RIP Eddie Van Halen (1 Viewer)

Yeah, DLR's vocals weren't exactly the best match for VH, but he made up for that with his stage presence and antics. Some might say it was distracting, but I thought it gave VH some extra flair and pop. In the DLR interview posted earlier, man, he's got energy to burn. He can talk his arse off, lol.

I bought tickets for my mother and her best friend to see VH on the 1984 tour, DLR wore a pair of assless pants. I was OMG, my
moms friend thought it was the coolest thing she ever saw

I bought tickets for my mother and her best friend to see VH on the 1984 tour, DLR wore a pair of assless pants. I was OMG, my
moms friend thought it was the coolest thing she ever saw

Lmao, that's definitely typical DLR. He's a trip.

catching up with my musicologist tonight and noticed he'd posted this vid the day b4 eddie died

timely, fun, well played, and a great song choice for a memoriam... 12mins, enjoy

Tour being discussed. Might be something, might be all talk.

I've been going back and listening to multiple VH songs off different albums. Many of the songs I had forgotten but .....BAM.....oh yeah, now I remember this riff or sequence.

The song and guitar work (and just nasty sound) that really stand out is Mean Street....I mean, wow, the rhythm playing may be better than the lead...he pulls out every trick in the book on that song...DLR remains just a tad annoying with his yelping....
I know this is an old thread. My personal favorite nasty sound was take your whiskey home.

I'd love to see a reunion. Sammy can still play that red guitar

I know this is an old thread. My personal favorite nasty sound was take your whiskey home.

I'd love to see a reunion. Sammy can still play that red guitar

Yes he can! However, neither he nor DLR can sing anymore.

Yes he can! However, neither he nor DLR can sing anymore.
You do know that the Van Halen brothers never really were enamored with Roth's singing abilities. But, he got the job because back then, in the late 70's, if a prospective singer owned a PA system, they were accepted as singers, whether they could sing or not. A similar incident happened that allowed Ozzy Osbourne to become lead singer of a band that eventually Became Black Sabbath in Birmingham, UK in the late 60's. Also, DLR had and possessed a ton of charisma, on-stage theatrics, public silliness, and addle-brain wackiness that made him hard to dislike from a fan's perspective. Plus, maybe the Van Halen brothers looked at other similar bands like AC/DC with harsh, gravely-voiced singers and thought, "Maybe we don't need some Robert Plant-like vocalist too" to sell records, these guys(AC/DC) have terrible singers and still sell records, we can too".

You do know that the Van Halen brothers never really were enamored with Roth's singing abilities. But, he got the job because back then, in the late 70's, if a prospective singer owned a PA system, they were accepted as singers, whether they could sing or not. A similar incident happened that allowed Ozzy Osbourne to become lead singer of a band that eventually Became Black Sabbath in Birmingham, UK in the late 60's. Also, DLR had and possessed a ton of charisma, on-stage theatrics, public silliness, and addle-brain wackiness that made him hard to dislike from a fan's perspective. Plus, maybe the Van Halen brothers looked and other similar bands like AC/DC with harsh, gravely-vpiced singers and thought, "Maybe we don't need some Robert Plant-like vocalist too" sell records, these guys have terrible singers and still sell records, we can too.
Did you know DLR copied his style from Black Oak Arkansas lead singer Jim Mangnum?

Did you know DLR copied his style from Black Oak Arkansas lead singer Jim Mangnum?
Yep, I also know that the original members of Black Oak Arkansas were hardcore juvenile delinquents, they even released a press statement in 1972 after they'd become famous bragging that they stole a massive PA system from a high school gym in rural Arkansas in the late 1960's.

You do know that the Van Halen brothers never really were enamored with Roth's singing abilities. But, he got the job because back then, in the late 70's, if a prospective singer owned a PA system, they were accepted as singers, whether they could sing or not. A similar incident happened that allowed Ozzy Osbourne to become lead singer of a band that eventually Became Black Sabbath in Birmingham, UK in the late 60's. Also, DLR had and possessed a ton of charisma, on-stage theatrics, public silliness, and addle-brain wackiness that made him hard to dislike from a fan's perspective. Plus, maybe the Van Halen brothers looked at other similar bands like AC/DC with harsh, gravely-voiced singers and thought, "Maybe we don't need some Robert Plant-like vocalist too" to sell records, these guys(AC/DC) have terrible singers and still sell records, we can too".
I’ve always liked Ozzy’s vocals. DLR, not so much.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom