Ron Rivera fired (1 Viewer)

Classless, rash move by Tepper. I have a feeling the Panthers just became the new Bucs. Speaking of the Bucs, if they had any sense, they'd snatch Ron up. I always hated playing the Panthers because of Ron, he was the only coach in the division that had Payton biting his nails pretty much every time we played them.

Here's to hoping we only have to play Rivera a couple times in the next decade.

When Allen leaves, we will need a really good defensive coach, knows how to draft LB's, respect his coaching ability.

If they’re aiming for Riley, I don’t think they have a shot. There is a lot of overlap of Sooners/Cowboys fans so it won’t be a betrayal. That’ll allow him to keep a relationship with the team unlike when Saban left LSU and instantly became public enemy number one. Add to that, it’s not that much of a culture shock.
Another big reason that Riley wouldn't go for Carolina: QB. Dallas has, depending on your opinion, at least a serviceable qb. Cam is on the downside and Kyle Allen isn't a starter.

Unfortunately I don’t see the Panthers’ future quite as dark. Allen is a competent QB and McCaffery is an absolute force. Next year the new GM (I won’t be shocked if they go full force after Ireland) will trade Newton for multiple draft picks clearing his salary and gaining them picks. They may lose out which will raise their draft position. So their brand new scouting dept (they fired their whole scouting dept.) should have a bunch of top picks to reload.
The Panthers also got the jump on every team waiting to fire their HC and/or GM (Falcons, Cowboys, Bengals, Chargers, etc.). They will get the first run at all the hot Head Coach candidates. I for one won’t be shocked if Riverboat Ron ends up as Cowboys HC next season.

Well, when it comes to Cryolina and projecting dark days call it wishful thinking. However, the combination of Allen & McCaffery hasn't lit the world on fire by any stretch. I tend to think that if Ron decided he could win with Allen and McCaffery then it hastened his departure. If anything I think Allen's performance will give the new administration pause to think about trading Cam Newton before throwing in on middle of the road talent like Allen. Secondly, I'm not too sure about getting a leg up on other HC candidates unless they plan on staking a claim to someone who is already out of a job? I tend to think the early dismissal was so they could evaluate the remaining staff. They aren't making HC decisions until the season is over and they can have access to assistants on playoff teams. Cannot see them starting to interview until after the SB like the rest of the teams that will be looking for new HCs. There isn't any advantage gained IMO from firing midseason, end of the season whatever.
I've already seen them linked to guys like our TE coach Dan Campbell and we know he won't be available until after the SB parade. No they won't be making any moves until the offseason when they can request interviews.
As far as Ron ending up in Dallas, who cares.

giphy.gif
my exact feeling lol would rather see the Panthers give him a few more years lol

Most HC candidates are under contract and can't interview for a position with another team until their current team's season is over or in the case of the 2 teams making it to the superbowl the off week before the superbowl. The idea they are getting a jump on other teams for new HC doesn't make sense.

In a way it’s surprising they don’t let him finish the season. But it’s prpbably smart. It allows you to start putting a plan together and figure out which coordinators from other teams you want to watch for their remaining games.

If you wait, it’s a mad scramble to line up interviews when those that did it already have one hand on the phone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom