Rob Ryan Poll: Who Wants him? Who doesn't? (1 Viewer)

Do you want Rob Ryan as DC?

• Yes, Rob Ryan is the DC for the Saints

Votes: 153 30.3%
  • No, he is ALL WRONG, I don't want this!!!

Votes: 92 18.2%
  • I've not made my mind up yet

Votes: 169 33.5%
  • I'm still hoping for a mystery candidate to get the job

Votes: 91 18.0%

• Total voters
We should not settle Ryan because he is the best option right now. I think it's not appropriate to think (and I exagerate) "he is not the best but he's got swagg"
I'm convinced that the Saints are a top organisation and one of the best team in the NFL and that they should target a better coach.

Who are the better coaches you speak of?

Sean stated it would be 2-4 interviews, we know about 2, 1 was denied, & the longer the mysterious candidate stays unnamed the longer one can assume he was denied also. He gets an A for effort.

BUT with teams denying permission to interview the options are limited. It matters not if we are a top organization. It probably works against us that we are.

Fact is we have a limited pool to select from and due to the fact we maybe doing this again in 2 years. The only thing I blame the FO for is: we seem to not have a plan in place if teams denied us. Ryan could not have been our 1st choice, he was hired the same day that Spags was fired.

That is true....but in all fairness every gig is different. Archer talks about Fangio, W Philips, and the clowns DC, Mike Nolan, or Jack Del Rio......they all changed the culture in one season when they took over......but all those DCs stunk it up in their previous gigs, and got canned. Say what you want, but Fangio, who is great in Frisco, was released from his previous gig, so was Philips, or JD Rio. So really Archer never mentions that aspect of their resume.
The difference being though that all of those guys had proven track records of success in their backgrounds. Ryan does not.

His "smoke & mirrors" D in Cleveland beat us, the best offense in football....that's eye opener.

Wow, you are going to ignore his 9 years of coaching and look at one game where Cleveland played desperate with nothing to lose?

GW players failed him..the man was a heck of a coach our guys were in position to make plays way more often than not and just didnt make them.. Not a popular opinion but GW was very good while here

He sure could make lemon aid out of lemons. I think that's what the pay for performance was all about. He knew he had an absolute disaster in the personnel. He threw everything including the kitchen sink at it and he went nuts doing it. None if that mess would have probably happened if GW had decent players. He made a top 10 defense from rejects no one wanted.

I voted yes for Ryan because he's a better DC than Grantham.
But I will back whoever Payton hires for the job.

How do we know he is better? What has he done?

Sadly, most would probably take the "mystery candidate", sight unseen, over either Ryan or Grantham.

I just cannot see Payton taking another GW personality in. Maybe he feels he can control Ryan more than he did Williams, but it sure seems odd that he would do that.

How do we know he is better? What has he done?

Sadly, most would probably take the "mystery candidate", sight unseen, over either Ryan or Grantham.

I just cannot see Payton taking another GW personality in. Maybe he feels he can control Ryan more than he did Williams, but it sure seems odd that he would do that.

And I can't see him taking another DC who was fired from Cleveland for the same reasons he just fired Spagnuolo.... Grantham was fired on January 11, 2008 after the 2007 season with the Brown's defense ranking 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against among 32 teams.

Been there done that.... didn't taste good.

My first choices would be Tomsula, Crennel, or the LB coach from Pittsburg. Since none of them seem to be options then I wouldn't truly hate having Ryan as our D.C. but he wouldn't be my favorite either. From hearing about Grantham's defenses history I'd rather Ryan but still holding out hope for this mystery candidate.

Wow, you are going to ignore his 9 years of coaching and look at one game where Cleveland played desperate with nothing to lose?

You seem to be the one ignoring his nine years of coaching. The organizations he was with, the talent he had, the injuries last year. He shouldn't even have been fired in Dallas. Their defense wasn't the problem (especially considering they were missing 7 starters for the majority of the year).

Ryan was a graduate assistant at Western Kentucky in 1987 and at Ohio State in 1988. Ryan then spent 5 seasons at Tennessee State, where he coached running backs (1989–91), wide receivers(1992) and the defensive line (1993). He served as defensive coordinator at Hutchinson Community College in 1996, where they led the nation in total defense (228 yards per game) and in sacks (56). His defense also set a national record by forcing 49 turnovers. Ryan originally entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1994 as defensive backs coach on his father's staff at Arizona Cardinals. He also coached Cardinals cornerbacks and safeties in 1995. With Ryan as his position coach, cornerback Aeneas Williams earned two trips to the Pro Bowl in 1994 and 1995. In 1995, the Cardinals led the NFL with 32 interceptions and 42 total takeaways. The 1994 Cardinals ranked second in the NFL total defense, second in run defense and third in pass defense. From 1997–99, Ryan was the defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State, where the Cowboys defense continually ranked among the best in the nation, also he was named Coordinator of the Year by The Sporting News in 1997.

In 1999, they were ranked 10th in the nation in total defense. In 1998, they were second in the nation with 41 sacks. In his first season at Oklahoma State, the Cowboys defense finished among the nation top-20 in turnover margin, rushing defense, scoring defense and total defense, allowing just 302.7 yards per game. It was an over 100-yard improvement per game from the year before and helped the Cowboys produce an 8–4 mark and capping the 1997 season with a berth in the Alamo Bowl.

From 2000 to 2003, Ryan was the linebackers coach for the New England Patriots.[1] In 2003, the Patriots ranked first in the NFL in fewest points allowed 238 while ranking seventh overall in the NFL in total defense. Ryan's unit also contributed to one of the best scoring defenses in franchise history in 2001, as the Patriots allowed just 17 points per game and produced Pro Bowlers Willie McGinest and Tedy Bruschi. However, as the actual Defensive Coodinator, Ryan's defenses have not accomplished postseason success and have digressed since 2004.

From 2004 to 2008, Ryan was the defensive coordinator for the Oakland Raiders.[1] In 2006, the Raiders ranked third in yards allowed per game and eighteenth in points allowed per game.

Former Cleveland Browns head coach Eric Mangini named Ryan as defensive coordinator on January 14, 2009.

He was officially named the Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator on January 19, 2011.[3] The Cowboys missed the playoffs again in 2011 and were medicore on defense, ranking 14th in yards allowed per game and 16th in points allowed per game. The 2012 season was more of the same. Dallas was ranked 14th in yards allowed per game and 23rd in points allowed per game while only ranking 16th in QB sacks. Dallas did not make the playoffs yet again. No Ryan-led defense has ever qualified for the postseason. On January 8, 2013, the Cowboys ended Ryan's employment with the franchise.[4] Various sources are now saying that the New Orleans Saints are planning on hiring him as defensive coordinator for the upcoming season

Raiders, Browns and Cowboys being the teams that sucked speaks more to the problem than it being Ryan.

I voted no. Was it Triplett who said he was Gregg Williams lite? I do not like the coaching tree or the persona. The only thing I find positive with Ryan is that he has experience as a coordinator. But I am not impressed. If he gets the job, I hope I am wrong.

football is about taking chances.. this isnt golf. there arent any good coaches that dont take chances.. you sit back and play passive and you will be abused for four quarters

This isn't golf? Have you ever played golf? Next time you find yourself in Southern California PM me and we'll go play a round, and have a blast playing it. Golf is all about risk/reward, when to go for it and when to lay up, I hate to lay up but sometimes you really have no choice. If you lay up too much and constantly play it safe you're going to get crushed. I see where you're going with this but as an avid golfer and huge golf fan I just think it was a bad example.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
#Saints plan: Talk to Grantham Thurs, Rob Ryan today, try to get 1 more assistant interview, wrap up by Tues. Unless they lock up Rob today

And I can't see him taking another DC who was fired from Cleveland for the same reasons he just fired Spagnuolo.... Grantham was fired on January 11, 2008 after the 2007 season with the Brown's defense ranking 25th against the pass, 27th against the run, and 30th in total-yards-against among 32 teams.

Been there done that.... didn't taste good.

Did you look at his other years? Also, did you look at Ryan's complete track record? Neither of these candidates are overly impressive slam dunks. Hoping there is another possibility out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom