Rob Ryan "Perfect Fit" comes from Belichick/Parcells tree (1 Viewer)

jokerface

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
After reading this article its easy to see why this is Sean Payton's frontrunner. I am sure Payton talked with Bill Belichick about Rob Ryan who was the Linebackers coach for the Patriots from 2000-2003. Bill must have gave him excellent marks and Eric Mangini also hired Rob Ryan as his DC when he was the head coach with the Browns. It is now clear that Rob Ryan actually hails from the Belichick/Parcells coaching tree and we know who Sean Payton gets his advice from. This is a great article to see why Rob Ryan is the frontrunner for the Saints DC positon. Not to mention he transitioned the Raiders from a 4-3 to a 3-4 so he has experience with what we hope to accomplish.

"Clark agreed with Ware's assessment, even adding that Ryan did a splendid job with the Raiders when he came in and switched the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme, similar to the one that Ryan used as an assistant with the New England Patriots under Coach Bill Belichick and defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel."

While Ryan's arrival didn't bring immediate success, the Raiders did eventually rank third in the league in defense in 2006. Clark said he believes Ryan could have the same type of impact in New Orleans.
"He's a perfect fit for the Saints," Clark said. "He comes from a great football background, an attacking style. Rob Ryan prides himself on having a physical defense.
Rob Ryan would bring attitude and an attacking 3-4 scheme to New Orleans | NOLA.com

Admittedly, most of my prejudices against are somewhat unfounded, as I really know nothing about him. But a couple of articles and this one are starting to make me think. For real, he was the DC under Norv Turner on the Raiders, and whoever the actual coach on the Cowboys is. How could he have any kind of successful record?

He's never had the benefit of working with anything even close to a Payton/Brees combo. I'm not too worried if he's the guy.

sounds good, both of the candidates worked with romeo crennel

As long as he doesnt implement bounties then im ok with him.

Oh and no videos of animals hunting each other down either. Lol

Im beginning to change my mind on him. Maybe he would be a good fit, here...

I don't mind someone outspoken like Rob Ryan, I was there at training camp multiple times in 2009 when GW came in. It was like boot camp for the defense, I remember GW getting in players faces calling them dumb, he was grabbing players face masks and lambasting them, people in the stands could hear him dropping F.bombs. GW let them know who was boss, he made players do up-downs when they screwed up, he got in MJ's face for dropping an int telling him he's not in college anymore, he's in GW's hell now and he better play like a man not a sissy.

GW got in peoples faces, that is exactly what this defense needs after the season they had. So I don't mind Rob Ryan, the defense kinda needs a hot head right now after the season they just turned out.

I dunno.. I guess we just have to trust whomever they choose. Can't get any worse

I think most of the prejudice against Ryan is with his ties to Buddy Ryan's (by blood) bounty habits. He has never had the type of team structure or offense that the Saints will offer. Dallas had a good defense, and Romo being terrible created a lot of short fields for the defense to defend.

On a personal note, I am not for or against Rob Ryan. It makes a lot of sense for the coaching staff (and Loomis) to do their due diligence in finding and hiring the best man for the job.

Do Belichick and Parcells even talk? As is true for probably anyone who worked under Parcells, there is some scar tissue from the experience. And when Belichick took the New England job, there was then a break in the relationship.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom