Rob Ryan has never been DC of a stable, well managed franchise (1 Viewer)

whodat16w

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Ryan clearly doesn't have the most sparkling resume, though it would be hard to find such a candidate the week after the Super Bowl (thanks Rog, but I digress). Anyhow, I would argue that one shouldn't judge the performance of Ryan's teams as an indicator of his flaws as a coach.

Consider the Raiders, Browns, Cowboys and Saints over the last ten years. The first three have been three of the most volatile, poorly managed franchises in the NFL. Between the three of them they have had (since 2003):

15 head coaches in 30 total seasons (3 teams X 10 years)
7/30 winning seasons
4/30 playoff appearances
1 playoff win

Over the same span, the Saints have had 2 head coaches, 4/10 playoff appearances, 5 playoff wins, 2 NFC title game appearances and a Super Bowl.

Point being, none of us know how Rob Ryan will turn out and there are certainly plausible reasons to be concerned. But I wouldn't focus too heavily on the franchise records or playoff appearances of his previous employers as they are franchises with fairly deeper problems than a defensive coordinator with long hair.

Consiglieri

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I hope you're right but the Saints have not been exactly "stable" recently.

Reaction score
I hope you're right but the Saints have not been exactly "stable" recently.
Last year we didn't have our head coach for a whole season, or a GM for the first half of a season. The 3 seasons before that have been pretty stable.

Saint Brees

The Seeker
Reaction score
Rob Ryan will do fine. I was personally hoping we sign him. This defense needs a coach that the players will love to play for.

GeaxSaints44

^^^ Not mispelled
Reaction score
He also has never had a nuclear offense led by Brees and Sean Payton' leadership. Hes been handcuffed by Jerry Jones until now.

12Stang

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Turn 1/3 the touchdowns into fieldgoals that were scored against us last year and we win at least 13 games

Zztop

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
ryan has never been a stable dc

Scott B

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
His QBs consisted of Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Tony Romo. I think he has stepped up a notch by coming to N.O.

duck22

Reaction score
The man has it in his blood. To coach football really defense and the players love him. At least he's not like his crazy brother at least he has more sense. Who Dat let's get this thing going I'm very happy to have R Ryan as our D Coach. Who Dat Nation lets go get that trophy back and bring it from Baltimore to NOLA

outvoted

Due to popular demand....
Reaction score
I think you are correct. All he is oging to have to do is bring the level of play up to a consistent "decent" and it will pay dividends for this team.

Now, if he does indeed get some cogs to throw into the machine, make this an "open competition" (which I think we can all count on), and sets the tone early, it wont surprise me at all if he not only improves the squad immensely, but also makes them top 5 simply due to him being able to "gamble" some because of the offense we have.

I don't see him gambling like 3G, but more in the sense of personnel.

Yes, I know.......Very high hopes, but what do you expect, this is my team!!

Boondock

Veritas Aequitas
Reaction score
All that we realistically need is a top 15-17 ranked defense. If Ryan can get us that, we are New York bound in February of 2014. The 2 biggest things Ill look for come the regular season is turnover margin and points allowed. Yards don't mean diddly-poo if you don't score points.

Reaction score
As long as Payton has final authority over Ryan, then I think there is a good chance that Ryan will be successful. Gregg Williams tenure as DC was doomed by a contract that gave him unfettered control of the defense. I have my fingers crossed that Payton and Loomis didn't make that same mistake this time.

Frank The Rat

Official SR twitter team
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
His QBs consisted of Kerry Collins, Aaron Brooks, Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Tony Romo. I think he has stepped up a notch by coming to N.O.
looking at that list it is clear his collection of QB's have been....how can I say this nicely........limited. When Tony Romo is the Best QB you have ever been on a team with you know you have problems. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom