Rob Ryan Poll: Who Wants him? Who doesn't? (1 Viewer)

Do you want Rob Ryan as DC?

• Yes, Rob Ryan is the DC for the Saints

Votes: 153 30.3%
  • No, he is ALL WRONG, I don't want this!!!

Votes: 92 18.2%
  • I've not made my mind up yet

Votes: 169 33.5%
  • I'm still hoping for a mystery candidate to get the job

Votes: 91 18.0%

• Total voters
Listening to this doesn't make me feel any better about Ryan.

Bobby & Deke talk to Todd Archer who covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com

That is true....but in all fairness every gig is different. Archer talks about Fangio, W Philips, and the clowns DC, Mike Nolan, or Jack Del Rio......they all changed the culture in one season when they took over......but all those DCs stunk it up in their previous gigs, and got canned. Say what you want, but Fangio, who is great in Frisco, was released from his previous gig, so was Philips, or JD Rio. So really Archer never mentions that aspect of their resume.

This could be exactly the same way. maybe Ryan will have exactly the same kind of success these other DC had with their new team, from day one in Nola.....its very hard to say. But if the Saints defense performs average in their first year, the Saints will likely end up in the NFCCG, that's how good their offense is. Ryan never had that before, save the Patriots gig. And there, his LBs were great!

At this point he is the best option.

Romeo, Donatell, & Tomsula are not options. I'm not impressed with Grantham; here in GA they seem to can't get him packed soon enough (not a good sign). And I'm starting to believe that the mystery candidate is just that, a mystery.

This late in the game the new DC would need to be able to assemble a staff pretty quickly (we only have Vitt and Johnson in place). I think Rob Ryan probably has his guys waiting in N.O. for the announcement while Grantham may have trouble assembling a staff. This would make it more likely that we keep Johnson and settle for other position coaches, which I would not prefer to do.

I thought Sean had a plan when he fired Spags so quickly but now I'm starting to think he do not, which is unfortunate. BUT, I'll support the decision they make 100%, as true fans do.

That is true....but in all fairness every gig is different. Archer talks about Fangio, W Philips, and the clowns DC, Mike Nolan, or Jack Del Rio......they all changed the culture in one season when they took over......but all those DCs stunk it up in their previous gigs, and got canned. Say what you want, but Fangio, who is great in Frisco, was released from his previous gig, so was Philips, or JD Rio. So really Archer never mentions that aspect of their resume.

This could exactly the same way. maybe Ryan will have exactly the same kind of success these other DC had with their new team, from day one in Nola.....its very hard to say. But if the Saints defense performs average in their first year, the Saints will likely end up in the NFCCG, that's how good their offense is. Ryan never had that before, save the Patriots gig. And there, his LBs were great!

I get what you're saying and if this was going to be Ryan's second shot (or even third shot) at being a DC then maybe I would feel like he could turn it around because he learned from his past mistakes, had bad circumstances on other teams, etc. He's been a DC with three other NFL teams and I know those weren't the best teams but IMO he still hasn't done anything special and it's not like teams were trying to hire him away from his previous gigs.

I could be wrong though and he could end up being great. If we hire him I hope that he does, but I'm still not sold.

I get what you're saying and if this was going to be Ryan's second shot (or even third shot) at being a DC then maybe I would feel like he could turn it around because he learned from his past mistakes, had bad circumstances on other teams, etc. He's been a DC with three other NFL teams and I know those weren't the best teams but IMO he still hasn't done anything special and it's not like teams were trying to hire him away from his previous gigs.

I could be wrong though and he could end up being great. If we hire him I hope that he does, but I'm still not sold.

His "smoke & mirrors" D in Cleveland beat us, the best offense in football....that's eye opener.

His "smoke & mirrors" D in Cleveland beat us, the best offense in football....that's eye opener.

True, but he also had Scott Fujita on that team who had all the inside info.

I think that Scott Fujita probably had more to do with the defense that beat us than Ryan did. Ryan is not a guy that I want, but if Payton thinks he's the best guy than so be it.

As good as Sean has been with the offense he really haven't done so well with defensive coordinators(GW only one good year). I hope whoever he pick this time is successful. :crossfingers:

HELL! TO THE NOOOO! He's a GW clone, takes too many chances. Im ready for a solid, non-gimmicky straight forward style of defense. Let's look for competent players and play good defense.

We should not settle Ryan because he is the best option right now. I think it's not appropriate to think (and I exagerate) "he is not the best but he's got swagg"
I'm convinced that the Saints are a top organisation and one of the best team in the NFL and that they should target a better coach.

We should not settle Ryan because he is the best option right now. I think it's not appropriate to think (and I exagerate) "he is not the best but he's got swagg"
I'm convinced that the Saints are a top organisation and one of the best team in the NFL and that they should target a better coach.

I totally agree with this.

HELL! TO THE NOOOO! He's a GW clone, takes too many chances. Im ready for a solid, non-gimmicky straight forward style of defense. Let's look for competent players and play good defense.

Isn't that exactly what Spags tried to do. I want a solid defense to but we have a very short window. I sure preferred GWs "taking chances" to Spags trying to play it straight. We just don't have the cap space or draft choices to fix our massive personnel problems in one year.

football is about taking chances.. this isnt golf. there arent any good coaches that dont take chances.. you sit back and play passive and you will be abused for four quarters

As good as Sean has been with the offense he really haven't done so well with defensive coordinators(GW only one good year). I hope whoever he pick this time is successful. :crossfingers:
GW players failed him..the man was a heck of a coach our guys were in position to make plays way more often than not and just didnt make them.. Not a popular opinion but GW was very good while here

If SP deems him the best fit, I will support the hire. I find it reassuring that we're having a real search and competition this year. It's unfortunate that the same approach wasn't used last year.

I'm tellin' yall: We don't need the media circus that surrounds this man. It'll bring more of the wrong sort of attention...the last thing we need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom