NBA News RIP Former NBA Commissioner David Stern (1 Viewer)

He’s also the reason we have dynasties instead of competitive teams
- like RG he was more concerned with the franchises than the sport
I don’t care if that’s what he’s supposed to do, I dobt/didn’t like it

What he did was transcendent. By making the NBA bigger and promoting the Stars he helped transform sports. The NFL adopted much of what he did. Now the NFL is the biggest sport in America. Now they are trying to make themselves global.

Before Stern many NBA games that were aired on TV already happened. Even the NBA Finals. Pretty hard to believe.

When he became commissioner, the Finals were aired on tape delay.
I think that shows how far he took the Association.

He’s also the reason we have dynasties instead of competitive teams
- like RG he was more concerned with the franchises than the sport
I don’t care if that’s what he’s supposed to do, I dobt/didn’t like it
That’s always been a part of the DNA of the NBA. From the 50s-60s Celtics to 80s Lakers to 90s Bulls to 00s Lakers to 10s Warriors.
It’s been like that before Stern.

I'm not entirely sure many former NBA fans in Seattle are too broken up or heartbroken to see Stern's death, considering one of his few failures, maybe his biggest failure was allowing a duplicitous, conniving businessman named Clay Bennett essentially lie to former Sonics owners, fans, media, business and civic leaders that he wanted to stay in Seattle when that wasn't he even close to his true intentions-he and Audrey McClendon intended to buy the franchise, go through the motions of saying they want to stay in PNW, but colluded with Stern's approval and knowledge to move the Sonics to OKC- a quid pro quo for being a good, temporary host city for old New Orleans Hornets who played a majority of games at Ford Center for two seasons following the enormous damage done by Hurricane Katrina to city of New Orleans in September 2005.

Seattle Supersonics were Seattle's first professional franchise in city's history, in 1967, and for nearly 12 years, despite NBA assurances they'll eventually get another team, Seattle still hasn't replaced the Sonics, so they'll have to settle for an expansion NHL team in 2022 instead. Stern failed and arguably betrayed Seattle NBA fans who had been one of the most.loyal, diehard, NBA fanbases in its 41-year history.

When he became commissioner, the Finals were aired on tape delay.
I think that shows how far he took the Association.

I agree 100%. The finals were broadcast after the local 10 pm news. Who wants to watch a game at 11pm knowing the outcome
of the game before it starts?

I'll add this however. He didn't do it alone. The arrival of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson in 1980 plus Jordan in 1984 helped greatly.

I'll add this however. He didn't do it alone. The arrival of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson in 1980 plus Jordan in 1984 helped greatly.

QFT....without Larry Bird and Magic, the NBA is not where it is today...they are more responsible for saving the NBA than Stern is....Stern brought the NBA to new heights from a revenue/business perspective but I have mixed feelings about how he did it...promoting individual stars I think did not help the quality of the game....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom