Ro Brown on Basketball in New Orleans (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
<object width="440" height="361"><param name="movie" value="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3248491"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><embed src="http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/player.swf?mediaId=3248491" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="440" height="361" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

Soooooo, is he saying that the people of New Orleans don't want a professional basketball team there?

I don't think he is saying that. What he is saying is that there is a difference between the Saints and Hornets...as far as how they are looked at. The passion that Saints fans have for the team I believe is a combination of the love for football and the time the team has been in the city. I think, that if given the opportunity the Hornets can work here, but they have to give it the opportunity. That being said I don't think that Hornets fans will evern come close to the same passion that Saints fans have(and some of them or one in the same).

Basketball needs to be developed more in New Orleans. I always assumed that basketball was big in a town with such a large poor, black population like it is most places. It's a sport that doesn't require large numbers of people to play, requires very little equipment to play and (like golf) you don't really have to be good at it to enjoy it.

Perhaps the Hornets can become more involved in youth basketball programs?

I still cringe everytime I see or hear Hornets and see teal. To me it just doesn't fit. Maybe because it's still new, but to me those colors and that mascot just doesn't feel very New Orleans. In New Orleans, I have learned that people really place an importance on things that "belong" there. I know that they have worked purple and gold into the color scheme, but perhaps it's time to re-brand to showo a real commitment?

Basketball needs to be developed more in New Orleans. I always assumed that basketball was big in a town with such a large poor, black population like it is most places. It's a sport that doesn't require large numbers of people to play, requires very little equipment to play and (like golf) you don't really have to be good at it to enjoy it.

Perhaps the Hornets can become more involved in youth basketball programs?

I still cringe everytime I see or hear Hornets and see teal. To me it just doesn't fit. Maybe because it's still new, but to me those colors and that mascot just doesn't feel very New Orleans. In New Orleans, I have learned that people really place an importance on things that "belong" there. I know that they have worked purple and gold into the color scheme, but perhaps it's time to re-brand to showo a real commitment?
5776.gif

I wish we could somehow buy back the Jazz from Utah (not the team, just the name). The New Orleans Jazz "fits."

I would love to see them re-named as the New Orleans VooDoo, but I'm not sure how that would work out with the Arena Team.

I thought there's been rumors of a color change and maybe even a name change for some time now. the rumor was that it took a few years for the change to be made but that started a long time ago....

I'm sure it costs a nice sum of money as well which I would dbe hesitant to spend unless I knew I was going to get a healthy return on it. I realize that Shinn isn't going to do it to keep the team in New Orleans or to make people like me happy. It has to make sense fiscally and I'm not real sure that it does/ A name/color change doesn't guarantee revenue or increased attendance, but I bet it might help.

Who is Ro Brown?

Is he the "former" sports reporter that did a story on one of Tulane's running backs (I forget his name) and led one to believe that he had unlimited potential, and would be a future
NFL star?

The player did not even get an invitation to a camp. I don't know if he even played Canadian or European football.

Ro Brown has no credibility with me. He does have a right to his opinion.

I think part of the problem with the Hornets is that they have an owner and coach that said way too many negative things about the city while they were in Oklahoma, and now find themselves in a position where they have to restore the good will that their mouths destroyed. I hope they can do it.

Benson did the same thing, but he has the Saints. The Hornets will never have the following the Saints have. We probably were a little more likely to forgive Benson easier than Shin.

Joe

Nice interview -- not really supporting the Hornets -- but the thing about explaining to people about the New Orleans residents -- and explaining why we continually are willing to rebuild

Basketball needs to be developed more in New Orleans. I always assumed that basketball was big in a town with such a large poor, black population like it is most places.

I suspect the good folks of rural Indiana are in for a real shock sometime pretty soon. I hope they don't ask me to be the one to tell them....

But they actually all live in Gary.

LOL. Of course I left the word "only" out for that exact reason...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom