RIP, Ross Perot Sr (1 Viewer)

Rickboy

Nom Nom Nom Nom.. me hungry for a SuperBowl
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have known and worked for this man. I had lunch with him one day after snuck up behind me in the cafeteria line. It was a great conversation. Later my career kinda kicked off at Perot Systems after I came up with the idea to create a virtualization practice to turn one of our accounts profitable. I had to go explain everything about virtualization to Ross Sr and the other execs. The whole conversation was funny as hell. When Ross Sr spoke, you shut up and listened because he was about to lay down some wisdom.

The halls of the HQ for Perot Systems were basically a huge museum. When the Soviet Union collapsed, the Russian space agency had to sell off a bunch of historical artifacts to make ends meet. Ross bought almost every item and kept them on display at our building. He told the Russians that if they ever wanted those artifacts back, he would sell them back at the price he paid. Other parts of HQ had a computer museum with a fully restored and functional ENIAC. There was also the Presidential Election hall with all those charts he showed on TV. It was a great place to work.

RIP Ross Sr. You'll be missed.

I liked him and voted for him with my first vote cast in a Presidential election. I believe he would have been an excellent President. RIP

I was fortunate to have known and worked for this man. I had lunch with him one day after snuck up behind me in the cafeteria line. It was a great conversation. Later my career kinda kicked off at Perot Systems after I came up with the idea to create a virtualization practice to turn one of our accounts profitable. I had to go explain everything about virtualization to Ross Sr and the other execs. The whole conversation was funny as hell. When Ross Sr spoke, you shut up and listened because he was about to lay down some wisdom.

The halls of the HQ for Perot Systems were basically a huge museum. When the Soviet Union collapsed, the Russian space agency had to sell off a bunch of historical artifacts to make ends meet. Ross bought almost every item and kept them on display at our building. He told the Russians that if they ever wanted those artifacts back, he would sell them back at the price he paid. Other parts of HQ had a computer museum with a fully restored and functional ENIAC. There was also the Presidential Election hall with all those charts he showed on TV. It was a great place to work.

RIP Ross Sr. You'll be missed.

I worked for CIO over a hospital system out of Nashville who came from Perot Systems, who others claimed that this particular CIO's had pictures of him in the war lined up in Perot's halls. Initials of S.T. if that rings a bell with you.

Without him, Bill Clinton would have never been elected president.
I was getting my oil changed today at the dealership so 24/7 news was on and Perot's former campaign mgr. was being interviewed and was asked this question. His reply was that is a huge myth, the numbers were just there for Clinton in the end, the only thing that helped Clinton with Perot, is that when he dropped out of the race, this allowed Clinton to form a new strategy and gain the momentum that he was already creeping on.

I was getting my oil changed today at the dealership so 24/7 news was on and Perot's former campaign mgr. was being interviewed and was asked this question. His reply was that is a huge myth, the numbers were just there for Clinton in the end, the only thing that helped Clinton with Perot, is that when he dropped out of the race, this allowed Clinton to form a new strategy and gain the momentum that he was already creeping on.

A myth? really? Its no myth Ross Perot split the republican vote, no democrats abandoned Clinton, it was republicans P'Oed at Bush for going back on his no new taxes pledge. Had half of Perot's 19.7 million votes gone to Bushes 39.1 million votes, he would have destroyed Clinton's abysmal 44..9 million votes.

This 3 way race allowed Clinton to win the presidency with only 43.1% of the popular vote.

This was most felt in California where Perot's 2.29 million votes directly lead to Bush's (3.6 million) losing the states 54 electoral votes to Clinton's 5.1 million votes.

In Illinois, Perot 0.84 swung 22 electoral votes to Clinton 2.4 million vs Bush's 1.7 million.

In Pennsylvania, 0.902 for Perot let Clinton 2.23 take the 23 electoral votes to Bushes 1.791.

Which then closes the game to a multitude of small states, like New Mexico, where Perot's 0.91 votes gave 5 electoral votes to Clinton 0.261 to Bushes 0.212 votes.

The numbers clearly show the campaign managers "explanation" is utter hogwash. Without Ross Perot, Bill Clinton looses the election in a landslide.

I liked him and voted for him with my first vote cast in a Presidential election.

Same here.

I believe he would have been an excellent President. RIP

I’m not so sure about that.. maybe.. but i think Clinton did an excellent job (personal life notwithstanding), at least if you are a fan of economic prosperity and global peace, both of which we had (for the most part) under Clinton.. Perot might have gotten similar results due to the dot.com bubble etc, but we’ll never know.

Same here.

I’m not so sure about that.. maybe.. but i think Clinton did an excellent job (personal life notwithstanding), at least if you are a fan of economic prosperity and global peace, both of which we had (for the most part) under Clinton.. Perot might have gotten similar results due to the dot.com bubble etc, but we’ll never know.

the fiscally conservative republican congress had a lot to with that success as well.

I’ll never forget Perot’s comments about Nafta.
“We’re gonna hear a huge sucking sound as businesses head south to Mexico. And he was right. “
His choice of VP was also memorable. Admiral James Stockdale. “Who am I. Why am I here?” Watching him in the debates was better than any reality tv show imagineable.

We could have used a zany-but-viable third-party candidate a couple of years ago...

No fan of the Clintons or their party here, but had to weigh in as a big fan of history and math...

A myth? really? Its no myth Ross Perot split the republican vote, no democrats abandoned Clinton, it was republicans P'Oed at Bush for going back on his no new taxes pledge.

Yes of course it is a myth that only the most hard-headed Limbaugh-era ditto-heads still maintain. Folks wanted "change" and Clinton had to split the "change" vote with Perot.

Objective fact: exit polls said Perot voters broke evenly among their second choice.

Had half of Perot's 19.7 million votes gone to Bushes 39.1 million votes, he would have destroyed Clinton's abysmal 44..9 million votes.

This is utter silliness. Had the other half of Perot's votes gone to Clinton, then Clinton still would have won. Math. You can't say "what-if" about one half and then ignore the other half.

This 3 way race allowed Clinton to win the presidency with only 43.1% of the popular vote.

That's the bit that unfairly hurts Clinton's legacy, not Bush's legacy. Clinton was gonna win. Perot deprived Clinton of the majority that he won have won otherwise. Two-bit post-Orwellian propagandists like Rush cited the "no majority" talking point repeatedly, but all it means is that Clinton won a 3-way race rather than the usual 2-way race (which arguably is a greater accomplishment, especially by a non-incumbent).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom