Rock stars object to GOP candidates use of their songs on campaign trail (1 Viewer)

I'm not one to start threads on politics, but since this story has a music angle, what the hell...

Boston's Scholz tells Huckabee to lay off song

Mellencamp's uproar over McCain playing Chevy truck pitch song "My Country" is also mentioned in this article.

Scholz is a very intelligent and gifted musician. He is a graduate of M I T.

He is also a very strange individual. Kinda kooky.

He should be glad anyone still wants to play his music. He is so "yesterday".

Joe

In the olden days, Republicans took their song cues from "Up With People", Pat Boone, and the King Family. There are Republican rock stars, and perhaps their catalogs can be culled for material. I've never been particularly fond of the camapign theme song anyway.

I agree with Huckabee on the first case (c'mon Scholz, his band played the song one time, it's not like they play it before every speech) and with Mellencamp in the second (because they DID play it at every campaign rally).

I'm sure Alice Cooper (personal friend of McCain) or Uncle Ted (hardcore conservative/Hillary-Obama hater) wouldn't mind if any Republican candidates used their songs.

However, I don't think "Elected", "Welcome To My Nightmare, "Stranglehold", etc. are very positive slants/political messages.

I'm sure Alice Cooper (personal friend of McCain) or Uncle Ted (hardcore conservative/Hillary-Obama hater) wouldn't mind if any Republican candidates used their songs.

However, I don't think "Elected", "Welcome To My Nightmare, "Stranglehold", etc. are very positive slants/political messages.

If Huckabee played "Wango Tango" I'd have to consider voting for him :9:

Here's a more comprehensive take on the topic of presidential candidates appropriating songs for their campaigns:

With “Our Country” no longer an option, McCain soldiers on with songs such as “Johnny Be Good” (a bit obvious), the theme from Rocky (Stallone’s a solid Republican, with excellent vocabulary) and Abba’s “Take a Chance on Me” (no, really). Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton last year held an online contest allowing supporters to choose a theme song, only to abandon their choice (Celine Dion’s “You and I”) almost immediately when someone reminded her that half the electorate have penises and therefore don’t like Celine Dion. Instead she uses songs like “Takin’ Care of Business” and, when speaking before the Rosie-the-Riveter types who make up her dwindling base, “9 to 5.” They’re effective, maybe, but they don’t provide quite the same inspiration that Bill’s campaign managed with “Don’t Stop.”

Political Culture: Songs For The Stump

Man, I was hoping one of 'em would be stupid enough to use "Born in the USA" or "Fortunate Son".

Man, I was hoping one of 'em would be stupid enough to use "Born in the USA" or "Fortunate Son".

John Fogerty sang "Fortunate Son" at official Kerry events meant to point out the obvious difference between Kerry and Bush, to no avail. Obama is the only candidate not carrying personal Vietnam baggage, and his election would mark progress of sorts. It took three generations to exorcise the Civil War from national politics.

Nothing like a whiney, aging musician.

The right wing radio shows lead off with musical passages. Do they get royalties? The Pretenders, Metallica, Martina McBride?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom