Roku or Amazon Fire.... (1 Viewer)

Ok, my bandwidth usage has doubled since installing the FireStick. Does it continue streaming even after I turn it off with the remote? I always make it a point to return it to the "home" page before powering it off, but not sure if that means anything. I know my usage hasn't doubled. Maybe I need to unplug it for a day and see if the data usage goes down.
I think they still communicate but it shouldn't be heavy data. You can install Wireshark on a computer on the network and identify the MAC address that is doing the hogging. You can also see what the Firestick is doing when you have it paused. There is a bit of a learning curve but its free and there is a ton of info on how to do whatever you want. Its an advanced program that I only know how to do a handful of things on. I went through this a few years ago and the ISP is useless when it comes to identifying the culprit. You either need a router with good software or something like Wireshark. If Nighthawk is your router, I hope you have better luck than I did.

I think they still communicate but it shouldn't be heavy data. You can install Wireshark on a computer on the network and identify the MAC address that is doing the hogging. You can also see what the Firestick is doing when you have it paused. There is a bit of a learning curve but its free and there is a ton of info on how to do whatever you want. Its an advanced program that I only know how to do a handful of things on. I went through this a few years ago and the ISP is useless when it comes to identifying the culprit. You either need a router with good software or something like Wireshark. If Nighthawk is your router, I hope you have better luck than I did.
Thanks, I'll take a look at Wireshark.

Thanks, I'll take a look at Wireshark.
Also look into what streaming quality you have your services set at. If a new device changes it because it has higher capacity or it got changed some other way, that’s your likely culprit. But if you are looking at a usage report and you see a particular device hogging, then you can just turn that internal IP address off in your router and you will find out pretty quickly what that device was.

Also look into what streaming quality you have your services set at. If a new device changes it because it has higher capacity or it got changed some other way, that’s your likely culprit. But if you are looking at a usage report and you see a particular device hogging, then you can just turn that internal IP address off in your router and you will find out pretty quickly what that device was.
I'm pretty sure the hog is the Firestick. I back tracked my usage to the day I installed it....up until then I averaged less than 10G per day, starting the day I installed it, I haven't been below 16G in a 24 hour period. I changed my video resolution in the FireStick from Auto to 1080, I'll check that for a few days and see if there is a difference. I'm also going to do some other things like spend an entire 24 hour period without using the FireStick and compare all of the data.

I'm pretty sure the hog is the Firestick. I back tracked my usage to the day I installed it....up until then I averaged less than 10G per day, starting the day I installed it, I haven't been below 16G in a 24 hour period. I changed my video resolution in the FireStick from Auto to 1080, I'll check that for a few days and see if there is a difference. I'm also going to do some other things like spend an entire 24 hour period without using the FireStick and compare all of the data.
You are better off than I was if you have a clue. Nothing had changed and yet Cox was saying I had data flying out the window. Hope it’s an easy fix for you.

Ok, almost an entire week of experimentation and this is what I've got....Using the setup I mentioned above with the FireStick getting it's power from the TV instead of an outlet....I stopped using the Firestick and used the TV's wifi (which is fine in the living room, spotty in the bedroom), my data usage returned to what it used to be, around 7G per day. Then, in one 24 hour period, I used the FireStick, and data usage went up to 12G. It's a bandwidth hog when in use and apparently when the TV is off as well unless you remove the power from it. I only have the FireStick in the bedroom because of the excellent connectivity, so that is fine usage for me. As long as I average about 10G per day, I'm fine for the month's allotment.

What do you guys know about a app or something called CableKillerz? A co-worker told me about it and they only pay $33 per month but get everything? To me it sounds like a scam but I do not know. Really do not want to touch it at all.

AP

What do you guys know about a app or something called CableKillerz? A co-worker told me about it and they only pay $33 per month but get everything? To me it sounds like a scam but I do not know. Really do not want to touch it at all.

AP
without looking it up, it sounds like an IPTV service. They are hit or miss. I have been using one for the last 4 years. The term everything is pretty accurate, as i get channels for all over the world. The first one i used wasn't too good, the second one i used closed up suddenly and the one i use now has been pretty steady. Although it isn't 100% reliable, its mostly reliable. I pay $20 a month. some things to consider, they usually need to be updated regularly, which means you need to somewhat know how to install the apps without going through the appstores. second, make sure you don't buy a whole year or 6 month plans, because if they close down, you lose the money, I usually do the 3 month plan. third, make sure they take Paypal, i wouldn't be keen on giving these type of services my credit card info.

Edit: Just so you know, these are one of those legal grey area things. As i understand it, its illegal for them to operate, but it is legal for you to stream the service, as long as you do not download any content.

AP
Just a quick google on them, they look like they aren't open for business atm. I would do a lot of research before using anything outside of mainstream streaming.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom