- Jan 20, 2020
- Reaction score
- Formally Texas
Start from the top.
The Saints didn't play their best. Malcolm Jenkins made a lot of mistakes. The defense didn't adjust to the TE dominating. Brees certainly missed much more than we're used to, but he wasn't awful. Cam Jordan played fine. Sanders choked.Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.
No, Brees did not play well, but through all that he was 26 for 38, even with a bunch of drops, and his best WR was....Tre'Quan Smith. This was like 2006 but no Colston.
Last SEVEN drives for the Raiders:
11 plays, 63 yards, TD
10 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 31 yards, FG
9 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 47 yards, gift fumble, and they're scoring again if he doesn't.
10 plays, 89 yards, TD
cut the lead to 7
7 plays, 46 yards, FG
You know who's completely disappeared the first two games and looks washed up? Cam Jordan.
We can still win with Brees as QB, even with a half-decent defense. Our D was 14th each of the last two years and we were 26-6. He just can no longer carry a bad one.
Yes, Brees is much older and might be closer to done that we (and he) thought. But that was clickbait.
Agree with most of your points. Two things that jumped out I wanted to nit-pick.Hard to argue with any of it. These are merely my observations from last night:
1. Brees looks...well old. He just doesn't look comfortable and I haven't seen his passes this off since 2006 preseason. When he drops back there is no longer the fear of the quick strike or perfectly timed bomb. Last night his eyes look like wide eye and confused like he was a rookie. I don't know...maybe he just needs some more reps or better play calling.
2. Kamara is great inside the 20 as he always has as nose for the endzone. Don't get me wrong, his runs last night have looked better than his last few games, as a matter of fact - why did he only have 16 rushes when averaging 6+ a carry? Regardless, I just wish when he ran a sweep that he would still look for that immediate north/south cutback like he did in his rookie season. That is what took defenders off guard and made him so dangerous. Now he just strings it out all the way to the sideline until he runs out of bounds for no gain.
3. TQS finally showed some flashes. He looks really good after the catch and seems hard to take down.
4. Where was Jared Cook last night?
5. Why did Murray only have 3 rushes?
6. Why did Taysom only have 2 touches?
No on to the defense...
7. Cam Jordan...his pass rush looks predictable now. He just angles this wide arcing sweep to try to run around his lineman...and rarely does. Which means that he never even sniffs the QB.
8. Speaking of pass rushing...it is an embarrassment that the Raiders were missing several starters on their line yet Carr still threw for 300 yards.
9. Speaking of embarrassment, Malcolm Jenkins...where to start. Got burned repeatedly...got trucked...just looked old and slow. When you are outspoken and take on your team leader...you better be someone who can back it up on the field. I hope he wasn't a waste of money.
And now coaching..
10. Payton - got outcoached again. For once his opening scripted plays looked good and then the rest of the game plan tanked. I don't know where the halftime adjustments were but he looked as bad as the rest of his team. Seems like when there is hype for the other team the team takes it personal and plays well (e.g. Bucs last week.) But when they are 'expected' to win...it seems like they come out and just go through the motions expecting someone to hand them the win.
11. Dennis Allen - I am a fan of Allen but man...how many times does Waller have to catch the ball before you decide to double cover him? The defense was reeling from about the 2nd quarter on and they never recovered. One of the worst games I have seen from him.
And finally officiating...
12. This by no means changed the outcome of the game because the Saints got beat in every area and they deserved to lose. But I am so tired of ticky-tacky calls that sustain drives for the opposing team. Maybe we are just badly coached on defense but it is so frustrating. At one point it was 3rd down, Drew went to throw a pass...a flag came out for holding on Murray (we never go to see the replay), the pass was incomplete so penalty was declined anyway. But if that had been a first down then it would've come back as well. It was almost like...hey let's throw a flag "Just in case." The 'blindside' block was ridiculous and there were about 2 PI calls that I disagreed with. One rule change I would like to see - if the defender and the receiver are BOTH hand-checking down the field...then no flag...unless the defender's final action was a direct reason that the receiver couldn't catch the ball. They said he hooked his arm...but he would've never caught that ball anyway and "hook" was a bit of an overstatement.
I turned the game off with 7 mins left because I was so disgusted. The only bright side is that they seem to start off every season like this and somehow get it together. Let's hope that is the case or otherwise it will be a loooong season.
|Thread starter||Similar threads||Forum||Replies||Date|
|Walker: Trey Hendrickson's breakout season one of Saints' most pleasant surprises thus far||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Walker: As COVID issues rise, time for NFL to come up with contingency plan to get to season's end||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Walker: Saints put pressure on LaToya Cantrell with talks of playing at LSU's Tiger Stadium||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Walker: It wasn't pretty, but Saints survive Chargers, head into much-needed bye week||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Walker: Drew Brees looks to stay perfect against Chargers team that drafted him in 2001||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Saints Bye Comes Right on Time||SR News Page Articles||0|
|Sean Payton sends right message with Michael Thomas fine||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|LaToya Cantrell says Saints' idea to play at Tiger Stadium is 'a good solution for right now'||Saints RSS News Feeds||0|
|Saints Lets be honest right?||Saints Super Forum (Main Board)||54|
|What needs to get right?||Saints Super Forum (Main Board)||57|