Rodgers' Press Conference - The Rest Of The Story (1 Viewer)

Ice Bowl

Not that kinda liberal
Reaction score
I'm usually not someone who's going to rush to Aaron Rodgers' defense, because frankly he's not the easiest guy to stick up for. He's a little too abrasive for my tastes. It's not that he's a bad guy - he really isn't; he's actually a hell of a good man - he's just the kind of guy who doesn't care how he comes across and couldn't care less whether people outside the team like him or not. I mean, how many NFL quarterbacks are going to openly acknowledge that their favorite movie is "The Princess Bride?"

The thing about people who don't care whether other people like them is, people often don't like them. So if he doesn't care whether people like him or not, I'm not going to worry about it very much myself. But at the same time, considering how many people seem to be offended by his press conference last night, I think it's appropriate to share a little of the backstory, and shed some light on what it was that really triggered his remarks about the offseason workouts.

One thing that bothers Rodgers more than anything is having his leadership abilities questioned. His first 3 years with Green Bay, he had to endure open hostility and disrespect from the man he looked up to, Brett Favre. When he replaced Favre, he took a great deal of abuse from a huge number of Packer fans, even to the point of seeing some pretty disgusting graffiti on the sidewalks in front of his house. The man developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and he's the first to admit it. He basically had to learn not only how not to care whether other people liked him, but how to use it a motivational tool. As unhealthy as it may seem to you and me, he seems practically addicted to proving his critics wrong - especially his critics in the press. He is no fan of the media, by any stretch of the imagination.

In April, just a few days after the draft, Rodgers organized a team workout program in San Diego for the offensive players. The veterans paid for the airfare and hotels for the rookies, and the plan was that they would use the time to simulate team OTAs - pretty similar to what the Saints did, and in fact he probably stole the idea from Drew.

Shortly thereafter, McCarthy made it known during a press conference that he didn't want the team doing that, and that was the end of the informal workouts. But a few weeks later, as Brees started getting more and more press for the workouts that he'd organized, some of the local papers (in both Geen Bay and Milwaukee) started criticizing Rodgers for not doing the same thing, questioning both his leadership and the motivation of the team as a whole.

That's what Rodgers was reacting to last night. It was the media he was ridiculing, not Brees or the Saints. Rodgers has made it plain a number of times that of all the quarterbacks in the league, Brees is probably the one he looks up to and admires the most, and (at least in the first couple of years of his career) tried to model himself after. If you know anything about Rodgers, the idea that he would be deliberately disrespectful to Drew Brees is almost inconceivable.

Should he have known that some people would take what he said as a slam against the Saints? Maybe. Most people probably would have thought about that, but I doubt that he did, because he just doesn't think like that. For better or worse, he says what's on his mind, and doesn't worry about how other people are going to take it. He doesn't say the things he's "supposed" to say just for the sake of saying the right thing. I know that rubs some people the wrong way, and if it offends you guys, I guess I can't blame you. But if you think it means he doesn't respect the Saints, or that he doesn't admire or respect Brees, you've got it wrong. There are a lot of legitimate reasons to not like Aaron Rodgers, but don't let that be one of them.

I understand the media had Something to do with it. Honestly man, we just all have a bad taste in our mouth do to the loss. I think that what made a lot of us angry is that our offense out produced yours in everything but points, which is unfortunately all that matters. As I told my other packers friend, we'll see y'all again I'm sure. Both teams were impressive on O and shaky on defense, that might have more to do with the two best QB's in the NFC being displayed last night so who knows really.

Inciteful post. Really is. But one thing that cannot be ignored is that he still does the following:
Aaron-Rodgers-belt.jpg

Good post. I apologize for wishing Rodgers injuries. Just seeing his smug face after that loss (plus I was drunk) had be heated up in here.

The man developed a bit of a chip on his shoulder

I understand what you're saying, and I have nothing against the guy; however, many people, and players have had something to cause them to have a chip on their shoulder at some point...like Brees.. but how you handle it is key. I am sure Rogers is a good guy, but IMO he is not near the leader that Brees is, both on, and especially off the field.

The belt thing is not really any different than holding your finger up proclaiming I'm or we're #1. Peformance is what matters, not gestures that follow. Maybe he really wanted to be a Rassler in his childhood?

I understand the media had Something to do with it. Honestly man, we just all have a bad taste in our mouth do to the loss.

Yeah, I know. And I don't blame you; if the tables were turned, I'd probably be taking it a lot harder than y'all are. I'm sure not trying to talk anyone out of hating on Rodgers or the Packers this week. It takes a while to get over a loss like that. I just don't want people to feel as though they're being disrespected. Losing is bad enough, and there's nothing that can make that better, but there's no point in making it any worse than it has to be.

Alternatively, he's just an arrogant little ****. Sure, he's earned the right to act that way if he wants to. Don't expect other teams to respect him for it though.

I understand what you're saying, and I have nothing against the guy; however, many people, and players have had something to cause them to have a chip on their shoulder at some point...like Brees.. but how you handle it is key. I am sure Rogers is a good guy, but IMO he is not near the leader that Brees is, both on, and especially off the field.

I hadn't thought very much about that, but I have to agree. Rodgers is not there yet, and I honestly don't know if he ever will be. Or even can be. There are aspects of his leadership style that I find very disappointing, and while I think he is capable of growing into a better leader, I'm not sure he has it in him to grown into a truly great leader. We shall see.

Yeah, I know. And I don't blame you; if the tables were turned, I'd probably be taking it a lot harder than y'all are. I'm sure not trying to talk anyone out of hating on Rodgers or the Packers this week. It takes a while to get over a loss like that. I just don't want people to feel as though they're being disrespected. Losing is bad enough, and there's nothing that can make that better, but there's no point in making it any worse than it has to be.

I got no hate for the Packers at all - classy team/coach, classy fans
you're good people ice bowl
and if it were me i'd be finding all kinds of ways to see my QB in a good light (and you realize that saints fans have had to do that a LOT in our history - you should have listened to my logic contortions when aaron brooks was qb)
BUT your QB and CB are tools
Rodgers is now just above ryan and romo on my xmas card list

I know I posted that thread the other night about Rodgers "disrespek" but I honestly like the guy. I figured out yesterday late, after the post, that it was a retort against the media. I like his swagger and confidence and he's on two of my fantasy teams so I'm cheering for him, except for last night and when we meet again.

I have nothin against him. People who took that press conference serious are just sensitive, emotional, and should be ignored.

Thx for the post, but it wasn't necessary. Rodgers goal is to win football games, everything else is secondary. Some Saints fans tend to think that everyone should be like Brees and have his personality. I've even heard them criticize Lance Moore for his touchdown celebrations. There is a thread on here now about Graham's celebration also. You should have seen the reaction to when Shockey came. They want every player to celebrate like Colston when he scores.

And the end of the day, wins and losses is all that matters and everything else is just there to fill in the gaps.

Rodgers is a great QB, one of the best in the NFL. I'd put him right up there with Brees, Brady, and Manning. But the comments in the interview did not make him look like a class act. Even if he was taking a shot at the media and not the Saints, it was still unnecessary and immature. Nobody had even asked him about the workouts, he felt the need to bring it up in a sarcastic manner multiple times. Hard to imagine a guy like Brees acting so petty. Not that I think Rodgers is a bad guy, he's just a little bit too cocky to be likeable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom