Roman Harper was our Defensive MVP? (1 Viewer)

SebaSaint

Indonesian Coon***
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For some of the talk bashing Harper last year, the guy made:

90 tackles, second on the team
4 sacks, second on the team
3 interceptions, tied first on the team (McKenzie and J. David)
1 touchdown.

I think overall he was our defensive MVP and I think he'll get better.

I love Roman Harper and I don't know where all the talk about him was coming from

I thought he played pretty well, I really like Roman and think he's gonna do fine this season.
Its having BULLOCKS :covri: as a starting FS that worries me.

I like Roman, but the MVP of our defense was definitely MMK. Shutdown corner pretty much the whole year.

He was caught out of position last year, as was the case with Bullocks. What many don't understand is that many times it was because the front seven (mostly Simenau) wasn't getting it done so they had to watch his back. With a solid front seven both would produce at their position, and most probably shine. Harper showed a lot of promise his rookie year.

did our defense actually have an mvp?

seriously, i think harper has some good potential

Good, well thought, knowledgeable post. Roman Harper is in the Pro Bowl next year. Our DBs were left on the island alone cause we applied no pressure to QBs. Put Harper on the Giants and he's talked about like Bob Sanders.

Remember the hit Roman put on Hasselbeck? beast

I gotta agree with JOElittleBIGhorn tho, Predator was our Defensive MVP.

He was caught out of position last year, as was the case with Bullocks. What many don't understand is that many times it was because the front seven (mostly Simenau) wasn't getting it done so they had to watch his back. With a solid front seven and both would produce at their position, and most probably shine. Harper showed a lot of promise his rookie year.
I personally think Harper is a good player, and he will get better. But it is not a good thing, as you point out, when a safety is one of the leaders in tackles.

For some of the talk bashing Harper last year, the guy made:

90 tackles, second on the team
4 sacks, second on the team
3 interceptions, tied first on the team (McKenzie and J. David)
1 touchdown.

I think overall he was our defensive MVP and I think he'll get better.

Stats rarely tell the whole story. Harper did get lost in coverage on more than one occasion, but, overall, I really like the guy. I think he's one of the players that the team wants to build around. Roman's injury as a rookie probably set him back a bit, but I think those numbers do show that he has a knack for being around the ball and making plays.

Yes, I do think Roman is a good player who still has plenty of room to grow into something great. BUT....when your Safety has the second highest number of tackles....that just shows that our defense is absolutely horrible. I give him props on the sacks and INTs, but come on.....by his tackle number being so high that means the opposing team was getting PAST our DLine and PAST our LBs. NOT GOOD!!!!:angryrazz:

Sorry, but in my mind our MVP on D last year was MM.

McKenzie was the standout MVP to me. Harper was a close 2nd.

Fujita gets honorable mention.

Stats rarely tell the whole story. Harper did get lost in coverage on more than one occasion, but, overall, I really like the guy. I think he's one of the players that the team wants to build around. Roman's injury as a rookie probably set him back a bit, but I think those numbers do show that he has a knack for being around the ball and making plays.

Totally agree.

Because of the injury, this was basically his rookie year. And as the season went on, you'd notice more and more that Harper was ending up around the ball, making plays.

He did get lost in coverage from time to time, but based on his improvement late in the year, I think that's something we'll see less and less of.

MM did have a great year, nobody really threw it to his side but they didn't have to with J. David and Bullocks on the other side. He did shut down his side and made great plays, two touchdowns, 60+ tackles and 3 interceptions. But McKenzie wasn't this great in past years, and I kinda think that Harper is going to be consistently good year to year so if we're comparing, I say Harper is better than McKenzie as a total defensive player next year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom