Robert Carroll:Saints Audio Engineer Calls ESPN Story Crazy (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The latest Saints official to go on the record is Robert Carroll, audio engineer for the Saints’ radio broadcasts. Carroll told WWL that, if anything like that was going on, he would have known about it.
“Absolutely, without question,” Carroll said. “I’ve spent too many hours in that Superdome not to think I would have seen something.”
Carroll’s immediate reaction to the report was skepticism. “My opinion, when I heard the story, I said, ‘This is crazy. This is ridiculous,’” Carroll said.

Entire NBC Sports Story: Saints audio engineer disputes eavesdropping claim | ProFootballTalk

The latest Saints official to go on the record is Robert Carroll, audio engineer for the Saints’ radio broadcasts. Carroll told WWL that, if anything like that was going on, he would have known about it.
“Absolutely, without question,” Carroll said. “I’ve spent too many hours in that Superdome not to think I would have seen something.”
Carroll’s immediate reaction to the report was skepticism. “My opinion, when I heard the story, I said, ‘This is crazy. This is ridiculous,’” Carroll said.

Entire NBC Sports Story: Saints audio engineer disputes eavesdropping claim | ProFootballTalk

Somebody's lying and looking for their minute of spotlight and I hope that they burn for it.

Somebody's lying and looking for their minute of spotlight and I hope that they burn for it.

:plus-un2:, this is a dog pile situation. Who gets in trouble in dog piles, the last person to jump on. Why? Because he had nothing to do with the play. He just came in late, saw an opportunity to get in the action and took it.

The person who conjured up this story probably thought "what the heck? the world thinks they're evil anyway, why not throw another log on the fire"?

I am not sure how law enforcement got enough credible information to start an investigation, but if all this is made up then I am pretty sure you can get in some serious legal trouble for reporting false information to law enforcement. Misleading the FBI, and sending them on a wild goose chase not a very smart move.

I am not sure how law enforcement got enough credible information to start an investigation, but if all this is made up then I am pretty sure you can get in some serious legal trouble for reporting false information to law enforcement. Misleading the FBI, and sending them on a wild goose chase not a very smart move.

Few things would make me smile more than knowing some of these idiots at ESPN could be looking a jail time. They all deserve to play a few rounds of drop the soap in the shower

Something that ESPN has left out is how hard this would be the NFL has whats called a "Frequency Coordinator" that assigns the frequency each team uses each week so unless Loomis had a spy in the NFL offices or in each of the Saints opponents this would be impossible. Teams guard these frequency assignments like they do their playbooks. The media is acting like he tried to phone tap them over a hard wired communication line.

Also the equipment they use isn't something you can pick up at Radio Shack or Best Buy this is the best money can buy and at the best if you had the ability to "hack the frequency" during the game, the time it would take to determine the frequency still wouldn't allow it to be feasible.

I absolutely loved the Vitt press conference, got me fired up for season. I love how he basically was saying that the crap has gone on long enough with all these stories, so give us the punishments so we can get on with our winning season! No excuses, all players and staff will be accountable for this season!

Championship!?

It would not surprise me at all if the NFL had just leaked this bogus story to soften up the public's reaction to the player suspensions.

Instead of people saying, "wait a minute, where WERE the bounty hits?", they'll be thinking it serves us right for being out of control. Then when ESPN retracts the "wiretapping" story weeks later, the backlash from player suspensions would be avoided.

Something that ESPN has left out is how hard this would be the NFL has whats called a "Frequency Coordinator" that assigns the frequency each team uses each week so unless Loomis had a spy in the NFL offices or in each of the Saints opponents this would be impossible. Teams guard these frequency assignments like they do their playbooks. The media is acting like he tried to phone tap them over a hard wired communication line.

Also the equipment they use isn't something you can pick up at Radio Shack or Best Buy this is the best money can buy and at the best if you had the ability to "hack the frequency" during the game, the time it would take to determine the frequency still wouldn't allow it to be feasible.

YEP!!!

They reported that the switch was initially used to listen to the SAINTS playcalls. That IS the wireless system. So it seems there is NO WAY anyone could rig it to listen to opponents everchanging frequencies.

The question was asked could ESPN be sued if the story is proven false? Some said no, that they simply reported an allegation that was told to them. But dont they have some kind of obligation to verify? Seems in this case, all they had to do was ask the NFL people how the system works and can it be tapped into?

Just my 2....

Telex BTR-1 1-to-1 UHF Full-Duplex, Digitally Encrypted Wireless Intercom Base Station Transceiver

These are the radios the NFL uses. Not only are the frequencies (each team is assigned several of them) assigned by the NFL on gameday, the whole system is encrypted so even if you stumbled across the opponents frequency, you wouldnt pick it up anyway.

It would not surprise me at all if the NFL had just leaked this bogus story to soften up the public's reaction to the player suspensions.

Instead of people saying, "wait a minute, where WERE the bounty hits?", they'll be thinking it serves us right for being out of control. Then when ESPN retracts the "wiretapping" story weeks later, the backlash from player suspensions would be avoided.

It does seem kinda of odd how the stories broke tbh, almost like an attempt to sway public opinion. Whats next? We sign Brees to a contract and a story brakes about how all the upper management is addicted to blow and hookers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom