I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the touchscreen real estate. I used to love the sliding keyboard phones for this reason. The downside for those was that they tended to break easily because of the moving parts. There's no perfect phone out there.

I loved the HTC Titan I had on Verizon. Sliding keyboard with touch screen.

This thread is going to have a longer life than the device itself!
Ultimately, yeah, lol. It was a pretty good run for them while it was hot. From 1999 when their first device was released until about 2013 when users started to really drop. Their peak was in 2011. I'm definitely gonna have to check out the movie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom