Road Trips to Disney - Do you stop on the way? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Our trip is booked for 2022. We are road tripping from Louisiana. Plan on going a day early and stopping overnight! Give me ya suggestions where to stop. Want it to be 50-75% there.

Our trip is booked for 2022. We are road tripping from Louisiana. Plan on going a day early and stopping overnight! Give me ya suggestions where to stop. Want it to be 50-75% there.

Haven’t been to WDW in a long time.. but honestly, there isnt much worthwhile to stop and see along the way from La…. only exception would be the beaches on the panhandle, but those wouldnt fit ur criteria of being 50-75% of the way there… unless maybe you could plan to hit some of the beaches much furhter east, like maybe Panama City(?). Not sure but that might not be exactly ‘on the way’ to WDW.

Haven’t been to WDW in a long time.. but honestly, there isnt much worthwhile to stop and see along the way from La…. only exception would be the beaches on the panhandle, but those wouldnt fit ur criteria of being 50-75% of the way there… unless maybe you could plan to hit some of the beaches much furhter east, like maybe Panama City(?). Not sure but that might not be exactly ‘on the way’ to WDW.

Not really to tour anything, but to not be tired from the drive. I am 36. I am getting old.

Drive the 10.5 hours over nite. let the missus and kids sleep - Once there, the adrenaline will kick in and you will be fine.

at36 and 38 i did that trip EXACTLY that way. No issues.

As for stop overs, Lake City/Gainsville would be best bet to find something.

Not really to tour anything, but to not be tired from the drive. I am 36. I am getting old.

Oh sorry, I misunderstood.. in that case, Tallahassee is a good place to stop for the night.. it’s probably about 60 or 70% of the way to WDW (depending what part of La you’re in) and there are lots of economical hotel options.. ive driven plenty of times from NOLA to Siesta Key in SW Fla, and Tallahassee is where i stop for the night.. i hear you about being old, back in the days i used to drive straight through !

Drive the 10.5 hours over nite. let the missus and kids sleep - Once there, the adrenaline will kick in and you will be fine.

at36 and 38 i did that trip EXACTLY that way. No issues.

As for stop overs, Lake City/Gainsville would be best bet to find something.

Take this advice with a huge canister of Morton salt, since efil is a guy who claims to have never spent a Saturday just relaxing…. I think he may have a stronger constitution than the rest of us.

2 cars
2 adults, 2 children
4 adults, 2 children
I imagine everyone would be antsy as heck to get there
Instead of an overnight break, maybe just longer pit stops
(Are the adults switching up driving responsibilities?)

regardless, it’s going to be the same amount of time in the car
I tend to want to push through

You can get there in less than 10 hours, and honestly, it always feels like a pretty easy drive to me. I just hit it all in one day. Stopping just wastes a day. That being said Tallahasse is the logical choice if you were gonna stop. You could go to Gainsville, but once you make the turn south, the rest feels like a breeze so to me there's no point.

You can get there in less than 10 hours, and honestly, it always feels like a pretty easy drive to me. I just hit it all in one day. Stopping just wastes a day. That being said Tallahasse is the logical choice if you were gonna stop. You could go to Gainsville, but once you make the turn south, the rest feels like a breeze so to me there's no point.
Also recommend leaving before sunrise
That always helps the drive feel shorter to me for whatever reason

You can get there in less than 10 hours, and honestly, it always feels like a pretty easy drive to me. I just hit it all in one day. Stopping just wastes a day. That being said Tallahasse is the logical choice if you were gonna stop, but again, once you make the turn south, the rest feels like a breeze.

Re the 10 hrs, gps says 9.5 from NOLA to WDW, but that’s assuming zero stops for anything, and assuming everything goes smoothly with traffic.. incidentally on my last trip a small plane had to make an emergency landing on I75 causing me to sit in traffic for over 2 hrs, but that is of course extremely unusual , ha…. plus the OP didnt say where in La he is, obviously if in BR of Lafayette it’ll take him longer.

Also recommend leaving before sunrise
That always helps the drive feel shorter to me for whatever reason
Completely agree. If you start driving at night, say 2 or 3am, once the sun hits, you get a second wind. Then you'll get there around 1 or 2pm (time change factored in) and you still have time to check in and hit the pool at the hotel before going to the parks the next day. You can even grab dinner in Disney Springs to start the emmersion.

Re the 10 hrs, gps says 9.5 from NOLA to WDW, but that’s assuming zero stops for anything, and assuming everything goes smoothly with traffic.. incidentally on my last trip a small plane had to make an emergency landing on I75 causing me to sit in traffic for over 2 hrs, but that is of course extremely unusual , ha…. plus the OP didnt say where in La he is, obviously if in BR of Lafayette it’ll take him longer.
True I was factoring in from New Orleans. I generally average getting there between 9.5 to 10 hours. We go pretty much once a year, but sometimes we fly depending on the amount of time we have.

True I was factoring in from New Orleans. I generally average getting there between 9.5 to 10 hours. We go pretty much once a year, but sometimes we fly depending on the amount of time we have.
That being said also, I-10 to Florida was ridiculous this weekend. I drove to Destin on Saturday and it took me over 7 hours. Usually it's a little less than 5. Came back Tuesday evening and it was normal time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom