Rob Ryan and other DC news... (2 Viewers)

Well, the situation is similar here then in St.Louis for Ryan, he will NOT be able to choose his assistants here.

Ryan is a good coordinator, but I don't see him as a good fit here. I think there are several candidates that can do better.

Frankly, I see him in Sean's eyes like a Plan B candidate. Of the 2 names we know now, I prefer Grantham, but I will hope we can get permission to talk to Tomsula and/or Monachino.
Payton needs to move to Vitt into a ceremonial or general assistant role and let the new DC clean house and rebuild it from the bottom up.

If that does not happen I am not too excited about the change.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vitt is used as the assistant head coach only for the sole purpose of making sure that the Saints don't have a repeat of the Gregg Williams situation. The title could be something along the line of NFL Policy Compliance Manager/Assistant Head Coach which would provide the organization with a trusted set of eyes and ears that would allow everybody else to do their thing without having to worry about policy compliance. The position could include keeping the training facilities under control, making sure that potential, in-game concussions are handled properly, that bounty situations don't exist, and other problems that seem to be plaguing NFL organizations along with keeping an eye on the defense so that Payton can continue doing what has made the team successful to date. The added expense of such a coach can easily be justified by taking note of the expenses that could have been avoided if such a coach had been present over the past four seasons. There is a place for Vitt and, I suspect, there will always be as long as Payton is the head coach of the Saints.

It wouldn't surprise me if Vitt is used as the assistant head coach only for the sole purpose of making sure that the Saints don't have a repeat of the Gregg Williams situation. The title could be something along the line of NFL Policy Compliance Manager/Assistant Head Coach which would provide the organization with a trusted set of eyes and ears that would allow everybody else to do their thing without having to worry about policy compliance. The position could include keeping the training facilities under control, making sure that potential, in-game concussions are handled properly, that bounty situations don't exist, and other problems that seem to be plaguing NFL organizations along with keeping an eye on the defense so that Payton can continue doing what has made the team successful to date. The added expense of such a coach can easily be justified by taking note of the expenses that could have been avoided if such a coach had been present over the past four seasons. There is a place for Vitt and, I suspect, there will always be as long as Payton is the head coach of the Saints.

Or the "Keeping Goodell off our *** coordinator".

Can someone tell me how his defenses performed against QB's running the read option?

How did they do against Washington?

You know we have our own read option threat in Cam Newton and if he couldn't contain Griffin in 2 games then id be worried about what he can do for us here.

Like ive stated our main two forms of competition are the Panthers/Falcolns. The 3-4 alone will help us deal with checkdown charlie but we need someone who is able to scheme to take away the threat of the read option/pistol.

To this point, my biggest issue is just a touchy / feeling thing with the possible Ryan hire.

After the whole Bounty Gate thing, I would prefer to cut all ties to Gregg Williams.
How close are Rob Ryan and 3G?
Am I just being paranoid?

<TABLE class=tweet><TBODY><TR class="tweet-header "><TD class=user-info>David Kippe @DavidTVF </TD><TD class=timestamp>7m </TD></TR><TR class=tweet-container><TD class=tweet-content colSpan=2>Saints want Todd Grantham as their defensive coordinator: Big news out of the Athens, GA is not who the Georgia ... bit.ly/TK08mb

Reports are circulating that defensive coordinator Todd Grantham, who transformed the Dawgs into one of the best defenses in college football over the past three seasons, could be headed to New Orleans to become the DC for the Saints.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Then how is it going to work here when he has to take the legacy coaches like Vitt in key postions, rather than bring his own guys??

We'll see I guess. We had alot of coaches that were up for new contracts and we have not heard anything whether these guys will be back or not.

Can someone tell me how his defenses performed against QB's running the read option?

How did they do against Washington?

You know we have our own read option threat in Cam Newton and if he couldn't contain Griffin in 2 games then id be worried about what he can do for us here.

Like ive stated our main two forms of competition are the Panthers/Falcolns. The 3-4 alone will help us deal with checkdown charlie but we need someone who is able to scheme to take away the threat of the read option/pistol.

RG3 smoked them running and passing in both games. (1 game being a "win and your in" game).

Whoever gets the DC gig will have a full season of film to study Carolina (who we play twice) and SF to get a handle on that "crap" as Ryan so eloquently put it.

Another thing that scares me about Rob Ryan, is 2 seasons in a row, they had "Win and you are in" games at the end of the season. In both games the defense choked. His defenses never seemed chuch to more or mentally strong.

Players like him because "he likes for guys to have fun out there" but winning aint fun. Sorry.

Well, the situation is similar here then in St.Louis for Ryan, he will NOT be able to choose his assistants here.

Ryan is a good coordinator, but I don't see him as a good fit here. I think there are several candidates that can do better.

Frankly, I see him in Sean's eyes like a Plan B candidate. Of the 2 names we know now, I prefer Grantham, but I will hope we can get permission to talk to Tomsula and/or Monachino.

We don't now that for sure he won't be able to replace some of the assistants already in place.

ATHENS &#8211; Todd Grantham is not going anywhere and Davin Bellamy very likely will sign with the Georgia Bulldogs later this morning.

That was the word from Bridgett Bellamy Wednesday morning. She is Davin Bellamy&#8217;s mother and she sprang into action last night when reports circulated that Grantham, Georgia&#8217;s defensive coordinator and Bellamy&#8217;s would-be position coach, was going to interview for the New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator position on Thursday.

&#8220;We got to the bottom of it,&#8221; Mrs. Bellamy said over the phone from the hallways of Chamblee High, where Davin is scheduled to make his announcement at 11 a.m. &#8220;We spoke with Grantham, we spoke with (Bryan) McClendon, we&#8217;ve spoken with Mark Richt. There is no truth to that and it will not affect Davin&#8217;s decision today.&#8221;

Earlier Wednesday Davin affirmed that Georgia is still his leader. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound outside linebacker and one-time Florida State commitment has not pledged to any school yet but will choose among the Bulldogs, Oregon and Tennessee.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune and a sideline reporter for the Saints radio network -- citing head coach Sean Payton as his source -- each tweeted Tuesday night that an interview with Grantham had been scheduled for Thursday. They also said Rob Ryan would interview for the same position on Friday. Meanwhile, an ESPN report surfaced late Tuesday night that Ryan would in fact become the Saints new defensive coordinator. There has been no announcement from the Saints.

&#8220;Coach Grantham talked to Davin and assured him that he had nothing to worry about and that he was staying at Georgia and he would be Davin&#8217;s position coach,&#8221; Mrs. Bellamy said. &#8220;He&#8217;s been recruiting him now for several months and Davin has his word that he will be there when Davin starts at Georgia in the fall. I was glad to hear that."

I wouldn't be mad if we got Ryan. The guy would bring alot of passion and fire with him. Just think how agressive our Defense was the first year under GW this hire would be simular IMO.

It's like people just blanked out 2010 and 2011.

The Saints defense was aggressive than too. They just failed to make plays. Players were so concerned with "bringing the wood" that they'll miss tackles that they would have made if they had wrapped up instead of launching. Blitzing all the time left the secondary wide open, specially after we lost a safety able to make plays on the ball.

I just don't understand why would we get rid of GW so that we could bring in a coach with almost the same play style.

ATHENS &#8211; Todd Grantham is not going anywhere and Davin Bellamy very likely will sign with the Georgia Bulldogs later this morning.

That was the word from Bridgett Bellamy Wednesday morning. She is Davin Bellamy&#8217;s mother and she sprang into action last night when reports circulated that Grantham, Georgia&#8217;s defensive coordinator and Bellamy&#8217;s would-be position coach, was going to interview for the New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator position on Thursday.

&#8220;We got to the bottom of it,&#8221; Mrs. Bellamy said over the phone from the hallways of Chamblee High, where Davin is scheduled to make his announcement at 11 a.m. &#8220;We spoke with Grantham, we spoke with (Bryan) McClendon, we&#8217;ve spoken with Mark Richt. There is no truth to that and it will not affect Davin&#8217;s decision today.&#8221;

Earlier Wednesday Davin affirmed that Georgia is still his leader. The 6-foot-5, 240-pound outside linebacker and one-time Florida State commitment has not pledged to any school yet but will choose among the Bulldogs, Oregon and Tennessee.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune and a sideline reporter for the Saints radio network -- citing head coach Sean Payton as his source -- each tweeted Tuesday night that an interview with Grantham had been scheduled for Thursday. They also said Rob Ryan would interview for the same position on Friday. Meanwhile, an ESPN report surfaced late Tuesday night that Ryan would in fact become the Saints new defensive coordinator. There has been no announcement from the Saints.

&#8220;Coach Grantham talked to Davin and assured him that he had nothing to worry about and that he was staying at Georgia and he would be Davin&#8217;s position coach,&#8221; Mrs. Bellamy said. &#8220;He&#8217;s been recruiting him now for several months and Davin has his word that he will be there when Davin starts at Georgia in the fall. I was glad to hear that."

There has been an update to that AJC article from around 12:30 EST talking about Grantham being somewhat evasive when he was questioned about his future in GA during a signing day presser.

"You know what? I can tell you this, that my family loves it here; I like it here a lot; and this is a very special place and I think today needs to be focused on the players we've got here right now and trying to get back to Atlanta,&#8221; Grantham said.
Of course, that is effectively saying nothing. It still does not address whether or not he will interview with the New Orleans Saints on Thursday. That was reported on Twitter Tuesday by individuals who cover the Saints professionally, including the beat writer for The New Orleans Times-Picayune and a sideline reporter for the Saints radio network, citing Saints head coach Sean Payton as his source.

UPDATE: Grantham coy about coaching future at Georgia | UGA Sports | www.ajc.com

ATHENS – Todd Grantham is not going anywhere and Davin Bellamy very likely will sign with the Georgia Bulldogs later this morning.

That was the word from Bridgett Bellamy Wednesday morning. She is Davin Bellamy’s mother and she sprang into action last night when reports circulated that Grantham, Georgia’s defensive coordinator and Bellamy’s would-be position coach, was going to interview for the New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator position on Thursday.

“We got to the bottom of it,” Mrs. Bellamy said over the phone from the hallways of Chamblee High, where Davin is scheduled to make his announcement at 11 a.m. “We spoke with Grantham, we spoke with (Bryan) McClendon, we’ve spoken with Mark Richt. There is no truth to that and it will not affect Davin’s decision today.”

“Coach Grantham talked to Davin and assured him that he had nothing to worry about and that he was staying at Georgia and he would be Davin’s position coach,” Mrs. Bellamy said. “He’s been recruiting him now for several months and Davin has his word that he will be there when Davin starts at Georgia in the fall. I was glad to hear that."
Is this is a comment on the article?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom