Roku and direct tv (1 Viewer)

FLEA

Livin' the dream
Reaction score
I cut the cord a few years ago and am now a Roku/PlayStation Vue user. I noticed on a few certain channels that it requires a cable or satellite provider to receive. I have neither but do have access to my brothers Direct TV account. Is it possible to use this account info to get local channels on ROKU without actually being connected to cable or satellite and if so is there a trick to doing it?

i can use my DIRECTV NOW account to access most of those channels, i'm assuming you could use your playstation vue account? you could use your brothers account you would just need his login info for directv

So, we are thinking of getting rid of Directv. I am not a techy sort of person. If we cancel DTV, then we use our smart TV to stream the things we did on DTV? I've looked at link from above and it shows that HULU does provide the local channels in our area. Also, the 60 FPS alters the number of channels we receive? Is that right and what does that mean? Thanks in advance for any help.

I cut the cord a few years ago and am now a Roku/PlayStation Vue user. I noticed on a few certain channels that it requires a cable or satellite provider to receive. I have neither but do have access to my brothers Direct TV account. Is it possible to use this account info to get local channels on ROKU without actually being connected to cable or satellite and if so is there a trick to doing it?
You should be able to use your PSVue account to view those stations. I've done it many of times, particular with stations like CNN and ESPN. IIRC, all you need to do is select the "I don't see my provider" option and it should bring up more choices for you to select PlayStation.

Cut the cord (satellite feed) this weekend and although I'm on the Northshore, with an antenna I get good reception and went with the HD Homerun for DVR the local channels. For access to other channels, I went with HULU which gives me a login account to most all providers

anyone use Youtube tv? 40 a month...
I'm about to drop comcast for it. Two of my boxes can't handle h.264 which is what CBS was broadcasting for today's game. One television is so old that it uses DVI so it'll be replaced with a tv that has a roku built in and the other will get a roku. My other displays have nvidia shield tv boxes which are great but too much for tertiary displays. I tried YouTube tv on a trial a few months ago and liked it but there was a problem. My now ex-wife was too lazy/stupid to turn off the service when she was done watching. She thought that since the magic picture box was off then everything else was off too. Our internet was limited to 1 terabyte per month and we'd eat that up in no time and I'd pay a penalty every month. Now it's just me and I work a lot. YouTube tv is perfect for my needs because I can take it with me on my phone.

I'm about to drop comcast for it. Two of my boxes can't handle h.264 which is what CBS was broadcasting for today's game. One television is so old that it uses DVI so it'll be replaced with a tv that has a roku built in and the other will get a roku. My other displays have nvidia shield tv boxes which are great but too much for tertiary displays. I tried YouTube tv on a trial a few months ago and liked it but there was a problem. My now ex-wife was too lazy/stupid to turn off the service when she was done watching. She thought that since the magic picture box was off then everything else was off too. Our internet was limited to 1 terabyte per month and we'd eat that up in no time and I'd pay a penalty every month. Now it's just me and I work a lot. YouTube tv is perfect for my needs because I can take it with me on my phone.
Just got a Roku tv last week---love it so far

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom