Romeo Crennel favorite for DC per Mortenson (1 Viewer)

If it is Crennel we will have a lot more work to do on defense since we have 1 gap personnel and he runs a 2 gap system. Any chance he adjusts to the 1 gap to fit our personnel?

I think hes flexible enough to adjust. I just don't like the idea of two gapping and basically making Cam Jordan a body guard. I think hes made enough plays for him to be considered more than just a two gap/protect the LB's DE.

WE shall see

and that's why I posted this info. Most people on this site are saying if it was going to be Romeo, we would have already hired him. Everyone is saying it's going to be a younger coach from the 49ers or Ravens assistants. If the info about Parcells recommending Romeo for the job is accurate then you can pretty much take it to the bank that is who Sean will hire.

Who is everyone outside of this board? The fact that someone is a defensive coach on either of those teams doesn't make them a guru. Those two teams have a lot of what we sorely lack....defensive talent.

I think hes flexible enough to adjust. I just don't like the idea of two gapping and basically making Cam Jordan a body guard. I think hes made enough plays for him to be considered more than just a two gap/protect the LB's DE.

WE shall see

Is that what happened to Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson?

I'd like to see us get Dorsey especially if we get Crennel.

I wonder if the top-notch free agents and veterans would be more attracted to a defense that's coached by Crennel because of his experience and past history than a defense coached by an up and comer.

I think if Payton was set on Romeo he would have already been hired. I think Payton and Loomis must want to at least interview someone on either the Ravens or 49ers staff

I think this is still the approach that is being taken by Payton and Loomis...they will interview all available candidates to see how they will be able to implement a defense to the strengths of the players on it....if it was Crennell we would of picked him up already we dont have alot of time to build a coaching staff on defense so we may really want to go through the process.

I wonder what Parcells really knows about the young up and coming coordinators? It's not like he's had hands on experiences with any of them.

I think this is still the approach that is being taken by Payton and Loomis...they will interview all available candidates to see how they will be able to implement a defense to the strengths of the players on it....if it was Crennell we would of picked him up already we dont have alot of time to build a coaching staff on defense so we may really want to go through the process.

my thoughts exactly! It's obviously a 49ers/Ravens coach or a college coach.

From what I have read the 1 gap is also much more effective against the read option plays. It just makes more sense for us to run it. I'd love to have Crennel but only if he decides to run the 1 gap system. Otherwise I'd like someone else.

If I had to bet on who it would be, I'd put my money on Tomsula or Donatell. If he goes college it will be Todd Grantham. Wednesday is National Signing Day...so I'd say by then we should know. I predict we know by Thursday. Btw...Todd Grantham is my personal favorite prospect, but I'd like either of the forty whiner coaches too.

Mortensen has been wrong so many times, i bet the only reason he is reported it is because Cremmel has been talked about so much on this site.

Or it's a smoke screen so that it looks like SP hasn't been talking to anyone until the SB was over. Now we all know here, SP is not dumb enough to let that position go unfilled and fire someone without KNOWING who his replacement would be. He only had a year to think about it, after all.

I'm tired of retreads. Though if we must retread, Crennel works for me. But I'm ready for a younger mind with something dynamic and fresh.

You'd have an argument if we were hiring a HC. But we're not. Crennel has already established himself as an elite 3-4 defensive mind. The fact that he's already had 2 chances to be a HC pretty much guarantees that, pending success with the Saints, he wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

I'd be very surprised if it's Crennel, given this:

Coaches contracts are usually guaranteed or at least include buyouts. It's expensive to fire a head coach and Chiefs owner Clark Hunt is finding that out.

Per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, Crennel will be paid $3.5 million in each of the next two years not to coach the Chiefs.

This report comes under the context of the Saints reportedly interested in Crennel. His contract is off set which means whatever the Saints pay him just reduces the number the Chiefs owe him. He wouldn't earn any more money to coach the Saints. The Chiefs' obligation to him could be lowered, so I'm sure they're rooting for him to take that job.

Romeo Crennel will earn $7 million not to coach the Chiefs - Arrowhead Pride

:idunno:

Did anybody asked Crennel if he wants the gig?

He is getting paid for 2 years, provided he stays unemployed. Why would he bury himself with a defensive overhaul, which has the dubious distinction of being the worse ever?

What if it doesn't work?......all he has to do is remember what happened to Spags, and see that failure in making the D better has certain drawbacks.....especially considering the short fuse of the Saints FO, who want to see results as soon as possible.

I don't think Crennel is interested right now in jumping back into coaching......I know I wouldn't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom