Robin Williams dead at 63. (1 Viewer)

aweome Mojo, thanks for posting.

While I was watching Dave describe him, I was wondering - who on Earth could ever play him in a movie about his life? I mean I know its too early, or should be too early but we know someone is working on it, but how will they do that. I don't think anyone could play him, certainly not the stage Williams.

Sorry to cross pollenate threads here. Watching the Ferguson coverage and Capt Johnson I turned to my wife and said "Samuel L Jackson is sitting in his mansion going 'that's my next pay check'".

No I get the point. The point is I can't possibly feel what someone like RW felt before he killed himself. Yes I get that, I don't know how bad it hurts to be that depressed. I'm just trying to point out that when a person ends it, he leaves behind family and friends wondering what they could have done to stop the suicide. You said I was selfish for those thoughts. I'm honestly angry at my friends, one left because he was going through a divorce and wanted his wife back. He put a shotgun into his mouth in his truck and pulled the trigger. He left behind 3 kids. One daughter that was very young. He was selfish and ended his pain and put that pain on his family and friends. Now he is wherever he is and we are left to have a great memory of him tempered by the fact he killed himself.

I understand your point, it's been expressed many times by many people - especially after Cobain, where I first was made aware of these grief shedding tactics as a teen.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here. People often call the person who kills themselves selfish while saying, "What about ME and my needs?". I just wonder why no one ever thinks about that as selfish. Just because the dead one isn't around for the aftermath?

Most people who contemplate suicide can't do it. It goes against our nature. It takes an extremely broken state of mind to follow through. Thinking about that makes me even sadder that a man such as Williams - my perception of who Williams was - was able to do such a thing. Was, potentially, driven to such a thing.

ok, fine. I grieved for my friends. Now tell me how to not feel like one more phone call might have stopped them? Tell me how to get rid of that guilt and we are good.

the reality is that there isn't anything you could have done to stop him...

when someone is broken that bad, they probably aren't going to reach out for help

Williams was 63, so it isn't like he was a mixed up kid, or robbing the world of his future genius. By most accounts he had put way more into the world than he took back out. He had earned a fortune, lost a considerable part of it to two failed marriages, and was presented with the specter of having to work on projects that he really didn't want to in order to maintain his family's lifestyle. He already struggled with depression and addiction, and is rumored to have been diagnosed with Parkinson's. And reports are that this was apparently a spur of the moment action, not a planned exit. I'm not in favor of suicide, but I can sort of understand why in a brief and overwhelming moment of dread he may have felt it was his only choice.

I try very hard not to put people on pedestals; however, there are those that I do admire, both personally and from afar. Robin Williams is one of those people.

I was a kid when the man made me laugh at Mork & Mindy. I've always enjoyed his work through the decades, and felt that he was one of the best of our time. I always wanted to meet him and thank him for years of laughter and just great acting.

It was sad when the news first broke and it still sucks today.

While I was watching Dave describe him, I was wondering - who on Earth could ever play him in a movie about his life? I mean I know its too early, or should be too early but we know someone is working on it, but how will they do that. I don't think anyone could play him, certainly not the stage Williams.

Good heavens, I hope they never do. What possible good could come from that?

I will never call it selfish again. I did think that. But it haunts me how dark it must have been for someone like him to do that. And his family is handling it, publicly at least, with nothing but grace. They're the ones who are hurt. If they can be that gracious, I'll try to take my cues from them.

And here's another thing. You could say my nephew was selfish for WANTING to be a Marine, WANTING to go to Afghanistan. And he had other ways to go, other options. Sure, it wasn't suicidal but it was a choice and he knew what could happen. And it did. I could never, EVER say this aloud to his family, to my husband, to his widow; but, yeah, I've been angry at him for making the CHOICE he did. The circumstances are very different, but the end result is the same as those who are grieving are left behind kicking themselves for things they THINK they could have done differently to alter the path they saw their loved one on.
ok, fine. I grieved for my friends. Now tell me how to not feel like one more phone call might have stopped them? Tell me how to get rid of that guilt and we are good.
Semper, you're right, we can't tell you how to do that. But, in the end, we don't have that much control. Is anyone prepared to be with someone 24/7? That's the only way to control this particular situation. A friend of mine just shared her ordeal with her daughter. I had no idea how desperate she was to be with her every single second of every single day while she was in her "dark place". Her daughter survived, thankfully, but I don't think my friend ever quite managed 24/7 .... and this was her daughter. The girl who started the first precarious weeks of her life in the NICU. Let's both do ourselves a favor and try, TRY, to disabuse ourselves of the notion that we have that kind of control. Deal?
I'm only playing devil's advocate here. People often call the person who kills themselves selfish while saying, "What about ME and my needs?". I just wonder why no one ever thinks about that as selfish. Just because the dead one isn't around for the aftermath?
Denzien, very salient point. Thank you so much for expressing it.

Let me say I don't know what it feels like to be so depressed you are willing to end it all. I have two people in my life that committed suicide. Much like RW in the beginning I felt nothing but sadness. Today there is anger creeping in at the edges. I loved RW. He has ruined every movie of his for me. I can't watch it without thinking of a man that has been around making me laugh for most of my life hanging dead. Suicide is a very selfish way to end things IMO. Your family, friends and fans are left holding the bag and the remorse. I would imagine his wife, kids and friends will sit around for the rest of their lives and blame themselves for not being there. My best friends dad had a huge impact on my life, I have a ton of fond memories of him, that sour now when I think of them. I also wonder if it would have made a difference if I would have picked up the phone and called him out of the blue just to say hello. I hope their is peace out there for him, but I just can't help but imagine there is nothing.

When my nephew was KIA, I asked my husband if he ever would be able to watch a war movie again. Something he and his brother (my nephew's father) LOVE to do every Memorial Day. He said he didn't know. Well, eventually, that feeling went away and they still watch the war movies they grew up watching (it'll be 4 years this Thanksgiving). I really love to watch What Dreams May Come but it will be awhile given that movie's particular subject. But I will. Give yourself some time. Hopefully you can bring yourself to enjoy his movies again.

See, look at me trying to give you sage advice as if I can effectuate control over how you feel about something as I try and sort out my own complicated feelings. Silly me.

eventually, that feeling went away and they still watch the war movies they grew up watching (it'll be 4 years this Thanksgiving).

Bet those movies have a different meaning now, no? Perhaps more appreciation for soldiers depicted and their humanity? Similar to watching a movie as a child, then again as an adult and understanding more of the nuances there, the backstory and the meaning just a bit better.

Heck...I even wrote down a few interesting experiences I had when I was still delivering pizza in college. I had no idea at the time I was there, nor even while I was scribing it what meaning I would derive from the stories or how I had missed certain connections in the details.

One potentially contributing factor that has been talked about some is the fact that RW had been diagnosed as having Parkinson's. It is a pretty devastating disease with no hope of recovery, simply a hope that some medicines may slow down the progression of the disease. Being diagnosed with this disease can be overwhelming to some and certain medications used for Parkinson's have depression/potential suicidal tendencies as a side effect.

My 92 yo Mom has Parkinson's and from the time we found it, her condition has consistently diminished. Depression is one of the things that she deals with. Not to the point of suicide, but some folks are affected more than others. Perhaps Robin was.

At any rate, it strikes me as very possible that this had some impact on his state of mind. It sure could not have helped. But, of course, we'll never know for sure.

But those movies have a different meaning now, no? Perhaps more appreciation for soldiers depicted and their humanity? Similar to watching a movie as a child, then again as an adult and understanding more of the nuances there, the backstory and the meaning just a bit better

True. And are you familiar with "Restrepo"? THAT one, I don't think I could watch again. But it's a doc and, therefore, VERY real. The other doc that was hard to watch but I can again is the Section 60: Arlington National Cemetery. Obvs, like you said, with a VERY different meaning now.

It's just that I watched What Dreams May Come to get me through the nights while my Dad was on hospice (that, and Field of Dreams). They are very important movies to me and, dang it, I'll not let that get taken away from me to watch it again. But, yes, the experience will be very different.

True. And are you familiar with "Restrepo"? THAT one, I don't think I could watch again. But it's a doc and, therefore, VERY real. The other doc that was hard to watch but I can again is the Section 60: Arlington National Cemetery. Obvs, like you said, with a VERY different meaning now.

I haven't seen them

One potentially contributing factor that has been talked about some is the fact that RW had been diagnosed as having Parkinson's. It is a pretty devastating disease with no hope of recovery, simply a hope that some medicines may slow down the progression of the disease. Being diagnosed with this disease can be overwhelming to some and certain medications used for Parkinson's have depression/potential suicidal tendencies as a side effect.

My 92 yo Mom has Parkinson's and from the time we found it, her condition has consistently diminished. Depression is one of the things that she deals with. Not to the point of suicide, but some folks are affected more than others. Perhaps Robin was.

At any rate, it strikes me as very possible that this had some impact on his state of mind. It sure could not have helped. But, of course, we'll never know for sure.
Yes. And I've mentioned Jonathan Winters here and elsewhere as someone who was as seemingly tormented as RW and, yet, he survived it (meaning he didn't suicide and died of natural causes at 87). He did not have the comorbidity of the Parkinsons, so WAS that the difference? I'm skeptical. But like you said, we'll never ever know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom