Rob Ryan at UGA pro day -MERGED (1 Viewer)

Jones won't be available @15 I just don't see 14 other teams passing on that type talent and production coming from a guy that performed at the highest level in the SEC. He was able to still be a dominant player even after he was diagnosed with a possibly career ending spinal issue, which to me shows toughness and mental strength.

Saints need mentally tough players on defense! Just the mental ability to get over hearing that "spine" "paralysis", etc, and still stand out like he did.... I don't see him getting outta the top 10, but if he did get to 15 saints should take him no doubt!

Anyone got any research on the types of pass rushers rDouble' has drafted in his previous stints as dCoordinator???

And yet he was an elite pass rusher at a top level college program in the toughest conference in the country for multiple seasons.

Yeah....kinda strange, coming from Gill Brandt. But he said that what he sees in J Jones is when he rushes to the QB......he said, it is forced.

I didn't know what exactly he meant, but he then explained in detail. He compared Jones to Jared Allen. And he pointed out how Allen has the burst, once the tackle tries to block him....he "flies" to the QB.

He isn't seeing that with Jones.....He lacks the burst, and when chases the QB his run is forced.

Now I have no opinion on J Jones. I never seen him play for the Bulldogs, and all I have seen of him is from youtube. So I have no opinion on him, as a pass rusher. I also have no opinion on his medical condition. I hope he has a great career, the young man certainly is the focus of many experts.

The 1st round can basically be broken into 2 groups of OLB's.

You have the OLB's that played in the 3-4 in college, had elite production but lack good athleticism. That's Jones and Moore. Even though though Moore's vertical and broad jump suggest he has more explosion you definitely don't see any of it when he plays and when watching their games it looks like Jones has more quickness in his game.

Then there is the other group that were used out of position, lack the production but have elite athleticism and a high ceiling. That's Jordan, Ansah and Mingo. Jordan was used a lot in coverage, Ansah was used a lot as a DT in passing situations, and Mingo was a strongside end playing at 230 pounds.

Our first round draft history suggests we'll go with the 'safer' picks that lack upside and had good college careers. We did this with Jenkins and Ellis. I'm kind of curious to see what Ryan could do with a player with upside even though history isn't on my side. We've coached up Galette and Hicks. Wilson looked to be well on his way before Spags had the bright idea to try him at DE.

I remember from the sec championship game even though Jones had 2 sacks. bama had a lot of success running at him and i feel it will be the same in the NFL. great in pursuit but not at the point of attack.

Yeah....kinda strange, coming from Gill Brandt. But he said that what he sees in J Jones is when he rushes to the QB......he said, it is forced.

I didn't know what exactly he meant, but he then explained in detail. He compared Jones to Jared Allen. And he pointed out how Allen has the burst, once the tackle tries to block him....he "flies" to the QB.

He isn't seeing that with Jones.....He lacks the burst, and when chases the QB his run is forced.

Now I have no opinion on J Jones. I never seen him play for the Bulldogs, and all I have seen of him is from youtube. So I have no opinion on him, as a pass rusher. I also have no opinion on his medical condition. I hope he has a great career, the young man certainly is the focus of many experts.

Let me first point out that my disagreement with Brandt does not mean that I do not respect his opinion. But Jones is what I call extremely opportunistic. He is by no means relentless. If he is blocked, he backs away from the blocker, and watches the direction of the play. He gets some sacks this way, when the pressure from the opposite side flushes the QB towards him. He also will flow to the ball carrier or receiver if a clear path to the QB is not there. The thing that has always impressed me about Jones is that, when he does have a clear path, he never and I mean never misses. So his fourteen sacks would represent probably nine clear shots, three as a result of pressure from the other side, and two and a half coverage type sacks. He's not a high motor guy. But he makes the plays when they are needed. He impacts a game. He may not be perfect, but he is exactly what this defense has been lacking.

I remember from the sec championship game even though Jones had 2 sacks. bama had a lot of success running at him and i feel it will be the same in the NFL. great in pursuit but not at the point of attack.

alabama had success running @ everybody :idunno:

Jones is exactly the type of impact player that this Saints defense needs. The guy has a proven track record and i don't care what his 40 time is. The guy produced year after year in college. 40 times can be increased with proper training and technique. Having a nose for the football is a god-given ability that not every player has. If he is there at 15 we had better run to the podium to grab him.

I'd like our 15th overall pick to be able to contribute a great deal his rookie year.

With that said, im not so sure which position would be the biggest upgrade. Rhodes at CB? Makes sense since Greer doesn't have the size for lress coverage. Vaccaro? I could see that if Jenkins goes to SS or CB. Jones? It would depend on the scheme. Is the LOLB a pass rusher or universal? If its a pass rusher, then I think Jones could possibly beat out Wilson for the starting gig. If not, Jones would likely serve as a backup to Galette.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom