Ron Rivera fired (2 Viewers)

SaintJ

hard, pipe-hittin'
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Much like the Falcons. Even for the winners, it seems the Super Bowl is the endpoint for a team’s run, except the Patriots. Even the Saints took a few seasons to reload and start the run again in ‘17.
To be fair, we had help from Gregg Williams late in 2011, and then soon afterwards from the league office.

Merl

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I agree, And I dont think they will get better. Cam body is starting to breakdown and I feel C Mac will follow suite if they dont get him a decent back up, I honestly feel he should pull a Zeke because hes not going even make it to his big paycheck at this rate. Cam never developed his passing game and Panthers never had a Real threat at receiver since Steve Smith which is crazy. The fact the panthers was doing as well as they were to me was pretty decent coaching and I think they will get worste with their talent and a new coach.
McCallister isn't eligible for a new deal until after next year.

BreesusSaves

MAAAARK INGRAM
Reaction score
Rivera would make a monster of a DC. He just didn't have the offensive mind to keep up with the NFL, and his choices for OC's were pretty bad. I'd love for him to be in charge of the Saints defense, and hope he ends up in the AFC.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Firing like a hot take is not good for the team, and not good for the reputation of the franchise.

This will make up-and-coming young coaches think twice before hiring on with CAR. I hope the good ones avoid them like the plague.

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Retire that Riverboat nickname as of now. Dude made a few 4th down calls to save his job and people deem him a “gambler”. Let me know when he calls an onside kick, right after halftime, in a super Bowl, then we will talk about being a gambler. Literally one of the most unfit nicknames ever

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When Tepper purchased the team, it concerned me because of his history with a winning Steeler program. He wants to win. My guess is that the current staff was on the infamous double secret probation and he saw enough to go in a different direction. We're about to find out how good of an owner he is with these next moves.

He may regret not hanging on to Rivera. He was a solid coach.

maxresdefault.jpg

B4YOU

All-Pro
Reaction score
Rivera was solid if not spectacular. You never know what’s going on behind the screens, but I’m surprised he was fired before the end of the season. I don’t see the team disfunction of a Washington/Gruden to suggest parting ways sooner than end of the season.

Reaction score
Classless, rash move by Tepper. I have a feeling the Panthers just became the new Bucs. Speaking of the Bucs, if they had any sense, they'd snatch Ron up. I always hated playing the Panthers because of Ron, he was the only coach in the division that had Payton biting his nails pretty much every time we played them.

Here's to hoping we only have to play Rivera a couple times in the next decade.

Lafexpress

Veteran
Reaction score
When Allen leaves, we will need a really good defensive coach, knows how to draft LB's, respect his coaching ability.

Reaction score
If they’re aiming for Riley, I don’t think they have a shot. There is a lot of overlap of Sooners/Cowboys fans so it won’t be a betrayal. That’ll allow him to keep a relationship with the team unlike when Saban left LSU and instantly became public enemy number one. Add to that, it’s not that much of a culture shock.
Another big reason that Riley wouldn't go for Carolina: QB. Dallas has, depending on your opinion, at least a serviceable qb. Cam is on the downside and Kyle Allen isn't a starter.

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don’t see the Panthers’ future quite as dark. Allen is a competent QB and McCaffery is an absolute force. Next year the new GM (I won’t be shocked if they go full force after Ireland) will trade Newton for multiple draft picks clearing his salary and gaining them picks. They may lose out which will raise their draft position. So their brand new scouting dept (they fired their whole scouting dept.) should have a bunch of top picks to reload.
The Panthers also got the jump on every team waiting to fire their HC and/or GM (Falcons, Cowboys, Bengals, Chargers, etc.). They will get the first run at all the hot Head Coach candidates. I for one won’t be shocked if Riverboat Ron ends up as Cowboys HC next season.
Well, when it comes to Cryolina and projecting dark days call it wishful thinking. However, the combination of Allen & McCaffery hasn't lit the world on fire by any stretch. I tend to think that if Ron decided he could win with Allen and McCaffery then it hastened his departure. If anything I think Allen's performance will give the new administration pause to think about trading Cam Newton before throwing in on middle of the road talent like Allen. Secondly, I'm not too sure about getting a leg up on other HC candidates unless they plan on staking a claim to someone who is already out of a job? I tend to think the early dismissal was so they could evaluate the remaining staff. They aren't making HC decisions until the season is over and they can have access to assistants on playoff teams. Cannot see them starting to interview until after the SB like the rest of the teams that will be looking for new HCs. There isn't any advantage gained IMO from firing midseason, end of the season whatever.
I've already seen them linked to guys like our TE coach Dan Campbell and we know he won't be available until after the SB parade. No they won't be making any moves until the offseason when they can request interviews.
As far as Ron ending up in Dallas, who cares.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom