Rishard Matthews signed (1 Viewer)

Sort of like the Buck Allen signing. Rishard is a healthy, solid, and proven NFL quality complimentary WR. So either we'll have him on the roster, or the guys that beat him out for the job. Either way, we end up with a quality player in that roster spot.

Sort of like the Buck Allen signing. Rishard is a healthy, solid, and proven NFL quality complimentary WR. So either we'll have him on the roster, or the guys that beat him out for the job. Either way, we end up with a quality player in that roster spot.

That’s a great way to look at it. ??

Agree. I also think it's for competition, especially when it comes to WRs who can make plays down the field.

Between this and addressing the interior OL, it makes me wonder if SP feels like our lack of a deep passing game was more on the WRs and OL than it was on the QB.
Teams were really sitting on our underneath throws late last year. To the point I was screaming for us to waste a play or two deep just to put it in the defenders heads that we might throw deep. Problem was with Ginn out, there was next to no threat to stretch the field. I can’t express my excitement enough at the thought of an empty backfield and 5 wide with Thomas, Matthews, Kamara, Cook, and Ginn. What a QB’s dream!!!

Wow. This is not a depth signing. This guy was brought in to compete for "WR2".
Only fantasy football has WR1, WR2 and WR3 positions. It doesn't work that way in the real world of football. That makes as much real world football sense as saying Anzalone was drafted to be LB2.

Matthews was singed to compete as a WR on the outside and/or on the inside depending on his strengths and weaknesses. He may end up being the second best receiver on the team, but he wasn't signed to be WR2.

Good pickup.

I had him as my WR3/Flex a couple of years ago and he def won me a couple of games. Can see him push Meredith down the depth chart and causing him to be cut if he hasn't fully recovered.

Good pickup.

I had him as my WR3/Flex a couple of years ago and he def won me a couple of games..

You could say the same thing about Meredith... unfortunately both players had a lost 2018 season. Think about what Meredith did for the Saints last season... then think about the fact that he had (statistically) a much better season than Matthews did.

Here are his Combine n stat numbers:

His Combine numbers say he’s thick, with fairly long arms, has some agility, and he’s strong in the upper body. But running a 4.6 forty, he’s not fast.

As a pro, he started off slowly, but settled down n had a nice 3 consecutive season run from 2015 to 2017. About 50 catches, 800 yds n 6 TDs.

IF he can get back anywhere CLOSE to that neighborhood here, he can definitely help us!

Does anyone know if he's played much in the slot?

Good question!

I found this article on him after he was signed by the Jets last year:

An excerpt from that article:

“Matthews is a versatile player, capable of producing both out wide and in the slot. While in Tennessee, the majority of his production came from when he was out wide, although he still had some decent production whenever he was targeted in the slot, including four of his nine touchdowns in 2016.”

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom