RIP Eddie Van Halen (2 Viewers)

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I’ve always believed that when it comes down to it rock guitarists are a lot less than someone who is a classical guitarist. Rock goes for show, and a whole lot of other things, but holding to structure, composition and such, generally lacking. Which is why even though he had such a short career Randy Rhodes is so amazing. Coming from a classically trained background out him at a different level. Page is heavily experimental, and best of the bunch at emotion in his playing. Although if you watch him in the O2 concert where he is clean and sober, his technical skill is astounding also.
To me Eddie, along with being a master showman, is that he simply knew how to put good music together. Wether it was VH or if it was rearranging Beat It while Jones and Jackson were out of the room. He knew what sounded good. He really didn’t invent anything, the tapping has been around forever, However, as much as Eddie complained about Roth, Roth was equally important in the showmanship of VH.
Classical guitarists are more technically proficient than pretty much every rock guitarist - if I remember this right, even Eddie had a story about how he wrote "Spanish Fly" he said something like it would have been too difficult for him to pull off, but he came up with some shortcut/cheat, but that would not have been necessary for a good classical guitarist.

The challenge that rock guitarists have, is generating a unique sound, and not just "sounding just like X" (although sometimes, you can get away with just doing that). They also have to gel with the rest of a band, which is something that classical guitarists may not necessarily need to do.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
He really didn’t invent anything, the tapping has been around forever, However, as much as Eddie complained about Roth, Roth was equally important in the showmanship of VH.
Yes, it seems alot of folks assume he invented tapping but Allen Holdsworth was the first I've ever heard doing it. He was a huge influence on a young EVH....

EVH definitely brought it to the mainstream, damn...still can't believe he is gone....

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, it seems alot of folks assume he invented tapping but Allen Holdsworth was the first I've ever heard doing it. He was a huge influence on a young EVH....

EVH definitely brought it to the mainstream, damn...still can't believe he is gone....
Yep, EVH was the first I ever saw doing the tapping technique. And not only could he do it with ease, he made it sound great and added another dimension to the music. Van Halen was a big part of the reason I became a rock and heavy metal fan.

DCSaints_Fan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

EVH said he got the idea from watching Jimmy Page

Noble Saint

Former NFL Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve been watching a ton of EVH videos on YouTube the last 24 hours with Delta moving past. One of his comments really sticks out when he was talking about his style and how everyone does it now. Something along the lines of, ‘I never had a guitar lesson. I didn’t do it by the book. I think you limit yourself and the evolution when you don’t have your own style’

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve been watching a ton of EVH videos on YouTube the last 24 hours with Delta moving past. One of his comments really sticks out when he was talking about his style and how everyone does it now. Something along the lines of, ‘I never had a guitar lesson. I didn’t do it by the book. I think you limit yourself and the evolution when you don’t have your own style’
Which is funny because his music sense was really good. I liked that his style along with the band thought outside the box. Their music sounds great across multiple generations of fans.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well until they got rid of David lee Roth....
To some degree, yeah. The DLR version was better in a lot of ways, but I liked the Hagar days alright too. Reminds be a bit of how Metallica changed after the Black album.

OP
El Caliente

El Caliente

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
70002 via 92243 via 48109 via 92122 via 70119
well until they got rid of David lee Roth....
I like a good bit of Van Hagar (apparently Hagar’s prior band Montrose was a big influence on E&A VH). Diamond Dave was obviously the better front man, but Hagar had some great stuff as well.

Now if someone other than his agent can explain to the class why Garry Cherone had any business up there that would be informative AF.

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Jimi Hendrix never took a lesson as well. It's genius you are born with. I remember watching a VH1 special about Ozzie
years ago. His wife Sharon told a story about Randy Rhodes. His mother enrolled him in a classical music class. The
instructor called his mother 6 weeks later and said There is nothing more I can teach him. He's better than I am

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like a good bit of Van Hagar (apparently Hagar’s prior band Montrose was a big influence on E&A VH). Diamond Dave was obviously the better front man, but Hagar had some great stuff as well.

Now if someone other than his agent can explain to the class why Garry Cherone had any business up there that would be informative AF.
My guess is he was the talentless hack that would do whatever Eddie wanted.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've had the Joe Dirt "Van Halen" vs. "Van Hagar" debate with many. Roth is the original sound of the band and I get why a lot of fans think VH after him isn't authentic. I love the original VH, myself, but was never a fan of DLR's vocals, His trademark. screech/scream became annoying after a while. Now, I'll admit that I am a Hagar fan since his days with Montrose. DLR is the better showman, but they traded up on vocals with Sammy Hagar in this fan's opinion.

Last edited:

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I've had the Joe Dirt "Van Halen" vs. "Van Hagar" with many. Roth is the original sound of the band and I get why a lot of fans think VH after him isn't authentic. I love the original VH, myself, but was never a fan of DLR's vocals, His trademark, screech/scream became annoying after a while. Now, I'll admit that I am a Hagar fan since his days with Montrose. DLR is the better showman, but they traded up on vocals with Sammy Hagar in this fans opinion.
My thoughts as well. Imo, Sammy Hager is a better musician than Roth

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Headlines

Top Bottom