Ron Rivera fired (2 Viewers)

fdl16

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Grass isn't always greener, Carolina.

Just imagine if we'd gotten rid of Payton in 2015/2016 (as seemed on the verge of happening). We would've regretted it.

Ti Rider

Me Worry?
Reaction score
Uphill battle for the next HC. Their defense is old and lacking depth, OL is a wreck and then you have to figure out what to do at QB.
Unfortunately I don’t see the Panthers’ future quite as dark. Allen is a competent QB and McCaffery is an absolute force. Next year the new GM (I won’t be shocked if they go full force after Ireland) will trade Newton for multiple draft picks clearing his salary and gaining them picks. They may lose out which will raise their draft position. So their brand new scouting dept (they fired their whole scouting dept.) should have a bunch of top picks to reload.

The Panthers also got the jump on every team waiting to fire their HC and/or GM (Falcons, Cowboys, Bengals, Chargers, etc.). They will get the first run at all the hot Head Coach candidates. I for one won’t be shocked if Riverboat Ron ends up as Cowboys HC next season.

jasonsw

Saints pups are Ready to Cheer N.O to Victory
Reaction score
That guy was able to build a winning program with an enigmatic Q.B who cared more about himself than the team. This year until a few games ago he was able to win with an unstated Q.B .

I'm thinking they fired him not due to his abilities but the franchise is looking go in a different direction philosophy wise. Think Carolina is going to hire an up and coming offensive guy and try to attract a potential free agent QB that will be available this off-season.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Surprising move, to be honest, i think Rivera has done a fantastic job with that franchise, including this year, Cam Newton is what has held the Panthers back, not Rivera. I think Temper will regret this move.
As much as I’ve made jokes about Ron, he was the most successful coach the Panthers have ever had. Somewhat consistent always being a threat to the top team in the division that is the Saints, stealing three division titles in a row while in the same division as the HOF duo that is Payton and Brees, and making a Super Bowl appearance.

I think this has more to do with the new owner wanting a completely fresh start with his newly bought team.

DeuceMcAllisterFan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t see the Panthers’ future quite as dark. Allen is a competent QB and McCaffery is an absolute force. Next year the new GM (I won’t be shocked if they go full force after Ireland) will trade Newton for multiple draft picks clearing his salary and gaining them picks. They may lose out which will raise their draft position. So their brand new scouting dept (they fired their whole scouting dept.) should have a bunch of top picks to reload.

The Panthers also got the jump on every team waiting to fire their HC and/or GM (Falcons, Cowboys, Bengals, Chargers, etc.). They will get the first run at all the hot Head Coach candidates. I for one won’t be shocked if Riverboat Ron ends up as Cowboys HC next season.
You really think the new coach is going to want to pay Allen big money after the season? I would imagine they have to roll with Newton(21 millioncap hit) in the 2020 season.

Paul

Professional
Reaction score
Things change fast in the NFL but hopefully ATL and CAR go in full rebuild the next two seasons and we can extend this magical run we are on. Tampa is a wildcard because their rebuilding technically started this season but it starts and ends with whoever their QB is.
Tampa is in perpetual rebuild mode.

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a shock. Honestly, I think he’s a decent coach and want him in the AFC.
Me too. Well said. Thx much. If DA leaves for a HC job, any chance we could get Rivera as DC. Can you imagine our team with SP running the offense and Rivera running he defense.

I've never seen Rivera do or saying anyhting I thought was not classy.

I wonder if the Panther FO just delivered the message that Cam will be out QB next year. idk - just making up a story

platinumvinnyv

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
As much as I’ve made jokes about Ron, he was the most successful coach the Panthers have ever had. Somewhat consistent always being a threat to the top team in the division that is the Saints, stealing three division titles in a row while in the same division as the HOF duo that is Payton and Brees, and making a Super Bowl appearance.

I think this has more to do with the new owner wanting a completely fresh start with his newly bought team.
I agree, And I dont think they will get better. Cam body is starting to breakdown and I feel C Mac will follow suite if they dont get him a decent back up, I honestly feel he should pull a Zeke because hes not going even make it to his big paycheck at this rate. Cam never developed his passing game and Panthers never had a Real threat at receiver since Steve Smith which is crazy. The fact the panthers was doing as well as they were to me was pretty decent coaching and I think they will get worste with their talent and a new coach.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Agreed.

bingo.

Pensacola

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if David Tepper is the next Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder ~ very hands on owner.

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
IMO, he was doomed the moment Newton failed to dive on that fumble in the Super Bowl.

There have been other issues, sure (GM, ownership, aging roster), but they've had one winning season and not won a playoff game since. They were never the same after that, and it's not all on Rivera.

Saint Jack

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, he was doomed the moment Newton failed to dive on that fumble in the Super Bowl.

There have been other issues, sure (GM, ownership, aging roster), but they've had one winning season and not won a playoff game since. They were never the same after that, and it's not all on Rivera.
Much like the Falcons. Even for the winners, it seems the Super Bowl is the endpoint for a team’s run, except the Patriots. Even the Saints took a few seasons to reload and start the run again in ‘17.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom