Rob Ryan = 3-4 Version of GGG (closed) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I truly, sincerely hope that the Saints DO NOT hire Rob Ryan. Remember how stubborn Gregg Williams was? Or how there were rumblings that he had gone rogue? Or the comparisons to Mike Martz for trying to force a square peg into a round hole and while employing long developing complex schemes that were ineffective?

How many times have we seen GW send an all out blitz that never gets home while leaving the secondary exposed? How did the 50 million personnel packages work? If you can't maximize the talent you do have and master one defense, why try to master a numerous ones?

Simply put, the Saints don't have a finely tuned defense. They lack the talent on the back end to play coverage. They lack talent on the front end to get much needed pressure. They lack development on the defensive side of the ball.

Rob Ryan is just the 3-4's version of Gregg Williams. Care to guess how often he's been fired? What is he known for? I'll tell you-- he's known for sending numerous blitzes despite not having a secondary that can hold the fort till the pressure gets there. He's known for doing it his way and not adjusting his scheme or play-calling to the talent he's working with.

What the &$%!

We don't need his kind. I truly hope, despite what is being reported, that the Saints are only interviewing Rob Ryan to pick his brain on what he believes needs to be done to fix their defense. I truly hope the cast a wide net and get the same kind of assessment for 10 or 15 different candidates. It isn't like he's going anywhere. There's no hurry.

We damn sure don't need to see 6 and 7 people coming on the blitz and looking as if they are running into a brick wall while Blaine Gabbert or some other podunk QB looks like Peyton Manning picking our defense apart. Rob Ryan didn't have the answer for Drew Brees, and he didn't have the answer for Robert Griffin, nor did he have the answer for Eli Manning. He's always been a loud mouth outcast and never has he had a reputation for "playing well with others". Hiring him would be a step back.

The defense can't get any worse, but Rob Ryan would damn sure keep it from being built and utilized the right way.

Rob Ryan barely blitzed at all last season after blitzing an absurd amount the year before. If anything he is more of a mellow 3G which is what our players fell in love with. Also I think it's pretty clear Gregg maximized our talent during his tenure. 2009 and 2010 he did a great job with them and he slipped a little in 2011 but he got much more out of our players than Spags did.

His defenses arent very fundamentally sound. He gambles at the wrong time and his players seem to lack focus.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

^^This...i want someone who preaches fundamentals first. WE need guys that can tackle.

I don't Ryan for the following reasons -

If you know NFL history his father was a huge proponent of bountys. The Saints need someone with zero ties to anything remotely related to bountys.

Ryan's Defenses Overall rankings -

'12 Dallas 19th
'11 Dallas 14th
'10 Cleveland 22nd
'09 Cleveland 2nd
'08 Oakland 6th
'07 Oakland 22nd
'06 Oakland 30th
'05 Oakland 6th
'04 Oakland 3rd

The Saints desperately need someone who can quickly build a 3-4 Defense from the ground up. Someone who can coach up existing players and recognize talent. That someone's name is Todd Grantham, not Rob Ryan.

I'd take Romeo Crennel every day and twice on Sunday over Rob. Problem is, Romeo's contract is guaranteed for the next 2 years. He'll get paid the same whether he sits at home and enjoys his family/retirement or coaches. Unless the Saints agree to pay him more than he was scheduled to get paid as a head coach, he can't make any more money coaching in the NFL. If the Chiefs owe him four million per year, and the Saints decide to pay him 2 million, then the Chiefs will will pay the remainder to make what he is owed.

So Romeo doesn't have much reason to work for free at his age.

I'll gladly take Grantham if the choice is between him and Ryan.

However, as I said in the OP, I really hope the Saints interview as many candidates as possible to get as wide a range of opinions and strategies of "how I would transition and build a 3-4 defense with the current roster".

If the Saints bring in 5 or 6 guys who know the 3-4 like the back of their hand and still decide to hire Rob Ryan, I'll still have the opinion that it's a ****** hire that stinks the ***. Unless of course they hire him to coach the LB's, and not as a DC.

I'd take Romeo Crennel every day and twice on Sunday over Rob. Problem is, Romeo's contract is guaranteed for the next 2 years. He'll get paid the same whether he sits at home and enjoys his family/retirement or coaches. Unless the Saints agree to pay him more than he was scheduled to get paid as a head coach, he can't make any more money coaching in the NFL. If the Chiefs owe him four million per year, and the Saints decide to pay him 2 million, then the Chiefs will will pay the remainder to make what he is owed.

So Romeo doesn't have much reason to work for free at his age.

I'll gladly take Grantham if the choice is between him and Ryan.

However, as I said in the OP, I really hope the Saints interview as many candidates as possible to get as wide a range of opinions and strategies of "how I would transition and build a 3-4 defense with the current roster".

If the Saints bring in 5 or 6 guys who know the 3-4 like the back of their hand and still decide to hire Rob Ryan, I'll still have the opinion that it's a ****** hire that stinks the ***. Unless of course they hire him to coach the LB's, and not as a DC.

Im with you. Did we fire our Dline coach because i think Ryan was a former Dline Coach..if not then yeah have him develop the LB's. If Grantham comes aboard then his DB coach from Georgia will probably take the ride with him.

Do you guys seriously think you are better equipped to make this decision than Sean Payton is? You know, given that he is in the industry and whatnot, that he's actually talking to these people in person and may actually even know them and their personalities in real life and not just what he sees on TV?

I understand fan speculation. But let's not get arrogant, shall we? Rooting for a guy is one thing, but not knowing where to draw the line is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not picking on you PJ; it's happening all over the place. I have to talk myself out of doing it because I find myself rooting for Grantham. I have to keep reminding myself that I know jack **** about Grantham other than what I read. And those Ryan dudes disgust me on principle.

But ultimately what the hell do I know?

Do you guys seriously think you are better equipped to make this decision than Sean Payton is? You know, given that he is in the industry and whatnot, that he's actually talking to these people in person and may actually even know them and their personalities in real life and not just what he sees on TV?

I understand fan speculation. But let's not get arrogant, shall we? Rooting for a guy is one thing, but not knowing where to draw the line is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not picking on you PJ; it's happening all over the place. I have to talk myself out of doing it because I find myself rooting for Grantham. I have to keep reminding myself that I know jack **** about Grantham other than what I read. And those Ryan dudes disgust me on principle.

But ultimately what the hell do I know?

No offense taken. I'm still angry at Roger Goodell for not reinstating Sean earlier, before all the damn coaching vacancies started filling up. My first choice would have been Ray Horton from Arizona-- you know, someone who lost a ton of top tier defensive players, had zero offensive support, and still managed to develop one hell of a defense through the draft and UDFA's.

That ship has sailed, but I've heard for YEARS much disgust for Rob Ryan and his coaching style and philosophy on Sirius radio, and I'm not talking about fan ranting, but former GM ranting. Simply put, Ryan is too much like Gregg Williams for my taste.

I'd rather someone who can build and develop a defense than someone who will blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz, blitz, and talk loud while signing free agent after free agent and failing to develop draft choice after draft choice.

Again, this D needs to have its floorboards ripped out for the most part. Keep a couple of young players but start over for the most part. San Fran didn't turn it around until they did just that.

It's not going to matter who our D-coordinator is until they get rid of the players who are too long in the tooth.

Rob Ryan has never coached a playoff caliber defense. Everywhere he's been, his first season has been the best. It gets mediocre from there.

Of course when Drew Brees is the QB, mediocre defense gets you to the NFC CG...

Im with you. Did we fire our Dline coach because i think Ryan was a former Dline Coach..if not then yeah have him develop the LB's. If Grantham comes aboard then his DB coach from Georgia will probably take the ride with him.

Ryan has coached DBs and LBs. He played DE in college.

Rob Ryan is just the 3-4's version of Gregg Williams.

espn_g_williams_600.jpg

a3339CRBColtssetfast2-7-201011-33-29PM_display_image.jpg

000-interception-oprf-9250-mid.jpg

payton-topper.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom