Rivers vs. DRC (iwitnesskr's breakdown) (1 Viewer)

If the to DT's are there, they should be the pick. I would lean to draft either DRC or Leodis McKelvin at 10. Remember though that both have the measureables but will still need some sort of adjustment to the NFL game. DRC played 1AA. Thats a big jump. I still think they can make some sort of contribution during their rookie seasons. McKelvin can even help out the return game.

The reason that you pass on Rivers is because the LB position is deep this year and there will be someone there in the 2nd round.

Well stated Meily.
Simply put, you trust your scouts and coaches.
The one thing that is dangerous to do is reach for a player based on position. That's what happened with Sullivan. Sometimes it will work, depending on the player. Just so happened that the 2 top rated DT's that year, both were overrated(Robertson and Sullivan).

At this point, who knows what's best to do. You simply won't know until the #10 pick comes up and who will still be available. A guy like Dorsey or Ellis may be there. But, even if they are there, the coaches may have DRC or Rivers rated higher. All 3 are positions of need. Again, you simply don't know.

Assuming that DRC and Rivers are the 2 top rated players on the board, I don't think we could go wrong with either. A LB corp of Fujita, Vilma, and Rivers would be a really nice group. By the same token, if DRC is the next great cover corner it would be a sweet luxury to have that on the Saints(for the first time ever).

Cornerback is more important than linebacker?.....you sure about that? I dont think coaches and analyst grade players as highly as Rivers is graded if they suck (as your USC fan stated) I think we all need to stop believing our own hype and trust the coaches and analyst....when there pumping up a player we like, we love them, and when there not, they dont know what there talking about...DRC and Rivers can help this team, I dont think you can go wrong with either...I think when you build a team you dont build your team according to Draft Grades, or Value, you build your team by getting the type of players that fit what you do...now Keith Rivers would be a great addition next to Vilma and Fujita, you can say he isnt a top 10 pick if you want, but It really doesnt matter, its about the fit, people would rather take Clady at OT at 10 because of value....value doesnt win you games, it makes your draft look good, but it doesnt really help your team if you get a guy who is probably gonna sit because the o-line is already intact...getting a guy like Rivers or DRC puts speed and playmaking ability on the field...you cant measure that value on a draft chart....get the guy you want, forget that value talk, winning teams pick players they like, not players who make the most sense at the spot there drafting at, you dance around your needs, and you miss out on alot of players...think about all the players the Saints have passed up picking value over the years, players we could of had, that we always bring up when we see them do well (because we were in a position to grab them) but since we picked for Value, we missed out on a "impact" player (s).

I think you should draft the guy you want, that doesnt mean taking a guy with a 7th round grade in the 3rd....but if he is a first round talent and you like him you should take him....realistically ofcourse, you wouldnt take Keith Rivers with the #1 pick in the draft...but if he is a top 20 pick and we take him at 10, I dont see the big deal, thats the spot we had to pick from and he is the guy we wanted, why let another team get him simply because we didnt want to pay him top 10 money...so we let another team benefit, and we get a "value" pick.

this isnt about DRC or Keith Rivers (entirely) its about getting the guy WE want. (if we cant trade back, or up...just take him)

We are the same page, of the same book, on the same line, reading the same word!!!

Head to head analysis is a push to me.

Analysis based on team needs is a little different. At this time, I have greater concerns about the LB corps than about the CBs. Neither are great but IF McKenzie comes back from injury, the combination of him and Gay is more than adequate. I agree that fixing the front seven will make their jobs much easier and could even make David look like a much better CB.

Based on the draft and what you expect to get for the money, though, that's different. The first round is a different position in the draft than all others. Round one is where you hope to get the home run hitter if you can. Teams will often take bigger risks in the high first round in the hopes of getting that difference maker. DRC is a huge risk, much more so than Rivers, but the payoff could be huge. That's why you go with a DRC at that point.

Finally, analyze the Saints draft history. They've often taken the risk on the home run hitter and, sadly, theyve all to often been burned on that risk. Once burned, twice shy? How about many times burned makes one into the wallflower at the dance. But the wallflower doesn't get the girls. Loomis has also been quoted as saying a first round draft choice needs to be an instant starter. I agree with this but only to a point. I don't think rookie CBs should start immediately (in most cases). DRC will be the same. If you draft him, you do so with hopes for the future rather than the present.

So, where does all that analysis leave the Saints? Actually, it works out pretty well.

Option 1: Hope that one of the big 2 DTs fall. If so, grab them (this will probably not happen).

Option 2: Trade out of #10. If they could pull of a trade with Dallas for those 2 #1s, the odds of finding an instant contributor would be much better. In fact, the Saints would even increase their chances of finding a playmaker by doing that (their draft history suggests they do better with later choices, Meachem notwithstanding). This option is also rather unlikely, IMO.

Option 3: Draft DRC. Honestly, if both DTs go in the top ten, I think this increases the chances of DRC still being on the board when the Saints number comes up. I think there's a much higher probability of this happening than any of the others.

All other options are a bit more pedestrian (that includes Rivers). If Both DTs and DRC are off the board by this point, then it's actually a bit more of a crap shoot. I could actually see the Saints drafting someone like Mendenhall or Clady at this point, even though those positions are shored up (on paper). But my hope, should that happen, is that they'd have a choice between Talib and Rivers.

My two predictions: Dorsey or Ellis will be available at #10. Keith Rivers could fall to the late first/early second. In the case of the latter, this has more to do with 4-3 teams already filling needs at WLB than it does with his actual talent. Denver could take him but, if not, he could fall to the end of round 1 where teams like Jacksonville and San Diego (despite running a 3-4) could take a chance on him. If not, and he's there in round 2, you have to make a move for him.

If Cromartie is Deion Sanders-good (he'd be the first since, well, Deion Sanders), I can't see him hanging around at 10.

That said, even if he's not at "Primetime" level, we'd do well to get him on board.

If DRC is there take the dude... We can get a OLB in the 3rd or 4th who can come in and START... Yea you can get a good CB in the 2nd 3rd or even 4th but NOT a DRC type player the guy is special and if i had to say the Patroits take DRC at 7 they lost both there CB in free agents... If not a HOPE he falls to us but not looking that way in my eyes...

Rivers is a GREAT OLB but when you can get a GOOD OLB who may could come in and start in the 3rd or 4th round with people like M.Howard, S.Crable, W.Woodyard, A.Highsmith and T.Gooden pass on the best OLB and get the best CB...

DRC will be the best rookie CB out of this years draft and i vote for him defense rookie of the year right now... if we dont draft this guy i hope we dont play against him we can cover any WR we have a almost shut him down all day on sundays...

I think both guys would be great and hope they get one of the two. with that I think there is a little more risk reward with drc.

#10 is just too high for an OLB. Rivers is also not a can't miss crazy good LB prospect thats worth the risk. Take the best CB at 10.

We could possibly get DRC and Lofton, and a decent DL.

EDIT: Just think about what a lift Lofton, Vilma and DRC would give to our defense!

Last edited:
The linebacker draft is deep and Rivers my fall un til 13-20 pick... DRC is a once every ten year CB. So, I'll take DRC and in the 2nd Laws or a LB

I just dont see DRC getting past NE

I don't see Ghoulston getting passed by NE mostly all NE DBs are found in the later rounds because they believe in they defensive scheme and it's easier and cheaper to find a DB that fit it... They might even trade out that 7th spot after spending money on Moss

If you don't like keith rivers that's fine but to say you cant take an olb at 10 isnt true. Lawrence Taylor would be worthy of a 10th pick. I'm not comparing KR to LT but the point is if the front office likes him and thinks he can start then I like the pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom