RIP Taco Bell 7-Layer Burrito and Nacho Supreme (UPDATE) (1 Viewer)

They might as well just close down now. No pico to hack the meximelt. No mexican pizza. They had got rid of their green sauce a long time ago. What's the point of going there? I can't imagine too many franchise owners are happy about them 86ing their more popular items either. I guess some of them could still hold out but in my experience that never lasts long.

Also I don't know who ever told anyone that Taco Bell was supposed to ever be compared to any kind of authentic Mexican food or adjacent cuisine but they lied to you. Taco Bell is for when you're on a low budget, need something fast, and/or have a craving for something you know is trash nutritionally but somehow still tastes good. Which is why people mourn the items they're getting rid of as those are the ones people had cravings for.

The green sauce is coming back but not at every location I think.

Also I don't know who ever told anyone that Taco Bell was supposed to ever be compared to any kind of authentic Mexican food or adjacent cuisine but they lied to you. Taco Bell is for when you're on a low budget, need something fast, and/or have a craving for something you know is trash nutritionally but somehow still tastes good. Which is why people mourn the items they're getting rid of as those are the ones people had cravings for.

tenordas hates Taco Bell, you eat Subway...

I'm learning things about you guys I never wanted to know.

i don’t actually eat Subway but I occasionally eat Taco Bell with zero shame. I mean, they have the blue Mountain Dew

Jeezus, they are getting rid of pico de gallo and replacing with diced tomatoes??

There goes the Meximelt hack.

If they ever get rid of the Crunchwrap Supremes, they might as well just bulldoze all their locations.

I am really disappointed with Taco Bell. They got rid of the Taco Salad shortly after covid hit. I used to add stuff to it when I got home. The one on Airline is just an absolute disgrace though. I once got a Taco Salad from them and once I got toward the bottom where all the "Spanish Rice" is, I unsuspectedly bit into uncooked rice, shocked I didn't break my tooth from how hard that was. The one over on Bonnabel is much better but I have not been back since they had their menu overhaul.

My pops was pretty let down by the cancellation of the 7 layer burrito but apparently they released a new beef burrito that got some hype. The Report of the Week recently reviewed it.

If you don't follow, check him out, he reviews new fast food releases. He's pretty on point most of the time.

Dave Chang is positively rhapsodical when he talks about Domino's Pizza. And dude even did an episode on "authentic Italian pizza" in Italy.

He also adores Popeye's Red Beans and Rice. But I think most of us here would say what we cook in our own kitchens is superior.

Plenty of amazing chefs love garbage fast food, even with their sophisticated palates.

I grew up eating homemade red beans and rice. And I make a mean red beans and rice myself.

But maaaaan... I will definitely eff with some Popeye's red beans and rice.

I realized this the other day, but on some level I don't even register Popeye's red beans and rice as being like actual red beans and rice. I always get it. I love it. But it may as well be something else entirely from actual red beans and rice.

I realized this the other day, but on some level I don't even register Popeye's red beans and rice as being like actual red beans and rice. I always get it. I love it. But it may as well be something else entirely from actual red beans and rice.
What do you classify them as? My grandmother was a little ol' Cajun woman from Bear Island and Popeye's Red beans are similar to hers. When Copeland opened the old Popeye's on Williams Blvd next to that convenience store, his kids would come over and play with my dads brothers who lived one street behind, maybe they stole the recipe ;).

Taco Bell is top tier. Popeyes sits on the throne, but Taco Bell is sitting at the right hand.

It's fast food, dude. You know its reputation. To accuse Taco Bell of trying to be "real" TexMex or Mexican is establishing a farcical standard.

It's TACO FREAKING BELL.

What are you expecting when you go in there? Greasy food. Massive sodium. Corony-clotting fat.

What aren't you expecting when you go in there? An authentic cabrito torta on homemade bread with a side of menudo made fresh that morning

Taco Bell has only ever satisfied. 100% of the time.

It knows who it is. It knows what it is. And it'll be a sad day on Planet Earth when they think they need to become some food truck on top of a mountain in Monterrey with a kitchen full of abuelitas.

Taco Bell is an AMERICAN INSTITUTION.

Well, sure, fast food is to be expected to be fast food, but when I can go to Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana or Taco Casa and get a far superior product (though obviously none of them are like fine San Antonio restaurants or some of the street food one can get there, of course), why would I settle for Taco Bell's inferior food? Cabana is much closer to authentic Tex Mex, while Bueno and Casa have far superior meat and refritos (they know you make pinto beans with lard, not bacon grease for one thing).

And maybe your last statement spells out the problem, Taco Bell's recipes are way too American, not near enough Mexican.

Well, sure, fast food is to be expected to be fast food, but when I can go to Taco Bueno or Taco Cabana or Taco Casa and get a far superior product (though obviously none of them are like fine San Antonio restaurants or some of the street food one can get there, of course), why would I settle for Taco Bell's inferior food? Cabana is much closer to authentic Tex Mex, while Bueno and Casa have far superior meat and refritos (they know you make pinto beans with lard, not bacon grease for the right flavour).

And maybe your last statement spells out the problem, Taco Bell's recipes are way too American, not near enough Mexican.

I mean, they're no Taco Cabana, that's for sure.

If you tell me you don't like Taco Cabana, well, I know where you live. :cautious:

What about Taco Johns? When I travel out West, for a quick lunch sometimes the team wants Taco Johns, but I have never found anything on that menu to write home about.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom