Rod Harper to I.R. (1 Viewer)

Glad to see Chase back on the roster. He will be the second coming of Brees!

This one I didn't see coming . . . I was assuming they'd keep Harper available as a potential contributor to special teams. Maybe they are now satisfied that the early-season return-defense problems have been satisfactorily addressed since Roby's return, but even if so, it's not obvious that the return game itself has improved enough.

All theories aside, maybe he really is hurt. I hope nothing happens later in the year to make us wish we still had him for special teams.

I am glad Daniel is re-signed, but I had assumed he was headed back to the practice squad. Its seems like we may be carrying a bit of extra weight on the 53-man roster now, with Hartley and Daniel both unlikely to see any playing time (although in Daniel's case, at least, he isn't taking a spot from the gameday 45.) I guess when everyone is healthy, as reported today :9:, they can afford to do this.

I doubt it because they would have put Daniel on the Practice Squad but they resigned Renardo Foster to the PS yesterday.
That's what I'm talking about. Roster moves like these ensure a team's long-term success. Daniel can now join the team as the emergency QB (which won't affect the inactives) and we can continue grooming Foster, our RT of the future, on the p-squad.

Classics Patriot's trick. Stashing players on IR to "redshirt" them

Hey, I'm all for it--and I'm guessing you are too LSSpam. That's the kind of creative entrepreneurial management that makes a team into a Super Bowl contender.

I like Rod Harper and I think he has a future in the NFL. Right now we really cannot use him with his foot injury being as it is, so why not stash him inside the IR fence and hang onto him?

One also might consider that this could be the best move for Rod Harper too. He has already created "capital" for himself with the Saints as a consequence of his standout performance this last preseason and, if we were to lose him, he would probably have to start from scratch, or very nearly there, with another team. This way he stays with an NFL team, gets a paycheck without having to worry that he'll be cut for the remainder of the season and has the opportunity to rehab his injury with the best of professional guidance, while continuing to learn the Saints' system.

By hanging on to Rod Harper we are probably saving ourselves a mid-to-late round draft pick in 2010.

I remember one of our rookies (Arnoux I think) specifically saying "I don't want to go on IR." I know, winning cures all etc... but most guys go home when they get put on IR. They do not even stay with the team, so I don't know how vested they feel in the team's success, especially rookies.

That was Chip Vaughn...

Classics Patriot's trick. Stashing players on IR to "redshirt" them

My first thought as well. I'm sure he really did have a foot injury. IR worthy? Now that's another question altogether.

@jeffduncantp The Saints placed Rod Harper on injured reserve today with a foot injury and re-signed Chase Daniel to the active roster.

Now it makes sense. When I read this, I immediately thought "who did we sign" because I didn't think Harper had any significant injury.

Loomis: Sean, Daniel's agent says he's been made an offer to join <so-and-so's> practice squad.
Payton: Okay, thanks for the heads up, Mickey.

Payton walks up to Rod Harper, nods to Strief

Payton: How's that foot, Harper?
Harper: Oh, it feels great co---
Payton: Ouch, that looks painful. Unfortunately, we can't afford to carry dead weight on the roster in the middle of the season -- but we don't want to cut you, so we're just going to put you on IR, Okay?
Harper: I think it's broken!!
Payton: That's perfect. Mickey, did we get that on tape?
Loomis: Got it.
Payton: Excellent...get my chopper ready.

At the beginning of the season he was doing either PR or KR, but was removed for running "tenatively and for a loss of yards".

Meachem never ran any kickoff for negative yardage, and actually had a very good average, something around 25 yards per return.

No reason to shed any tears on Harper. He'll get his chance to prove himself next year. He wasn't going to replace Reggie at PR anyways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom