RIP Lamont Dozier (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Part of Motown’s famed HDH, Holland Dozier Holland writing team responsible for countless hit songs
=============
Lamont Dozier, the Motown legend behind hits for artists such as the Supremes, the Four Tops and the Isley Brothers, has died aged 81.

The news was confirmed by his son Lamont Dozier Jr on Instagram. No cause of death has been released as yet.

As one third of production team Holland–Dozier–Holland, Dozier was responsible for 10 of the Supremes’ 12 US No 1 singles, including Baby Love and You Keep Me Hanging On……

Last edited:

Last edited:
How do you find the right team members?

“First of all, I write lyrics and music so I have never looked for team members. They just have happened on me by circumstance. My experiences have always been trial and error, with the ones that work being someone who is like a mind reader, knowing what I am feeling and wanting to express, and they just start playing what I am thinking the song needs or writing the words that I myself cannot express! And it’s a special relationship that’s got a lot of spiritual aspects to it as I believe higher sources are influencing the writing, and when it flows out of you, you kind of know that’s what’s going on. So if you’re with someone who’s on that level, and you’re able to create together, it just happens.”

How do you know if the chemistry is right?

“Collaboration is a relationship like between lovers. It’s very special and can only work if each is bringing their 100 percent to the relationship. The chemistry is right when things just click and you respect what each other is bringing to the song, and you can be honest about how you feel about the contribution and take the criticism yourself when the other party has something to say to you about it all as well.”

Is it important each member has a defined role in the writing process, or should it be fluid?

“I think it should be fluid. In my case, I write everything, but when someone else has an expertise in one area or another, or they are like me and do it all, we just decide what sounds the best for the song and the artist/project we are either specifically writing it for or hope to pitch. Long ago when I was writing and producing with Brian and Eddie Holland, we had very defined roles once HDH started going. I was the idea man who came up with the song musically and lyrically, and then Brian would jump on the piano and add to it. We’d go into the studio and cut the track, and then I’d start the lyrics and hooks, and give Eddie the assignment of finishing it off. Then in the studio, he would guide the lead vocalist into a great performance, along with Brian and myself, and then I would do the background arrangements and teach the parts to the artists. We were a well-oiled machine back in the day. I don’t know if that process works these days. I’ve never had that experience again after leaving the Holland brothers.”

What should you think about when choosing artists/projects to write for?

“I am attracted to a ‘sound’ of the artist when choosing a singer. Someone with a unique sound and style always draws me in and it becomes a wonderful challenge for me to be able to help them create a persona for their audience with a great song and production to indelibly make a mark in the business!”…….

The list of songs this man had a hand in writing is amazing. What a talent. You will be missed, sir!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom