Roman Harper was our Defensive MVP? (1 Viewer)

I think Harper will improve this year, being a year removed from his ACL tear. He's not the best in coverage, but he's a pretty stout tackler overall. Sure he goes for the big hit, but it's not like he's Roy Williams who can't do anything but go for the big hit.

Harper played well the final couple of games. Prior to that he was near horrible. Missing coverage assignments, missing tackles (has a horrible problem with putting his head down and throwing his body at a runner). Harper was one of the primary reasons we were so bad against the pass. However, I was impressed the final 2-3 games. He has talent, but needs to learn how to play the game.

He was average sometimes, bad other times. He was even benched at one point. You can't judge a Safety by stats. Fred Thomas in 2005 had 80 tackles, 3 sacks, and 2 picks. Was he our Defensive MVP?

It only speaks to how much the talent around him is lacking.

You can't say a guy blew a coverage assignment as a safety, unless you actually know what play was called.

You can't say a guy blew a coverage assignment as a safety, unless you actually know what play was called.

But we do know he was benched by the Coach who does know what his assignment was.

+1 vote for MM being our MVP, by a mile. Without him no team would even need to run on us, they could just pass all over the field. And have plenty of time to do it to as our primadonna DEs were no help.

We seemed to have a kind of "perfect storm" of awfulness in the pass defense last year. We got no pressure up front so the QBs had all day, the coaches must have told the team to watch the run because everyone would bite on the most obvious play fake, Jason David couldn't get his head out of the cover 2, Bullocks looked like a little lost boy most of the time.. You just kind of think it can't be that bad again..

I think Harper is good, though. He has the tools and he's learning.

But we do know he was benched by the Coach who does know what his assignment was.

Which was mentally challenged when you have a CB getting beat on 85% of the plays to his side of the field and he stays out there? The issues was simple Roman was trying to do too much because the lack of talent on that side of the ball so yeah; he got caught a few times.

Everyone does.

Harper played well the final couple of games. Prior to that he was near horrible. Missing coverage assignments, missing tackles (has a horrible problem with putting his head down and throwing his body at a runner). Harper was one of the primary reasons we were so bad against the pass. However, I was impressed the final 2-3 games. He has talent, but needs to learn how to play the game.

Roman was not one of the primary reasons the pass D was that bad so stop it. That would fall on your D-line then your CB. Roman would be last on the list of those responsible. You take one missed tackle and come to the conclusion that he can’t play, I'm glad you don't work for the Saints. Roman is a tackling machine, second best on the team behind Fujita. I think he knows how to play the game; he can cover and hit just what you need in a safety. Like I said when he doesn't have to defend the entire secondary himself, Roman will be a Pro-Bowler.

Write it down.

I really like Roman Harper. He will eventually settle into a very good player, but he's limited talent wise. He'll never be great, I think he can be a slightly better version of what Sammy Knight used to be...and I agree thats a great thing !!!!

I'm still holding my breath on Bullocks, I really think he's got the capability to be a GREAT safety...I think he's been exposed by some really terrible corner play on the parts of Thomas and David. Remember in a man/man scheme a FS is basically asked to be a corner in many situations. There maybe be 2-3 safeties in the league who can line up and really play solid man/man. Bullocks will learn, but in a man/man scheme safeties will never look great. If we ran some man 2 over then thats a different story, but if we get agressive and blitz in a full man/man it's a tough position to play.

When Harper is used properly, he is a good SS. He covers the TE well. He struggled some in deep coverage, but many SS do. Keep in mind his health, after coming back from an ACL, which takes some 2 years to be back to full speed. Also that was pretty much his rookie season last year. With another season to gain experience and get fully healthy, I expect him to do pretty well in 08.

I think the fact that we get to see this guy play every Sunday make its tough to give him props...he is a good young safety, he had a great year statistically, but there are always those images of his mistakes, which makes it tough to say he is in the same mold as (insert pro bowl player) because we seen him miss a tackle and get beat...we havent seen (insert pro bowl player) 16 games so we dont see there mistakes, we just know they made pro bowls.....i'm sure there are some fans who questions Troy P, Ed Reed, D. Sharper on there respective team forums and i'm sure there are some fans out there who cant wait for Harper to become a free agent, or making up trade scenerio's to get him (we do it on here) we undervalue our own guys because we think if there were as good as or had the potential to be as good as the Ed Reeds, Troy P and D. Sharpers of this league they wouldnt get beat, woudlnt miss a tackle etc.....but everybody give up a play or two, even the great one's.

Harper is gonna be a great Safety in my opinion, he's smart, solid tackler, seems to have a nose for the football.....he'll only get better.

IMO, MM was the MVP. Harper and Fooj are a close 2nd.

I LOVE Harper and have been a big supporter since his arrival (after following that great Bama D he was on). It's a bit frustrating to hear how he can't tackle all because of one specific play (I forgot which play) in which he DID blow it. The guy is a really good open field tackler otherwise and everyone blows a tackle from time to time. Overall, I think it's a bit misleading to judge him from this year because of the defensive problems and his injury recovery. This will be his year to show what he really has.

Like cdogg said, you have no idea about his assignment unless you know the specific play and his planned assignment.

Here's to an improved secondary.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom