RIP Vin Scully (1 Viewer)

faceman

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

I'm showing my age again,

His call on Hank Aaron's 715th homer was classic. It's gone and he went and got a coup of coffee . He let the audience enjoy the moment for a few minutes.

RIP - one of the all time great play by play broadcasters. In the 90s I used to listen to him on NBC radio in the car driving between Nashville and New Orleans. His voice and call of games just made the trip more enjoyable.

Vin Scully was one of the bests. I have fond memories of Saturday afternoons in the 80s watching the NBC Game of the Week with Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola calling the game. I know the Mount Rushmore thing has been done to death, but he has to be on the Mount Rushmore of Baseball Announcers.

Good read
==========
He was something that’s pretty much vanished from the American landscape: a genial truth-teller, well-liked because he was honest, beloved because he was reliable, trusted because he loathed phonies, frauds and showboats as much as his audience did.

Vin Scully’s act never fell out of fashion because it wasn’t an act and it was never in fashion.

What he delivered each night through more than six decades as the voice of the Dodgers — really, the voice of baseball; no, really, the voice of the nation — was a clear, unvarnished report of what happened, along with plain-spoken pearls of wisdom about what it all meant.

He issued each night a fanfare for the common man, an American anthem of constancy that never flinched from controversy but never hyped anything either.

His nightly love song to his sport and his audience captured the nation’s triumphs and tensions as Aaron Copland’s music did, told the truth as Walter Cronkite did, burst bubbles of pomposity the way Johnny Carson did, and won our hearts the way the pre-scandal Bill Cosby did.

For Scully, who died Tuesday at 94, there was never any fall from grace, never any fade-out into some new technology.

He was as loved during his last ballgame as he had been throughout. “I have said enough for a lifetime,” he said on that final broadcast in 2016, “and for the last time, I wish you all a very pleasant good afternoon.”

He never trumpeted his achievements, never hyped the action on the field.

Yet he had an uncanny ability to see big stuff coming. His call of Kirk Gibson’s World Series home run in 1988 is justly famous (“The impossible has happened …”), but it’s what he said before the physically wrecked slugger’s mighty swing that reveals Scully’s magical connection with the game’s big moments:

“All year long, they looked to him to light the fire, and all year long, he answered the demands until he was physically unable to start tonight,” Scully said. And then it happened, and Scully said only what was necessary: “High flyball into right field. She is gone.”

Baseball, famously dubbed the only game you can see on the radio, was Scully’s canvas, a game whose leisurely pace and bursts of intense action allow the best storytellers to insinuate themselves into listeners’ lives, night after night, summer after summer……..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom