Rob Ryan and other DC news... (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sean Payton has yet to make his decision on our next DC... until I hear it from him I'm not buying any of the early reports.

However... I want to kill a few rumors that have been flying around here in support for the "No To Rob Ryan" movement...

The Rams did not turn do Rob Ryan... Rob Ryan turned the Rams down:

The bottom line, according to a source, is that Ryan declined the defensive coordinator position due to hesitations from coaching a 4-3 system and not being able to pick his assistants.

"He wanted it to work, and I just think he realized over the weekend that it was not (a fit)," a source told Thomas. "Rob was torn."

Ryan and his wife were in St. Louis over the weekend and he even attended a Blues game. The team was prepared to make an announcement Friday, then early this week, then everything changed. Ryan reportedly worried if he could get another coordinator job if things didn't work out in St. Louis. And if he's going down, he's going down with his own system (3-4) and assistants. That wasn't possible in St. Louis.

(Link)

Yes Ryan is a nutcase but his players play hard for him, and he stands up for his players (link). Jerry Jones used Ryan as the scapegoat in Dallas and everybody knows it. Ryan's defense still performed even with all the injuries.

We have LIMITED options on who will be our next DC. Many (myself included) feel that Crennel should be our DC... but many don't know that Crennel is still getting paid from KC (for a couple years I think) so there's no real need for him to work. Any job he takes will lessen the amount of money he gets from KC, so in essence... he'd be taking a pay cut if he coaches anywhere this year. So as much as we want Romeo to be our DC it makes too much sense for him NOT to work.

We also have a contingent for Graham from GA. Graham may have the creds and he just might be what we need. I don't know much about him other than reading some info online on where he's been and who he coached with, and he does seem to be more than qualified to run a solid defense.

As for NFL assistants... the rule states (paraphrasing) any assistant coach that wants to become a coordinator of another team, this will be considered a "lateral move", and teams don't necessarily have to grant permission to interview.

Loosely translated... if Tomsula or Donatell wanted to interview for our DC position, Harbaugh could refuse to let them interview because the move from "position coach" to "coordinator" is considered a lateral move in the NFL.

This makes no sense to me because I'd think "coordinator" would be a step up from "position coach", but that's not how the NFL sees it.

So we go back to Ryan. He's really the only candidate that has skins on the wall, and someone that our players would respond to. I'd be surprised if Ryan doesn't become our next DC.

or we could get some young and eager from college or from the 49ers/Ravens instead of one of these guys who have spent the last 5 years failing b/c they can't adopt to the newer nfl offenses

It can't be coincidental that he "changed his mind," something that never happens, around the same time Spagnuolo got fired and Payton said he wanted to switch to a 3-4.

It can't be coincidental that he "changed his mind," something that never happens, around the same time Spagnuolo got fired and Payton said he wanted to switch to a 3-4.

Time line doesn't fit though, so I'm more inclined to think it was that he didn't feel comfortable about the 4-3 in St. Louis like Droopy pointed out.

Jan. 24th - SP fires Spags, announces switch to 3-4
Jan. 26th - Rob Ryan "hired" by STL.
Jan. 29th - St. Louis announces Ryan will not be DC.

Based on that, he knew when he met with St. Louis that the Saints spot was open unless he interviewed with Fisher on the 23rd.

Time line doesn't fit though, so I'm more inclined to think it was that he didn't feel comfortable about the 4-3 in St. Louis like Droopy pointed out.

Jan. 24th - SP fires Spags, announces switch to 3-4
Jan. 26th - Rob Ryan "hired" by STL.
Jan. 29th - St. Louis announces Ryan will not be DC.

Based on that, he knew when he met with St. Louis that the Saints spot was open unless he interviewed with Fisher on the 23rd.

True, but that's just the timeline that we, the public have to go by. It could very well have played out much differently.

Sure the "agreement" with Rob to STL was announced on 01/26, but what if this agreement happened sooner? What if, at the time he reached an "agreement" with STL, he had not known of Payton's interest in him?

I'm ok with Ryan, the problem with dallas was play calling like the saints, Romo threw the second most in the league, no run game, close to as much as us. You know how that turned out for us. Also he had huge injuries Sean Lee the tackling machine that led the league went down and 6 other starters.

True, but that's just the timeline that we, the public have to go by. It could very well have played out much differently.

Sure the "agreement" with Rob to STL was announced on 01/26, but what if this agreement happened sooner? What if, at the time he reached an "agreement" with STL, he had not known of Payton's interest in him?

I agree which was why right before I submitted my post, I added the line about the interview taking place prior to 1-23 with Fisher.

It's all speculation on our part and makes the day go by for us debating and deciphering the facts from the fiction or at least trying to.

By the way, loved your post in the other thread. You have moved me somewhat off of my stance towards him.

I wouldn't be mad if we got Ryan. The guy would bring alot of passion and fire with him. Just think how agressive our Defense was the first year under GW this hire would be simular IMO.

Well, the situation is similar here then in St.Louis for Ryan, he will NOT be able to choose his assistants here.

Ryan is a good coordinator, but I don't see him as a good fit here. I think there are several candidates that can do better.

Frankly, I see him in Sean's eyes like a Plan B candidate. Of the 2 names we know now, I prefer Grantham, but I will hope we can get permission to talk to Tomsula and/or Monachino.

These "interviews" aren't just looking for fresh faces. It is not bring a guy in for a look see. The NFL is and always has been a fraternity. Nothing in an interview will be revealed that the interviewer doesn't already know. Many sources have been talked to and resolutions reached/not reached. The interview is only a money finality for the agents. That being said, sure the 3-4 is Rob's forte. The kicker is he will want his assistants. If Sean is agreeable to that then the deal is done. Now, was anyone following Sean around at the Senior Bowl? The technical media at hand precludes all the meetings/interviews anyway. The social media on the other hand.....meh.

These "interviews" aren't just looking for fresh faces. It is not bring a guy in for a look see. The NFL is and always has been a fraternity. Nothing in an interview will be revealed that the interviewer doesn't already know. Many sources have been talked to and resolutions reached/not reached. The interview is only a money finality for the agents. That being said, sure the 3-4 is Rob's forte. The kicker is he will want his assistants. If Sean is agreeable to that then the deal is done. Now, was anyone following Sean around at the Senior Bowl? The technical media at hand precludes all the meetings/interviews anyway. The social media on the other hand.....meh.

Exactly...I get the feeling that many people picture these coaching interviews to be of the "tell me about yourself/what interests you about this opening?" variety.

These interviews are basically a day full of watching film, going over the roster, and having chalk talk as if you already have the job. I remember reading an article not too long ago that talked about this; many times, these "interviews" are more or less brain-picking sessions. The more people you interview, the more you'll learn.

I'm sure Payton was sincere in his concern about stopping the zone read. What better way to learn more about that than to bring in a college D.C. for an "interview?"

The problem I have with Ryan is that his d gave up leads in the 2nd half, allowed big plays in crucial situations, and his blitz heavy defense did not result in any pressure.

The positives are that the players like playing for him and he appears to have some of that Gregg Williams brovada that players like.

Another negative though is Ryan likes getting himself in the spot light. He talks trash and rarely backs it up. I just don;t see Payton and him working well in that regard.

Nothing is set in stone just yet....there is still a chance to have a crack at Tomsula.....so I'm still hopeful.

But Ryan would be just as good, IMHO....

Sean Payton has yet to make his decision on our next DC... until I hear it from him I'm not buying any of the early reports.

However... I want to kill a few rumors that have been flying around here in support for the "No To Rob Ryan" movement...

The Rams did not turn do Rob Ryan... Rob Ryan turned the Rams down:

Yes Ryan is a nutcase but his players play hard for him, and he stands up for his players (link). Jerry Jones used Ryan as the scapegoat in Dallas and everybody knows it. Ryan's defense still performed even with all the injuries.

We have LIMITED options on who will be our next DC. Many (myself included) feel that Crennel should be our DC... but many don't know that Crennel is still getting paid from KC (for a couple years I think) so there's no real need for him to work. Any job he takes will lessen the amount of money he gets from KC, so in essence... he'd be taking a pay cut if he coaches anywhere this year. So as much as we want Romeo to be our DC it makes too much sense for him NOT to work.

We also have a contingent for Graham from GA. Graham may have the creds and he just might be what we need. I don't know much about him other than reading some info online on where he's been and who he coached with, and he does seem to be more than qualified to run a solid defense.

As for NFL assistants... the rule states (paraphrasing) any assistant coach that wants to become a coordinator of another team, this will be considered a "lateral move", and teams don't necessarily have to grant permission to interview.

Loosely translated... if Tomsula or Donatell wanted to interview for our DC position, Harbaugh could refuse to let them interview because the move from "position coach" to "coordinator" is considered a lateral move in the NFL.

This makes no sense to me because I'd think "coordinator" would be a step up from "position coach", but that's not how the NFL sees it.

So we go back to Ryan. He's really the only candidate that has skins on the wall, and someone that our players would respond to. I'd be surprised if Ryan doesn't become our next DC.
Then how is it going to work here when he has to take the legacy coaches like Vitt in key postions, rather than bring his own guys??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom