Rivers vs. DRC (iwitnesskr's breakdown) (2 Viewers)

iwitnesskr

Black and Gold toThe Bone
Reaction score
As it stands today, the Saints are in Prime position to add a difference maker on defense with the #10 pick.

Based on the opinions floating around this board, USC LB Keith Rivers, and Tennessee State CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are the pick of the litter.

If the top nine plays out accordingly (assuming both Rivers and DRC are there), here's how I see it.

I am a true believer that the front "seven" drastically alters the landscape, and the overall success of the back "four."

Rivers is a superiorly athletic LB, (think, Joey Porter), who is always around the ball, can move from sideline to sideline with ease, and plays aggressively against the run.

Dreaming of a D-line consisting of McCray, Grant, Thomas, and Smith, backed by Rivers, Vilma, and Fujita, makes me want to wet my pants.

If Rivers was the selection, our front seven would be top 10 in the league.

Think back to 2000. We had Howard, Glover, Hand, and Johnson. Backed by Clemons (A sack artist), Mitchell, and I can’t remember the other LB. But I do remember the fact that Fred Weary, and Kevin Smith were our starting corners, yet we led the NFL in sacks and had a top rated defense. All based on the pressure of the front seven.

Now to DRC. Let me premise it by saying this, Deion was drafted in 1989. Champ Bailey was drafted in 1998. It is now 2008, and along comes DRC. My point is this; these guys come around every 10 years.

DRC is 6-2, 185 lbs., running a 4.31 and possessing ball skills like no other prospect in this draft.

A shut down corner truly takes away your opponents best WR, because at all points, he will be challenged, by an elite CB. Steve Smith would be in trouble. Roddy White, please!!!! You get the picture. Galloway, covered!!!

A shut down corner takes your opponents’ favorite weapon, and turns it into a liability.
Imagine how many times you’ve seen Champ Bailey pick off Carson Palmer, for trying to go to Ocho Cinco. Chad has won his battles, and scored his TD’s on occasion, but you better believe Palmer looks elsewhere first, when playing the Broncos.

The days of cringing when the ball is thrown deep would be over. You can’t outrun 4.3 speed. Especially when the person running the 4.3 is 6'2, with long arms and can jump out of the building. The days of “Oh, He should’ve caught that” would be at rest.
We could actually rejoice in the fact that any deep ball thrown, has a very high chance of being an INT, just handing the ball over to our potent offense.

In conclusion, I would be trilled about either pick. In my honest opinion, I think both players have special talents, and would be instant starters on our new look defense.
But the problem is, special CBs come around once, maybe twice a decade. And being that the Saints haven’t had one, in all of my 26 years of living, my vote would have to go to DRC.

#10 is just too high for an OLB. Rivers is also not a can't miss crazy good LB prospect thats worth the risk. Take the best CB at 10.

#10 is just too high for an OLB. Rivers is also not a can't miss crazy good LB prospect thats worth the risk. Take the best CB at 10.

Rivers is rated high my many here because his position ranks high as a need for this team. I think people are over-inflating how good he really could be. Yes, he's the best LB in the draft, but he's not one of the 15 best players in the draft. We should take the best CB or one of the two best DTs (if they fell or we move up)

I get that same feeling about DRC. There was no combine to watch when Champ and Primtime came out, but in all the years of watching combines now i've never seen a corner as smooth as DRC. Like you said on top of all that ability he's still tall, I'd like to see him add about 10lbs...but other than that the kid looks the part.

CB is a more important position than linebacker is. Coupled with the rare athleticism DRC possesses, and the fact that even if he is raw, we have time to groom him with the depth we have at CB (especially if McKenzie's recovery goes well), I think it's a no brainer to go with DRC if it comes down to him or Rivers. Plus on top of all that, i've read (and been told by people who know football) that Keith Rivers is extremely overated. I won't sit here and pretend I've broken down film on him, but a USC fan who knows his football tells me this guy sucks, it raises a red flag.

DRC all the way!

CB Cromartie - DT Laws - S Zbikowski - TE K. Davis - WR Arthur - DT Shirley

I would take DRC. I've never been sold on Rivers, as much like Porter, he's a product of the system and players around him.

Cornerback is more important than linebacker?.....you sure about that? I dont think coaches and analyst grade players as highly as Rivers is graded if they suck (as your USC fan stated) I think we all need to stop believing our own hype and trust the coaches and analyst....when there pumping up a player we like, we love them, and when there not, they dont know what there talking about...DRC and Rivers can help this team, I dont think you can go wrong with either...I think when you build a team you dont build your team according to Draft Grades, or Value, you build your team by getting the type of players that fit what you do...now Keith Rivers would be a great addition next to Vilma and Fujita, you can say he isnt a top 10 pick if you want, but It really doesnt matter, its about the fit, people would rather take Clady at OT at 10 because of value....value doesnt win you games, it makes your draft look good, but it doesnt really help your team if you get a guy who is probably gonna sit because the o-line is already intact...getting a guy like Rivers or DRC puts speed and playmaking ability on the field...you cant measure that value on a draft chart....get the guy you want, forget that value talk, winning teams pick players they like, not players who make the most sense at the spot there drafting at, you dance around your needs, and you miss out on alot of players...think about all the players the Saints have passed up picking value over the years, players we could of had, that we always bring up when we see them do well (because we were in a position to grab them) but since we picked for Value, we missed out on a "impact" player (s).

I think you should draft the guy you want, that doesnt mean taking a guy with a 7th round grade in the 3rd....but if he is a first round talent and you like him you should take him....realistically ofcourse, you wouldnt take Keith Rivers with the #1 pick in the draft...but if he is a top 20 pick and we take him at 10, I dont see the big deal, thats the spot we had to pick from and he is the guy we wanted, why let another team get him simply because we didnt want to pay him top 10 money...so we let another team benefit, and we get a "value" pick.

this isnt about DRC or Keith Rivers (entirely) its about getting the guy WE want. (if we cant trade back, or up...just take him)

I would take DRC. I've never been sold on Rivers, as much like Porter, he's a product of the system and players around him.

I agree that Porter is, and was part of a good system. But every team has a system, and the system can't function without talented players.

IMHO, Rivers may not be a Top 10 pick, but if hes' your guy, he's your guy, you dont trade down, then watch him (Rivers) or Cromartie, come off the board at the 13th pick, simply b/c he wasn't "worth" a "top 10" pick.

Last edited:
CB Cromartie - DT Laws - S Zbikowski - TE K. Davis - WR Arthur - DT Shirley

great top 3

Plus if Laws climbs into the late first as some are suggesting he might, Sims would probably slide, who I'd be happy with in the 2nd too.

'tis the silly season eh?

Bonchie, #10 is not too early to pick an outside linebacker, it always depends on the quality of the player. On another thread I read you asking when was the last time an OLB went in the top ten and it was AJ Hawk at #5 to the packers.

What I can agree, is that it is easier to get a quality linebacker in rounds 2 and 3. The difference between linebackers is not as big as say, defensive tackle or cornerback.

Bonchie, #10 is not too early to pick an outside linebacker, it always depends on the quality of the player. On another thread I read you asking when was the last time an OLB went in the top ten and it was AJ Hawk at #5 to the packers.

What I can agree, is that it is easier to get a quality linebacker in rounds 2 and 3. The difference between linebackers is not as big as say, defensive tackle or cornerback.

I'm sorry man, I've been thinking Hawk was a MLB all this time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom