"Robotic" vacuums (e.g. Roomba) (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We're in the market for a robot vacuum - our new house is perfect for it. I'm sure some of you have experience with them, what are your thoughts about considerations and which ones you think are the best.

There's a lot of conflicting info out there (always is with appliances, it seems). Consumer Reports likes the Samsung but CR isn't always reliable with stuff like that.

I have a Roomba 650. I like it. It works well.

I have a Roomba 650. I like it. It works well.

It seems like Roomba is still the ones to beat. It makes sense - they've been doing it longer than anyone else.

I was just reading this interesting tidbit about the Roomba 980: "Dark shaded floors and carpets are a problem for this device. The cliff avoidance system will keep it away from dark carpet, as it will consider this to be a hole or a cliff. There is no actual remedy for this, so that is something to consider for those that have dark floors."

Ha! Cliff-avoidance

67426513.jpg

It seems like Roomba is still the ones to beat. It makes sense - they've been doing it longer than anyone else.

I was just reading this interesting tidbit about the Roomba 980: "Dark shaded floors and carpets are a problem for this device. The cliff avoidance system will keep it away from dark carpet, as it will consider this to be a hole or a cliff. There is no actual remedy for this, so that is something to consider for those that have dark floors."

Ha! Cliff-avoidance

I wonder if those people are cleaning the device properly?

Here's an example of what I mean by inconsistency. Using only articles that appear to be from either reputable sources (like CR or CNET) or at least appear to be original content and not just ads or restatements of reviews, there isn't one clear winner.

Consumer Reports gives the top nod to the Samsung.

CNET gives best rating to the Neato.

The Independent (UK) has the Dyson at the top.

Here's an example of what I mean by inconsistency. Using only articles that appear to be from either reputable sources (like CR or CNET) or at least appear to be original content and not just ads or restatements of reviews, there isn't one clear winner.

Consumer Reports gives the top nod to the Samsung.

CNET gives best rating to the Neato.

The Independent (UK) has the Dyson at the top.

I know what you mean. I read a review of the Roomba where the reviewer hated the thing because he said it "crashes " into his walls. Yes it does hit walls, but it isn't that bad. I read customer comments and make a judgement based on that. If I never see a critical review I become suspicious. On the other hand, some consumers are idiots.
I think the Dyson is way over priced.
Same for the Samsung.
For the price, those units better be great.

Also, you have to clean the Roomba. The dustbin is small, but it's meant to be run frequently. You have to make sure that you clean the bearings on the brushes and clean the sensors as well. It's not difficult at all.
The manual is available for download if you want to look at that.

I just went through this.

Despite all the good stuff I heard about Neato, I decided to go with the name I recognize in Roomba. Sometimes that's good, sometimes it's bad, but I figured with robots it's better to be safe.

We got the Roomba 670. It's pretty amazing. We have a large dog of a breed that's famous for shedding, to the extent that they are chosen for TV commercials for vacuums. We've never been able to properly keep up with the hair; we chose to get used to it being everywhere.

The Roomba, when we first turned it on, wasn't really impressive. I wondered how it would every cover all the ground in my house. I also wondered how it would store all the stuff it picked up (having never seen the inside of a vacuum bag or canister, I figured they needed more room than what was available in the Roomba. This isn't true).

So, the thing is pretty awesome. It took longer than I expected to have enough faith in it to stop staring at it and just let it do its thing. Most of the house is (dark) wood floors and carpet. After a day or two of regular use, we noticed a cleanliness level that we hadn't seen since before the dog. Even after we swept up, it wasn't this clean - the Roomba picks up tons of tiny particles and dust.

I thought the long dog hair would kill it, but it's made to deal with it. It's very easy to untangle anything that gets caught up in it (iPhone earbuds, once). It's smart enough to stop itself the few times it gets into trouble.

The amazing thing is how it eventually covers all the ground. It never seems to go in what you would think is an efficient pattern. But it eventually hits every spot, and goes under the bed and the one couch we have that's tall enough for it to do so.

I love it. I'd probably love a Neato too, I guess, but I don't have one of those to compare. I'm definitely a robot vacuum loyalist now, though.

The only complaint I have is that it's still kinda loud. We let it run in the background and it runs for a long time.

Watching my Roomba 650 hit walls was the most entertaining thing of the first run.

I have stained concrete in my apartment, and a dog, so I almost have to sweep daily to keep the floor clear. The Roomba has done a fantastic job of keeping me from having to do that. What I thought may be a $300 boondoggle paid for itself in 2 days.

It's a little louder than I thought, considering the size, but not to the point where you can't watch TV while it's running. It takes about an hour for my ~800 sq ft apartment. This isn't a problem if you just schedule it though.

The only downside so far is when it gets stuck. Twice on objects I didn't pick up (which you can argue is a good thing, since you're more cognizant of picking up), once in the bathroom.

Funny-ish story on that. It managed to get in the bathroom, then close the door. Stuck inside, it continued to vacuum my bathroom until it died. A loyal servant to the end.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mine jumps on the putting green in the bonus room and changes the break in the putts, depending on which direction it vacuumed. So there are downsides.

I purchased the ilife V3 a few weeks ago. It is on sale right now for $158.00..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BAYXLI2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does a great job with pet hair and is quiet. It has an ultrasonic sensor which it uses to detect objects. As it approaches a wall, it slows down before hitting the wall then slightly touches before turning.

Never had any other brand but seriously can not see how a rhoomba can worth so much more. Of course it could die next week and then I would have my answer.

I'm still holding out for this one

rosie-robot.gif

We use a vacuum and a swiffer. Not that difficult.

Channeling my inner grizzled old man.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom