Rock/Mountain Climbing?? (1 Viewer)

shrance84

Water Boy
Reaction score
Im in desperate need of a new hobby and I think this one will suit me well.

Does anybody on SR participate in this sport. I have always been fascinated with heights and being on top of things. I did a hike up Ben Nevis a few years back. Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Great Britain. It is located in Scotland and the summit is 4,400 feet.

If anybody knows of a website to help me start or plan a trip that would be great. For the record I live New Orleans. I have been thinking the best beginner trip would be in Arkansas since it is close.

Do I need my first trip to be guided or can I teach myself? I would much rather teach myself.

I have a done a lot of rock climbing and some mountain climbing and ice climbing (see pic to the left). All are very different and require a different skill set. All are very safe if you know what you're doing. But, if something goes wrong it can go VERY wrong. So I would definitely suggest you start with someone how has much experience.

So I guess I will have to go with a guide. Do you have any website suggestions? I will be moving to California in two years and I hope to be ready by then and to find a partner. Since I don't know any mountaineers, will it be hard to join the community and find a partner?

Do I need my first trip to be guided or can I teach myself? I would much rather teach myself.

I have climbed the highest mountain in Louisiana. I completed the unguided expedition with nothing more than self-taught climbing skills and determination.

So I guess I will have to go with a guide. Do you have any website suggestions? I will be moving to California in two years and I hope to be ready by then and to find a partner. Since I don't know any mountaineers, will it be hard to join the community and find a partner?

This is what I use, but it's BC specific. Should offer you some good advice/trips and maybe some links.

http://bcmc.ca/index.asp

I have climbed the highest mountain in Louisiana. I completed the unguided expedition with nothing more than self-taught climbing skills and determination.

All 535 feet? I say this tongue in cheek. I've always wanted to go.

Try this for starters.

http://www.rokhaus.com/

Indoor climbing gym here in Lafayette where you can get some of the fundamentals.

They go climbing outside of Austin and I think they also take trips to Tennessee for good outdoor climbing. Louisiana is the only state in the country that doesn't have naturally occuring climbing landscapes (so I've been told).

There used to be one on Canal but I think they closed before Katrina.

Hey, so have I!. My son and I went last weekend and it was very enjoyable. May be my only highpoint, but I'm proud of it!

Im in desperate need of a new hobby and I think this one will suit me well.

Does anybody on SR participate in this sport. I have always been fascinated with heights and being on top of things. I did a hike up Ben Nevis a few years back. Ben Nevis is the highest mountain in Great Britain. It is located in Scotland and the summit is 4,400 feet.

If anybody knows of a website to help me start or plan a trip that would be great. For the record I live New Orleans. I have been thinking the best beginner trip would be in Arkansas since it is close.

Just a question, are you a veteran? Because if you are, there are VA sponsored trips to Colorado for week long hiking trips that include some rock climbing. These programs come to little or no cost to the Veteran. I cannot remember the website, but a Gunnery Sargeant I work with went on one of these trips and had a blast.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom