Ronald Leary (1 Viewer)

NYSaint

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune believes the Saints "have to take a look" at impending free agent LG Ronald Leary.
The Saints may need to address right guard with Jahri Evans headed for free agency. With Dallas committed to La'El Collins at left guard, Leary will likely be looking for a new team. Leary played well for the Cowboys last year and won't cost as much as T.J. Lang or Kevin Zeitler. Leary turns 28 in April.

Saints carry annual question mark at guard into free agency | NOLA.com

Thoughts????

Larry Holder of the New Orleans Times-Picayune believes the Saints "have to take a look" at impending free agent LG Ronald Leary.
The Saints may need to address right guard with Jahri Evans headed for free agency. With Dallas committed to La'El Collins at left guard, Leary will likely be looking for a new team. Leary played well for the Cowboys last year and won't cost as much as T.J. Lang or Kevin Zeitler. Leary turns 28 in April.

Thoughts????

The way SP us talking about edge rushers and cb's it seems like the o line isn't even on 5he radar, but I know better than that. I am sure we will pick up a guard and Leary would be welcome here. I like him more than Lang but less than Zeitler. I think we should also take a look at a RT. Streif played well last year but he is always an off season upgrade topic. Maybe Ryan Clady could make a switch to RT.

Thoughts????

I think they address OG in FA, just becuse the talent in the draft at that position is on the weaker side. In FA you have bonafide starters w/years of experience on their resumes. I'll take that over an unproven rook all day. Plus the draft is fat w/D talent. I hope we go O heavy in FA, & grab a CB, then go balls out on defense in the draft.

Baton Rouge native, played high school ball at Southern Lab, we clearly did a lot of homework on him last year with all the smoke about us trying to trade for him....I don't see us breaking the bank at guard for a Zeitler, but this guy could be our guy from the next tier group.

Isn't his strength in the run game? I've heard he is average, at best, in the passing game. However, I admit I don't watch any Cowboys football and don't know his skill level.

We bring him in we might as well keep Tim Lelito. No thanks.

I think they address OG in FA, just becuse the talent in the draft at that position is on the weaker side. In FA you have bonafide starters w/years of experience on their resumes. I'll take that over an unproven rook all day. Plus the draft is fat w/D talent. I hope we go O heavy in FA, & grab a CB, then go balls out on defense in the draft.

Leary in FA, Barnett at #11, BPA (on defense) in round 2....works for me.

Think we'll be wanting to acquire a RG due to Peat playing LG/LT for the foreseeable future. Armstead needs to get healthy. Unger is fine as is Strief for another year. I do believe that schemes have set values. Sean Payton mentioned that Jahri/Nicks were not planned but we kind of just stumbled onto that tandem and I believe him. The LT, RT, and Center are the most important positions in this scheme and always have been. The guard play we got from Nicks/Evans were a bonus but its a scheme that doesn't need to have uber elite talent there.

For that matter I've readjusted my thoughts on Zietler and have instead focused on someone like Larry Worford. Bigger than G is the 6th olineman for me because whomever that is is going to be the backup RT since Peat hasn't proven he can play on the right side. A lot of these evaluations depend on if Peat is still seen as the future at RT but i just don't see how you can have him do anything on the right side and expect him to succeed. So that means that RT is as much of a need as it was when we drafted Peat in 2015 to play the position..if not more due to Strief now being 2 years older.

I'm with y'all. Who knows if Leary can play on the right side. Surely they learned from the Peat experiment.

I also like the idea of a natural RG in the "Value" price point and then spending a medium to high resource (2nd rnd pick?) on a "Is eligible"/heir apparent RT. It just so happens, that is where the value for RT's kicks in in this year's draft.

I think he will be overpaid relative to his value. He is overrated because he was surrounded by the best OLine in the NFL.

I'd take a look at Chance Warmack at RG as well. He had started every game at RG for the Titans until last year when he needed hand surgery.

If he is healthy he could be a solid addition that is young (25 yrs old) and shouldn't command no where near the amount of money Zeitler and others will command.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom