Rivers race to beat Marino's record! (1 Viewer)

He's been in the top QB discussions for the past couple years now. Especially after we won it all.... In fact, I can't even think of one time since last February where Brees has been left out of that discussion at all, whether purposefully or accidentally..

Last night if you want to get specific. Talk was Brady, Vick, Rivers

I don't care one way or another though, the only time I get ****** at the media is when I'm watching highlights from the weeks games or matchups, etc and they skip over us or show 1 play from the opposing team. Mostly because I think it should be fair across the board for fans of all the teams.

As far as I see it he has been under the radar this season far as from most of the media's prospective, maybe because his stats are not like last seasons but even Brady and Sanchez are taking a backseat for Rivers this season.

The is the issue with Brees. His stats are very comparable to anyone else's in the league, but because he is not putting up ridiculous MVP numbers like the last couple of years, he gets left out of the MVP discussion because he is having a "down year".

He can't win it when he is having a great year and he cant win it when he is having a good year and overcoming team injuries. The man can not win in the eyes of the national media.

He's been in the top QB discussions for the past couple years now. Especially after we won it all.... In fact, I can't even think of one time since last February where Brees has been left out of that discussion at all, whether purposefully or accidentally..

I agree on that. I rather see the team repeat though.

The is the issue with Brees. His stats are very comparable to anyone else's in the league, but because he is not putting up ridiculous MVP numbers like the last couple of years, he gets left out of the MVP discussion because he is having a "down year".

He can't win it when he is having a great year and he cant win it when he is having a good year and overcoming team injuries. The man can not win in the eyes of the national media.

Yeah you're right, it has nothing to do with his 15 picks.

Hey I'm confused about something here.
NFL.com team stats 3201 passing yards
nfl.com player stats 3321 passing yards
Saints.com 3201 passing yards.
Now Chase did come in and play a few downs but that would add to team stats.

The rivers for mvp has tapered off but through 8 games he had 2649 passing yards which put him on pace for 5298 yards that is why he was the frontrunner by far.

Hey I'm confused about something here.
NFL.com team stats 3201 passing yards
nfl.com player stats 3321 passing yards
Saints.com 3201 passing yards.
Now Chase did come in and play a few downs but that would add to team stats.

Team stats have yards lost on sacks subtracted out.

Then that is completely stupid, the ball was never thrown.

I disagree. It's a pass play that failed. Those lost yards have to be accounted for and taking those lost yards out of the rushing total would skew the rushing stats.

It's really not that big of a deal it doesn't affect individual QB's stats just the overall team stats, unlike college where the sack yardage is taken out of the QB's rushing yards.

I don't understand all the Phillip Rivers love concerning him beating Marino's record and being the MVP this year. Two years ago Drew missed out on the MVP and he was alot closer at this point in the season to breaking it. Here are a few other fun facts:

Passing Yards:

River's = 3362
P. Manning = 3344
Brees = 3321
Orton = 3370 (He is actually closer to beating Marino than River's)

So why is all the talk just about River's and none of these other guys?

I thought the part I bold faced was the most enlightening part of this post.

it makes sense to take it out of the team stats and not the player stats. It is more the teams fault than the QB's fault when he is sacked.

Rivers is playing like an animal, he deserves the talk. I can't stand the guy, but that doesn't change what he's doing out there.

We'll see where he stands in February.

6-5 and you call that playing like an animal? With 5 games left they still aren't in playoff contention. Playing like a Donkey maybe if you get my drift.

You have to look at the story in the last few weeks. It seems sillier now. 2-3 weeks ago Rivers was on pace to throw for over 5300 yards, now, he's probably on pace for 4900 or less. I haven't crunched it. He was playing lights out for the first half of the season, but has now slowed down and the other top QB's have essentially caught up.

I don't think he'd seriously get the MVP nod, unless he starts doing some 400+ yard games until the end of the season.

I did want to ask Peter King this question about three weeks ago when he was gushing for Rivers if he did the same for Brees in 2008. I guess I could go back and read his archives. He's normally pretty fair and keeps consistent about a few things. I want to say a few weeks ago he was saying Rivers is playing like a beat, but can we vote in an MVP for a guy on a team with a losing record? That's what I wanted to see if he was asking the same question about Brees. I"d like to say he was.

He's normally a pretty fair guy, but as with anyone, I don't agree with everything he says, but he's had more access to more players, coaches, and owners then any of us ever will.

With 5 games left they still aren't in playoff contention.
What? 4 of their last 5 games are all opponents with losing records and are a combined 13-30. The only opponent with a winning record is the division leader who they are just 1 game behind. They are very much in playoff contention.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom