ROB RYAN led defense has never made it to the postseason (1 Viewer)

Any defense thats around 20th ranked and up will get us where we need to be, switching to the 3-4 and switching coordinators wont magically place the D in the top 15.
That isn't even the point!

Why not even bother to conduct interviews with other candidates for cripes sake??? And talk about aiming low, "lets just bring in any old mediocre coordinator" and expect average results. That always ends well.

I mean what could it possibly hurt to interview a few other prominent names around the league? First Spags, now Ryan? The strategy seems to be wait around to see what lousy defensive coordinator gets fired so that we can bring them in. Worked so well with spagnolo right?:idunno:

If we really did hire Ryan (and given the confirmations that Rams was a done deal, I'll wait), he's far from a "lousy defensive coordinator". I'm not a personal fan, but he's certainly considered to be at the very least a decent or good DC.

Any defense thats around 20th ranked and up will get us where we need to be, switching to the 3-4 and switching coordinators wont magically place the D in the top 15.

Those results were with teams with better defensive talent built up than us. The Cowboys D alone shows that he can't get much done even when he does have all the tools.

Haha, I wouldn't be so sure about that. With the talent pool we have, it would take a act from the gods to have a peek inside the top 20. Here's to wishful thinking though!

Those results were with teams with better defensive talent built up than us. The Cowboys D alone shows that he can't get much done even when he does have all the tools.

that Cowboys Def was without many of its starters for much of the year, and that list includes Ware, Ratliff, and a couple others. it looks like Rob Ryan has coached on teams with Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Tony Romo as his QB's.... i wanna see how well he does with a consistent Off and playing Def with the lead in most games. This Saints team is a completely different world from those other teams he coached.

Haha, I wouldn't be so sure about that. With the talent pool we have, it would take a act from the gods to have a peek inside the top 20. Here's to wishful thinking though!

You say that, but with the same personel, GW had this D ranked at number 5 in yards allowed in 2011.

ROB RYAN was the RAIDERS, BROWNS and COWBOYS DC and while he was there, these teams have never made it to the playoffs ...... I really hope GIL BRANDT and JAY GLAZER are wrong ..... My first choice was JIM TOMSULA from the 9ers but at this point, its anyone but this guy ...... please SEAN .... dont do this ...

No team has ever lost the last three games of the regular season and won the Super Bowl. Remember that one? I'm on the fence with RR, but these kinds of stats don't mean that much to me.

We can't just go interview anyone. The teams have to give permission. Either sf or Baltimore probably has not done so yet.

This is the scheme the Saints D was accustomed to....and they were not great, but OK under GW.

Right now the Saints just don't have the money to bring in new talent at every position of need. So they do the next best thing. Hire a proven DC, instead of taking a huge chance with an unproven coach, who never been a DC before. Yeah, Crennel might be the best of the 2 proven coaches, but at this point no one knows what Crennel has in mind. WE know he probably want to take some time off, so if that's the case then Ryan should get the nod.

I have nixed feelings of Grantham.....But the only thing the Saints cannot afford is bringing in someone who continues the Spags malaise, and keep underachieving with the Saints defense. That cannot happen again. Ryan is fiery coach, and if closely monitored, then his D might be good enough to make the team a contender again.

Yeah, as the song goes....if you can't be with the one you love....love the one you're with.

1. We haven't hired anyone.

2. We are interviewing a few guys.

3. Spags won a superbowl, how did that help us?

4. Sean Payton's 3 years at Dallas consisted of a 10-6, 0-1 playoffs season, then 6-10 and 9-7 and no playoffs. So, Payton's last three years in prior to taking the Saints job, he was 25-23 and 0-1 in the playoffs.

5. I trust Sean Payton's intelligence to hire the right guy.

. it looks like Rob Ryan has coached on teams with Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, and Tony Romo as his QB's...

This right here, guys. How good can you expect a defense to be when you keep giving the ball back to the other team?

If we had a defense last year that would have just ranked 25th or so, allowing one less scoring drive per game, we are in the playoffs. And that was LAST year. Think about how a 20th ranked D will be THIS year, with Coach Payton back.

Ryan's defensive rankings:

2004-2012

30th
26th
3rd
21st
26th
31st
21st
14th
19th

What's so hard about interviewing up and comers from established defensive powerhouses like Pittsburgh before going out and signing the first big name that hits the market????:fit2:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Payton is just going to hire the biggest name on the market. I doubt he will delve much deeper than that.

That isn't even the point!

Why not even bother to conduct interviews with other candidates for cripes sake??? And talk about aiming low, "lets just bring in any old mediocre coordinator" and expect average results. That always ends well.

I mean what could it possibly hurt to interview a few other prominent names around the league? First Spags, now Ryan? The strategy seems to be wait around to see what lousy defensive coordinator gets fired so that we can bring them in. Worked so well with spagnolo right?:idunno:

I think you should take over and head coach AND General Manager.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom