RIP Eddie Van Halen (1 Viewer)

well until they got rid of David lee Roth....
I like a good bit of Van Hagar (apparently Hagar’s prior band Montrose was a big influence on E&A VH). Diamond Dave was obviously the better front man, but Hagar had some great stuff as well.

Now if someone other than his agent can explain to the class why Garry Cherone had any business up there that would be informative AF.

I’ve been watching a ton of EVH videos on YouTube the last 24 hours with Delta moving past. One of his comments really sticks out when he was talking about his style and how everyone does it now. Something along the lines of, ‘I never had a guitar lesson. I didn’t do it by the book. I think you limit yourself and the evolution when you don’t have your own style’

Jimi Hendrix never took a lesson as well. It's genius you are born with. I remember watching a VH1 special about Ozzie
years ago. His wife Sharon told a story about Randy Rhodes. His mother enrolled him in a classical music class. The
instructor called his mother 6 weeks later and said There is nothing more I can teach him. He's better than I am

I like a good bit of Van Hagar (apparently Hagar’s prior band Montrose was a big influence on E&A VH). Diamond Dave was obviously the better front man, but Hagar had some great stuff as well.

Now if someone other than his agent can explain to the class why Garry Cherone had any business up there that would be informative AF.
My guess is he was the talentless hack that would do whatever Eddie wanted.

I've had the Joe Dirt "Van Halen" vs. "Van Hagar" debate with many. Roth is the original sound of the band and I get why a lot of fans think VH after him isn't authentic. I love the original VH, myself, but was never a fan of DLR's vocals, His trademark. screech/scream became annoying after a while. Now, I'll admit that I am a Hagar fan since his days with Montrose. DLR is the better showman, but they traded up on vocals with Sammy Hagar in this fan's opinion.

Last edited:
I've had the Joe Dirt "Van Halen" vs. "Van Hagar" with many. Roth is the original sound of the band and I get why a lot of fans think VH after him isn't authentic. I love the original VH, myself, but was never a fan of DLR's vocals, His trademark, screech/scream became annoying after a while. Now, I'll admit that I am a Hagar fan since his days with Montrose. DLR is the better showman, but they traded up on vocals with Sammy Hagar in this fans opinion.
My thoughts as well. Imo, Sammy Hager is a better musician than Roth

For the D.L.R. Fans here is a 3 hour interview he did with Joe Rogan last year. It is worth the watch.

A 3 hour interview? Uh, nope, I ain't got time fo dat. :hihi:

But seriously, I'll watch a bit. He looks so old. Geez. Lol. He actually looks pretty healthy though.

Last edited:
My 7-year-old has discovered Jump. And I have rediscovered how ridiculous the guitar solo is in that song. It isn’t very long but otherworldly masterful. It’s sublime, it’s perfection, it’s something only one man in history could have ever laid down from his body through his fingers to the tape.

My 7-year-old has discovered Jump. And I have rediscovered how ridiculous the guitar solo is in that song. It isn’t very long but otherworldly masterful. It’s sublime, it’s perfection, it’s something only one man in history could have ever laid down from his body through his fingers to the tape.

Yeah, that happened with my older son. But he's more of a Dreams guy. But all of my kids like Jump. Heh.

And agreed on the guitar solo. Gets better with age tbh.

That’s funny. My two daughters came home from school this week asking if I had heard a song called Jump. I didn’t know if they meant Jump Around (by House of Pain) or some other Jump song, and then my 7 years old says “it goes “might as well jump””, and I knew. Apparently they have been playing it in PE to warm up. I suppose it’s better then playing Jump as opposed to “Hot for Teacher”.

I think if you were to asked EVH, or both Van Halen brothers respectively, they probably would've agreed with same sentiment most of the band's fans towards him--a decent, theoretical experiment that seems or sounds good enough but fails completely once you try and implement his singing into their sound on an album, it's just falls flat. I suspect that if EVH could've gone back and re-done things, he probably tries to placate Sammy Hagar more or be more sympathetic, less combative towards him and his delicate personal life at the time, that typified their relationship during the 1995 Balance album.

I also believe Hagar's skepticism was warranted in early 1996 when the band first started discussing the idea of a greatest hits album. The idea, IIRC, came from a new business partner Eddie had met and suggested it as a way to help promote sales or keep the band in public limelight after Balance tour ended. It was a ill-fated idea that ultimately led to the final strains in Hagar/Van Halen brothers relationship blowing that band apart and they never really recovered, IMHO, after Hagar left in mid-1996.

Bit of rock history trivia, Sammy Hagar actually attended the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival as a fan and was completely blown away by this then-new electrifying guitarist named Jimi Hendrix who was playing his first American concert in June 1967. Hagar has always insisted the only two bands who really shocked, amazed and frightened the audiences were Hendrix and the Who. Especially the Who. Those four rock musicians from Shepherd's Bush, London had a raw, punk-like visceral energy that seems more like a sonic hurricane punching and thrashing people and other musicians in the face like angry yobs let loose from a Bedlam insane asylum.

I've been going back and listening to multiple VH songs off different albums. Many of the songs I had forgotten but .....BAM.....oh yeah, now I remember this riff or sequence.

The song and guitar work (and just nasty sound) that really stand out is Mean Street....I mean, wow, the rhythm playing may be better than the lead...he pulls out every trick in the book on that song...DLR remains just a tad annoying with his yelping....

I've been going back and listening to multiple VH songs off different albums. Many of the songs I had forgotten but .....BAM.....oh yeah, now I remember this riff or sequence.

The song and guitar work (and just nasty sound) that really stand out is Mean Street....I mean, wow, the rhythm playing may be better than the lead...he pulls out every trick in the book on that song...DLR remains just a tad annoying with his yelping....

Yeah, DLR's vocals weren't exactly the best match for VH, but he made up for that with his stage presence and antics. Some might say it was distracting, but I thought it gave VH some extra flair and pop. In the DLR interview posted earlier, man, he's got energy to burn. He can talk his arse off, lol.

I think if you were to asked EVH, or both Van Halen brothers respectively, they probably would've agreed with same sentiment most of the band's fans towards him--a decent, theoretical experiment that seems or sounds good enough but fails completely once you try and implement his singing into their sound on an album, it's just falls flat. I suspect that if EVH could've gone back and re-done things, he probably tries to placate Sammy Hagar more or be more sympathetic, less combative towards him and his delicate personal life at the time, that typified their relationship during the 1995 Balance album.

The Cherone experiment has to be judged a failure but I actually think he’s a good vocalist and a good frontman, just not one that quite fit in with Van Halen. I’ve seen him live a couple of times with Extreme and thought they were really good. VHIII is a bit of a punchline and is clearly one of their weakest offerings but going back and listening, I don’t think it’s all to do with Cherone but rather some of what Eddie tried (lead vocals on How Many Say I, for example). Also I preferred his versions of the classic Van Halen songs to Hagar’s (Hagar singing Jump and Panama just sounded weird and off).

Yeah, DLR's vocals weren't exactly the best match for VH, but he made up for that with his stage presence and antics. Some might say it was distracting, but I thought it gave VH some extra flair and pop. In the DLR interview posted earlier, man, he's got energy to burn. He can talk his arse off, lol.

I was on a bachelor party in Vegas and we had tickets to DLR’s solo show when COVID19 hit and resulted in its cancellation about three days out. I’ve never seen DLR live (other than the one time he toured Australia with Van Halen). Probably won’t ever get the chance to see his solo show now, which sucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom