Roman Harpers Year Will Be 2013 (1 Viewer)

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
Now that we are moving to a 3-4, and with a blitz happy DC like Rob Ryan that loves creating turnovers I see Harper having another great year like 2011 and 2009. I can see Ryan putting Harper in the box more often, and using his talents to good use. Also, didn't Payton say Harpers talent wasn't utilized right in Spags system?

If Harper starts getting a bigger presence in the box I can see him having a pretty solid season. I really enjoyed watching Harper pressuring the QB, and taking them down, but it seems as if nobody remembers those days? It seems as if everybody just remembers his coverage mistakes. Harper has talent without a doubt, but for some reason he is alot of Saints fans scapegoat for the failure the team has had. If it's not Smith, its Harper. Now I am not in denial that our secondary was out of sync last season, but without a doubt there were highlights, and everybody should have seen them.

No way Harpers skills went away that fast through one year. He went from 7.5 sacks to 0 in on year, so obvious he was not used right. I do not see him getting cut next season, unless Loomis is willing to risk such a huge cap hit. I am 90% sure his contract will only be restructured. What do all of you think?

P.S.
Please no simple minded, brainless, classless comments like "cut him" "He sucks" " Sam Bradford is faster then him" back up your words with facts, or if not just keep your mouth shut!

Pdlc

NOT A FANBOY
Reaction score
Now that we are moving to a 3-4, and with a blitz happy DC like Rob Ryan that loves creating turnovers I see Harper having another great year like 2011 and 2009. I can see Ryan putting Harper in the box more often, and using his talents to good use. Also, didn't Payton say Harpers talent wasn't utilized right in Spags system?

If Harper starts getting a bigger presence in the box I can see him having a pretty solid season. I really enjoyed watching Harper pressuring the QB, and taking them down, but it seems as if nobody remembers those days? It seems as if everybody just remembers his coverage mistakes. Harper has talent without a doubt, but for some reason he is alot of Saints fans scapegoat for the failure the team has had. If it's not Smith, its Harper. Now I am not in denial that our secondary was out of sync last season, but without a doubt there were highlights, and everybody should have seen them.

No way Harpers skills went away that fast through one year. He went from 7.5 sacks to 0 in on year, so obvious he was not used right. I do not see him getting cut next season, unless Loomis is willing to risk such a huge cap hit. I am 90% sure his contract will only be restructured. What do all of you think?

P.S.
Please no simple minded, brainless, classless comments like "cut him" "He sucks" " Sam Bradford is faster then him" back up your words with facts, or if not just keep your mouth shut!
-_-

Sent via Tapatalk

WhoDatElite

Veteran Starter
Reaction score

P.S.
I think Harper will still be with us and have a good year, but He won't be blitzing that much.

Ryan doesn't blitz as much as you think and when he does, he relies mainly on his linebackers.

OP

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
Today's NFL requires that both safeties have good coverage skills. He doesn't so any which way I don't see him being here this year.
Yes, of course but our safeties coverage skills are not as bad as all of you make it seem. As you can see from the super bowl where the safeties people in this forum loves from the 49ers did horrible with their d line not getting enough pressure in. Our safeties did decent jobs pre 2012. Obviously it had to do with the scheme. I ask you though? What makes you believe Loomis will cut him? You think we can take that cap hit? WHy not just restructure him? That is what will most likely happen, unless you want to still be broke, and without a safety this next season. Thinking we can just get a safety from the draft and be fine is naive. Before you know it you will be giving them death threats for bad play. Same goes for Bush are you willing to trust him as a full time starter? You think the coaches are willing to do that? I think not.

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
I feel like this has been said every year.

Sorry could not resist

<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H84nK2lSw7E?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>

OP

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
Harper also doesn't do a bad job at covering most TE's. Since Rob Ryan loves the zone blitz Harper will be put into coverage against TE's. I can see him doing a good job. The only TE's in this league I can see giving him a hard time are The Gronks and Davis. Since Gonzalez is gone from the division I can see success in this scheme.

OP

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H84nK2lSw7E?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H84nK2lSw7E?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
So what if he got caught up? Shall you sing the same song? He is a strong safety for christs sake? I believe what I am saying has been said enough times every year as well. Strong Safeties are not meant to be fast. It was a fumble recovery, and took it back? Should I show you the rest of the highlights from that year?

OP

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score

Sorry could not resist

<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/H84nK2lSw7E?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>
Since you got highlights I also got highlights

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ME6n3TvTHfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ME6n3TvTHfM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

State Of Affairs

BS & Beer Saints Talk on 97.7FM, Fox Sports Radio
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score

P.S.
So "cut him" is brainless but all the stuff you just posted is intelligent? You sound like a high school cheerleader talking about her boyfriend and anyone who doesn't agree is "classless".

Williams schemed Harper to success but a DB that can't cover or tackle but gets sacks is as useful as Tim Tebow at QB, runs for yards but can't throw... Smoke and mirrors only work so long, eventually you have to do your job cuz other teams will find you and expose you... How about you give me a guy to replace Harper and his overinflated contract with a DB that can cover and tackle and we'll leave the sacks to DL and LBs... I dont need Jarhi Evans catching TD passes or Cam Jordan getting interceptions or Harper sacking the QB...

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

P.S.
Harper is not a perfect fit for this scheme.

Harper is a fit as a SS in an attacking 4-3. Heres Why.

The easiest way to scheme to Harpers advantage is by using him in your base 4-3 as an in the box safety or covering a shallow zone. He isn't @ a disadvantage in your base set.

In the Nickel is where he becomes effective. You bring in an extra Safety (IAQ) and you move Harper to a LB/Rover role. The look probably a 3-3-5. With Harper being that OLB. Now you have your two cover safeties in Jenkins/IAQ over the top and you have Harper Blitzing for the extra speed off the edge.

Now lets take a look@ the 3-4. Could he play in the base defense. Sure...but your standard Nickel set is a 2-4-5. 2 down lineman 4 lbs 3cbs 2 safeties. Your two Safeties are your cover Safeties. Harper doesn't fit in either spot. You already have two OLB coming off the edge to make it a 4man rush so if your blitz comes its going to come from that Nickel DB role and Ryan doesn't have a strong history of blizting his Safeties. Harper doesn't fit anywhere in the 2-4-5.

Could he be used in sub-packages YES and could he be retained this year...YES.

However, is he the good fit that everyone is making hiim out to be NO. Same coaching tree......but two different schemes.

Harper@ SS will be expected to be in coverage just as much as Jenkins@FS.

Raise your hand if you trust Harper playing Center field in a cover 3... Thats a pass interference waiting to happen...especially if the ball goes over his head and he cant locate it.

Harper is the weakest link@ the moment in our current crop of SS...not because he isn't a better safety..but because he is the biggest liability in coverage of the 3. How valuable is a safety to us if he is a 2 down safety?

He also cost a lot...if he isn't restructured then hes either cut or traded if he has value. I think its a 50/50 tossup as to which will happen@ this point.

OP

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
So "cut him" is brainless but all the stuff you just posted is intelligent? You sound like a high school cheerleader talking about her boyfriend and anyone who doesn't agree is "classless".

Williams schemed Harper to success but a DB that can't cover or tackle but gets sacks is as useful as Tim Tebow at QB, runs for yards but can't throw... Smoke and mirrors only work so long work... How about you give me a guy to replace Harper and his overinflated contract with a DB that can cover and tackle and we'll leave the sacks to DL and LBs... I dont need Jarhi Evans catching TD passes or Cam Jordan getting interceptions or Harper sacking the QB...
So who is this safety you have in mind? The league is full of free agent safeties oh yeah plenty of them take your pick!

State Of Affairs

BS & Beer Saints Talk on 97.7FM, Fox Sports Radio
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
So who is this safety you have in mind? The league is full of free agent safeties oh yeah plenty of them take your pick!
No but you can find a guy that can't cover or tackle for a lot less then what Harper makes...

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
People love to harp on harper yet he's a 2 time pro bowler and puts up 90+ tackles seasons...had a 7.5 sack season and god knows how many stops in the backfield...no matter what does or how much he recognized by coaches and peers the fact he is not a 4.4 forty yard dasher makes people think he's expendable...but coaches (Payton) mentioned Harper as a player he felt was not being utilized to his strengths (along with Wilson and Galette) and why he wanted to 3-4 switch and went after a guy who knows how to utilize his talent on defense...essentially we got a Greg Williams who runs a 3-4 and players loved GW before all the bounty stuff came into play...Payton liked a pressure inducing defense and wanted that back.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Roman's biggest strike against him isn't his coverage skills, but his contract. He will need to take a substantial pay cut to remain with the team.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom