Road Trips to Disney - Do you stop on the way? (1 Viewer)

I used to drive straight through from Houston. I'd pick the kids up on the last day of school and make the drive all the way to Disney arriving sometime between 3 - 5 AM.

Now I'm Danny Glover (too old for that sheet) but it was fun back when I had the energy. Like someone else said the adrenaline would kick in that first day and I'd be fine plus I slept like a baby after our first day in the parks.

I used to drive straight through from Houston. I'd pick the kids up on the last day of school and make the drive all the way to Disney arriving sometime between 3 - 5 AM.

I admire the stamina.. but more importantly , i admire the genius it takes to pick ur kids up from school and drive STRAIGHT to Disney World, without even stopping off at home first…. That way i think you beat most of the summer crowds, and it’s also just a helluva way to kick off the summer…. I love life hacks like that, bravo

Yeah, there's nothing in between there. Just go straight through and share the driving.

I imagine everyone would be antsy as heck to get there
Instead of an overnight break, maybe just longer pit stops
(Are the adults switching up driving responsibilities?)

regardless, it’s going to be the same amount of time in the car
I tend to want to push through
I missed the part about TWO cars. And the way it's put here, that overnight "pit stop" and having to re-corral all these people and kids the next morning? Sounds like major time bleeder. To be sure, nothing about this trip screams "good time" to me. Then again, if everyone -- who can't nap in car -- doesn't start out with a full night's sleep, that's no fun either.

As mentioned, Tallahassee. I try to drive straight through to Tampa which is probably about the same trip and when I can't make it the whole way, Tallahassee is where I usually end up just to get off the road and find something to eat. But it's a decision you have to make. There's no ideal answer.

Last edited:
Last time we went, we left at 4 AM. I hit a brick wall about 8 hours in. Drank a Redline and pushed through LOL. It was rough.
That's about my brick wall, too. Who's the driver of the 2nd car? Are you the sole decision maker in this caravan? Just wondering.

FYI...here’s my I-10 restaurant guide. My favorite restaurant between Mississippi and Lake City, that are 10 or less minutes off the interstate and aren’t fast food.

Pensacola- George’s (for lunch), Craft Gourmet Bakery (for dessert...their mousse bomb is life changing)

Crestview- Wild Olive (very good food...some health options)

Marianna- Sweet Beans Coffee House (great coffee place with some food options)

Tallahassee- 1 Fresh Stir Fry (quick...lots of healthy options)

Lake City- Pizza Boy (not healthy but great local pizza place)

FYI...here’s my I-10 restaurant guide. My favorite restaurant between Mississippi and Lake City, that are 10 or less minutes off the interstate and aren’t fast food.

Pensacola- George’s (for lunch), Craft Gourmet Bakery (for dessert...their mousse bomb is life changing)

That’s good work right there

Best slice of pizza i ever had in my life was at a place called Rocky Rococo in Gainesville, on a trip from NOLA to Sarasota in the 1980s.. i think it was a chain on the east coast.. then again, i never liked pizza until i was in high school, so this was one of the first slices i ever had, and it made me a convert.

My travel agent screwed up my quote.... some $1200 or so difference. I'm going to just drive through.

did you mean ‘ex’ travel agent?

Tempting. I really don't see the point of one right now. There are no perks anywhere. I basically told her everything I wanted and she gave me the same price as if I did it on the website.

when we went, me and my girlfriend (now fiancee) went to sleep about 8/830 on friday night. woke up at 1145, loaded my kids up and took off about midnight. kids slept til about 6/7am so we were already into florida. stopped a couple times but made it to disney springs about 130/2 i think.

of course Adderall and not drinking much water helped, and the excitement of taking my kids to disney world for their first time.

If you’re an SEC sports fans (like I am) …..Gainesville is right on I-75 (it’s about 2.5 hours north of WDW).

But, a cool college town, lots of good restaurants, hotels…..and a beautiful UF campus.

The Swamp is impressive to pop in, and it’s always open to the public (students studying on bleachers, people waking steps, etc.).

If I’m ever in the town of a great college stadium, I always try to go and see it……and UF is one of the best as it’s obviously huge but also wide open for the public.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom