Rod Walker is right in his article. (1 Viewer)

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

No, Brees did not play well, but through all that he was 26 for 38, even with a bunch of drops, and his best WR was....Tre'Quan Smith. This was like 2006 but no Colston.

Last SEVEN drives for the Raiders:

11 plays, 63 yards, TD
10 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 31 yards, FG
9 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 47 yards, gift fumble, and they're scoring again if he doesn't.
10 plays, 89 yards, TD

cut the lead to 7

7 plays, 46 yards, FG

You know who's completely disappeared the first two games and looks washed up? Cam Jordan.

We can still win with Brees as QB, even with a half-decent defense. Our D was 14th each of the last two years and we were 26-6. He just can no longer carry a bad one.

Yes, Brees is much older and might be closer to done that we (and he) thought. But that was clickbait.

If we try to man up versus Devante Adams then we are toast. And they have a bunch of other capable receivers and TEs to worry about. And Aaron Jones. Dennis Allen needs to get away from man defense. Not many teams are that good to predominantly play man. Even Gilmore was beat by the Seahawks for a bomb last Sunday.

Hard to argue. Green Bay is about to kick our butts. This one might be embarrassing.
I’m not sure. We’re good on the outside and good against the run. They don’t have a waller or great slot wr to give us fits

I think people are reaching. Brees wasn't perfect but as I stated before he doesn't look comfortable with his line yet. Maybe it's happy feet but our offensive line needs work and teams will continue to blitz us and rattle him, especially after last night. Brees even admitted it himself "he threw it earlier than he'd like" - it's his Line...not father time.

Was a pretty deep WR draft and we didn't draft one. If nobody else steps up during MT absence thats a big yikes from the F.O.

Hard to argue with any of it. These are merely my observations from last night:

1. Brees looks...well old. He just doesn't look comfortable and I haven't seen his passes this off since 2006 preseason. When he drops back there is no longer the fear of the quick strike or perfectly timed bomb. Last night his eyes look like wide eye and confused like he was a rookie. I don't know...maybe he just needs some more reps or better play calling.

2. Kamara is great inside the 20 as he always has as nose for the endzone. Don't get me wrong, his runs last night have looked better than his last few games, as a matter of fact - why did he only have 16 rushes when averaging 6+ a carry? Regardless, I just wish when he ran a sweep that he would still look for that immediate north/south cutback like he did in his rookie season. That is what took defenders off guard and made him so dangerous. Now he just strings it out all the way to the sideline until he runs out of bounds for no gain.

3. TQS finally showed some flashes. He looks really good after the catch and seems hard to take down.

4. Where was Jared Cook last night?

5. Why did Murray only have 3 rushes?

6. Why did Taysom only have 2 touches?

No on to the defense...

7. Cam Jordan...his pass rush looks predictable now. He just angles this wide arcing sweep to try to run around his lineman...and rarely does. Which means that he never even sniffs the QB.

8. Speaking of pass rushing...it is an embarrassment that the Raiders were missing several starters on their line yet Carr still threw for 300 yards.

9. Speaking of embarrassment, Malcolm Jenkins...where to start. Got burned repeatedly...got trucked...just looked old and slow. When you are outspoken and take on your team leader...you better be someone who can back it up on the field. I hope he wasn't a waste of money.

And now coaching..

10. Payton - got outcoached again. For once his opening scripted plays looked good and then the rest of the game plan tanked. I don't know where the halftime adjustments were but he looked as bad as the rest of his team. Seems like when there is hype for the other team the team takes it personal and plays well (e.g. Bucs last week.) But when they are 'expected' to win...it seems like they come out and just go through the motions expecting someone to hand them the win.

11. Dennis Allen - I am a fan of Allen but man...how many times does Waller have to catch the ball before you decide to double cover him? The defense was reeling from about the 2nd quarter on and they never recovered. One of the worst games I have seen from him.

And finally officiating...

12. This by no means changed the outcome of the game because the Saints got beat in every area and they deserved to lose. But I am so tired of ticky-tacky calls that sustain drives for the opposing team. Maybe we are just badly coached on defense but it is so frustrating. At one point it was 3rd down, Drew went to throw a pass...a flag came out for holding on Murray (we never go to see the replay), the pass was incomplete so penalty was declined anyway. But if that had been a first down then it would've come back as well. It was almost like...hey let's throw a flag "Just in case." The 'blindside' block was ridiculous and there were about 2 PI calls that I disagreed with. One rule change I would like to see - if the defender and the receiver are BOTH hand-checking down the field...then no flag...unless the defender's final action was a direct reason that the receiver couldn't catch the ball. They said he hooked his arm...but he would've never caught that ball anyway and "hook" was a bit of an overstatement.

I turned the game off with 7 mins left because I was so disgusted. The only bright side is that they seem to start off every season like this and somehow get it together. Let's hope that is the case or otherwise it will be a loooong season.

If Emmanuel Sanders is struggling to pick the offense up, is a rookie supposed to grasp it in time to be useful?
I don't think he's struggling. I think it's more so about Brees being comfortable enough to throw to him.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

No, Brees did not play well, but through all that he was 26 for 38, even with a bunch of drops, and his best WR was....Tre'Quan Smith. This was like 2006 but no Colston.

Last SEVEN drives for the Raiders:

11 plays, 63 yards, TD
10 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 31 yards, FG
9 plays, 75 yards, TD
8 plays, 47 yards, gift fumble, and they're scoring again if he doesn't.
10 plays, 89 yards, TD

cut the lead to 7

7 plays, 46 yards, FG

You know who's completely disappeared the first two games and looks washed up? Cam Jordan.

We can still win with Brees as QB, even with a half-decent defense. Our D was 14th each of the last two years and we were 26-6. He just can no longer carry a bad one.

Yes, Brees is much older and might be closer to done that we (and he) thought. But that was clickbait.
The Saints didn't play their best. Malcolm Jenkins made a lot of mistakes. The defense didn't adjust to the TE dominating. Brees certainly missed much more than we're used to, but he wasn't awful. Cam Jordan played fine. Sanders choked.

Despite all of that, the Saints would've won had the game been called fairly. The Raiders' drives were being sustained by bad PI calls. Sanders got a terrible illegal blocking call against him that killed a crucial drive. The Raiders had 13 yards in penalties to the Saints about 130 yards. The Raiders didn't play that much cleaner than the Saints, but the referees were much more willing to call out the Saints.

Hard to argue with any of it. These are merely my observations from last night:

1. Brees looks...well old. He just doesn't look comfortable and I haven't seen his passes this off since 2006 preseason. When he drops back there is no longer the fear of the quick strike or perfectly timed bomb. Last night his eyes look like wide eye and confused like he was a rookie. I don't know...maybe he just needs some more reps or better play calling.

2. Kamara is great inside the 20 as he always has as nose for the endzone. Don't get me wrong, his runs last night have looked better than his last few games, as a matter of fact - why did he only have 16 rushes when averaging 6+ a carry? Regardless, I just wish when he ran a sweep that he would still look for that immediate north/south cutback like he did in his rookie season. That is what took defenders off guard and made him so dangerous. Now he just strings it out all the way to the sideline until he runs out of bounds for no gain.

3. TQS finally showed some flashes. He looks really good after the catch and seems hard to take down.

4. Where was Jared Cook last night?

5. Why did Murray only have 3 rushes?

6. Why did Taysom only have 2 touches?

No on to the defense...

7. Cam Jordan...his pass rush looks predictable now. He just angles this wide arcing sweep to try to run around his lineman...and rarely does. Which means that he never even sniffs the QB.

8. Speaking of pass rushing...it is an embarrassment that the Raiders were missing several starters on their line yet Carr still threw for 300 yards.

9. Speaking of embarrassment, Malcolm Jenkins...where to start. Got burned repeatedly...got trucked...just looked old and slow. When you are outspoken and take on your team leader...you better be someone who can back it up on the field. I hope he wasn't a waste of money.

And now coaching..

10. Payton - got outcoached again. For once his opening scripted plays looked good and then the rest of the game plan tanked. I don't know where the halftime adjustments were but he looked as bad as the rest of his team. Seems like when there is hype for the other team the team takes it personal and plays well (e.g. Bucs last week.) But when they are 'expected' to win...it seems like they come out and just go through the motions expecting someone to hand them the win.

11. Dennis Allen - I am a fan of Allen but man...how many times does Waller have to catch the ball before you decide to double cover him? The defense was reeling from about the 2nd quarter on and they never recovered. One of the worst games I have seen from him.

And finally officiating...

12. This by no means changed the outcome of the game because the Saints got beat in every area and they deserved to lose. But I am so tired of ticky-tacky calls that sustain drives for the opposing team. Maybe we are just badly coached on defense but it is so frustrating. At one point it was 3rd down, Drew went to throw a pass...a flag came out for holding on Murray (we never go to see the replay), the pass was incomplete so penalty was declined anyway. But if that had been a first down then it would've come back as well. It was almost like...hey let's throw a flag "Just in case." The 'blindside' block was ridiculous and there were about 2 PI calls that I disagreed with. One rule change I would like to see - if the defender and the receiver are BOTH hand-checking down the field...then no flag...unless the defender's final action was a direct reason that the receiver couldn't catch the ball. They said he hooked his arm...but he would've never caught that ball anyway and "hook" was a bit of an overstatement.

I turned the game off with 7 mins left because I was so disgusted. The only bright side is that they seem to start off every season like this and somehow get it together. Let's hope that is the case or otherwise it will be a loooong season.

Agree with most of your points. Two things that jumped out I wanted to nit-pick.

10. I don't think Payton's game plan on offense was that bad. They attacked short to take what the defense gave them. The Brees INT wasn't on him at all. The Penalty stalled drive wasn't on his plan either. I will ultimately put that many penalties on the coach at some point though. Outside of that, every other drive was a scoring drive except one (the last drive doesn't count).

12. I absolutely hate the PI penalty and there were some rough ones on us. That Jenkins one near the end was pretty clear though. He was perfectly fine then he grabbed the guys arm right at the end. They are going to call that. That blindside block though, ridiculous. They do that every year with new penalties. They over call them to make some stupid point. Saw it in other games too. That is one that shouldn't be called by the rule though. Forcible contact is part of the rule description. That was not forcible. The point of the rule is guys who get smacked without seeing it coming. He played it right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom