Ron Paul about to be tossed out of the House? (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Two weeks left and Chris Peden is claiming that he's currently winning the primary race against incumbent, Ron Paul (some of you may have heard of him).

http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=35a797ecc9cabe45

Nice to see that Ron Paul has stayed in touch with the issues concerning the district that sent him to Congress. "This is a federal judge, you say?" ROFL

He raised some money for his Presidential campaign - I bet he uses a big chunk of it in this Primary race.
Wonder what his supporters will say if he does that.

I think it would be illegal for him to take Presidential campaign money and use it for his congressional seat. He has already said he wouldn't do it, but he is a politician so who knows there are probably loopholes somewhere.

His opponent seems pretty wishy washy. The guy who praised Paul is now shooting shots at him. He also told Paul he would not run against him and switched his position on that, sounds like a backstabber to me. I suspect that the newspaper who reported this maybe in support of Peden.

An email I recieved today from Ron Paul:

February 18, 2008

The DC neocons think their old dream is about to come true. They think they can defeat me in the Republican congressional primary in Texas on March 4th. And you know what? They may be right.

My opponent, who describes himself as a traditional conservative, is a dedicated servitor of all the special interests who have given us the disaster of recent years, from unconstitutional wars to a looming recession, from huge deficits to massive new welfare programs.

A Republican operative allied with the worst forces in DC recently said: "Give what you can [to Ron Paul's opponent]. Ron Paul is running scared -- using his Presidential campaign's donors' money to subsidize a desperate last-minute attempt to save his Congressional seat."

That is a lie, of course. It is illegal to use presidential campaign donations in my congressional race. The congressional campaign has to stand on its own. But so far, we have raised only about a third of what a well-funded effort would need.

In my 10 terms in Congress, I have not only been able to serve my constituents, and help them, for example, negotiate federal red-tape. I have also been able to defend our principles of less spending, lower taxes, no inflation, and strict adherence to the Constitution. Some people in DC laugh at the idea that I should obey my oath of office, and ask first of any proposed legislation, is it constitutional? But I know that you share my support for the vision of the framers.

My friend Congressmen Wayne Gilchrest (R-Maryland) was just defeated in his primary election by a neocon fraud similar to the one I face. My friend Walter Jones (R-North Carolina) is under heavy pressure as well. People like our hand-picked opponents will do anything to gain and keep power. They represent everything that is wrong with DC.

If I am defeated in the upcoming congressional primary, our ideas will be held to have been defeated as well. It will be proclaimed from the rooftops in DC that such "ridiculous and outmoded notions" as the free market, sound money, personal liberty, limited government, and a pro-American foreign policy are through.

I am determined not to let this happen. All that you and I believe in is far too important to the future of our country, and to everyone and everything we love, to let the neocons dance on its grave.

Please, help me stop the lies, the distortions, the pressure groups, the special interests that benefit from DC rip-offs. There is still time to run radio and tv ads, to set up phone banks, to get out the vote. But unless you help, my reelection to Congress may be in jeopardy. Please help me return to Congress to fight for the people of my district, and for the ideas that can save our country from the path to trouble we are now on.

I hesitated to ask you, since you have already done so much. But my wife Carol said, "When you need help, you ask your best friends." So I do ask you, to hold out your hand in support.

Please give today http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com, as generously and as quickly as you can.

Sincerely,

Ron

He can't do that.

This is an email originally posted by varanook in the "Ron Paul" thread:

Another way to help elect Ron Paul

February 2, 2008

Loyal Ron Paul supporters,

Here is another way you can help Ron Paul continue to defend freedom and keep the movement alive. Under Texas law Ron Paul can run for President and Congress at the same time and he is doing just that. If you have already given to help elect Ron Paul President, you can also help him by giving to his reelection campaign to Congress. Go to his congressional web site starting TODAY and donate to make sure Ron also wins his reelection campaign for Congress. Let's help reelect Ron to Congress and elect him President at the same time. Let the Establishment know that the movement will continue, whether in Congress or in the White House. The Texas Primary election is March 4, so time is short for Ron to fund this campaign.

Our goal is to raise $400,000 for Ron's congressional campaign within the next week or two. Early voting starts in Texas soon and Ron's congressional campaign needs the money TODAY to pay for TV and radio and mailings.

Federal election laws make it impossible for Congressman Paul to use any of his presidential funds for his congressional race so long as he remains a candidate for president. That creates a real problem because as long as Ron Paul continues to have success running for President, he will have a hard time securing funds for his congressional reelection.

So get online now at http://www.ronpaulforcongress.com and make your maximum donation. Watch the donation counter soar to help keep the Revolution alive. And send this email alert to all of your friends and contacts.

Let's show Ron Paul exactly how much we love, appreciate and support him.

Yours for Freedom,

Mark Elam
Ron Paul Congressional Campaign Manager

So it sounds like once he bows out of the Presidential race, he can use the money for his Congressional campaign if he wants.

This is an email originally posted by varanook in the "Ron Paul" thread:

So it sounds like once he bows out of the Presidential race, he can use the money for his Congressional campaign if he wants.

Heh, nice catch. Looks like I may be wrong then.

If you have already given to help elect Ron Paul President, you can also help him by giving to his reelection campaign to Congress. Go to his congressional web site starting TODAY and donate to make sure Ron also wins his reelection campaign for Congress.

That sounds like to me that contributions can't be moved from one campaign to another. Either way, I contributed to Ron Paul fully aware that he wouldn't be the nominee.

Bill, my understanding is he's having to run the separate fundraiser for his congressional seat now, because he can't yet tap into funds raised as a presidential candidate.

Bill, my understanding is he's having to run the separate fundraiser for his congressional seat now, because he can't yet tap into funds raised as a presidential candidate.

I stand corrected.

For example, they can hang onto it for another try later at the White House, give it to charity, transfer it to their re-election campaign if they happen to be a senator or House member, or donate it to other candidates or political party operations.

http://public.cq.com/docs/cqt/news110-000002665082.html

Hehehe, this is great. March 4th, don't miss it. 6% of Texas Republicans will cast their vote for Ron Paul for President while around 50% of Republicans from his own Congressional district will vote for some guy named Chris Peden. That's what happens when you represent yourself instead of the people. Buh-bye. Win or lose, Ron Paul is as relevant as a buggy whip.

What makes you think Peden will beat Paul? I just don't see it happening.

What makes you think Peden will beat Paul? I just don't see it happening.

Because he's been polling within the margin of error for over a month now. But it was only recently that he (Peden) has publicly talked about being ahead of Paul. It's a pro-war, pro-hurricane relief district and Paul just doesn't represent either viewpoint. I'm not saying it's a foregone conclusion (all the polls are hovering around 50-50). Paul will start his usual smear campaign on TV a few days before the election. By the time the truth comes out about the ads and how they are all bogus, the election will be over. Problem is, the voters have seen it so many times now it's questionable if his usual tactic will work. He's already raised more money than Peden from his usual outside-of-Texas sources, but the act is wearing thin. If he loses, you can point to the vote against Hurricane relief (genius when your district is on the Gulf Coast) as well as his anti-war stance as the two factors that deep sixed him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom