Article Rookie Saints offensive linemen Will Clapp, Rick Leonard in different places at this point in camp (1 Viewer)

Just pretend like we drafted Clapp in the 4th and Leonard in the 7th and it'll be fine.

So let me get this straight...the Saints staff had the wrong right. And Saints fans had the right wrong. And in this case the wrong right is more right than the right wrong?

Everyone saw this coming...so when it does come, you’ve got to have some balls to come in here and tell everyone that their right was wrong.

Um, can we let the guy play an actual game, maybe a season before we say "everyone saw this coming.....when it does come..."

Pardon me if I defer to the guys who know 1000x more and have their livelihoods on the line rather than those that have FAR limited information and zero actual stake in this.

Not surprising. Clapp has the experience, Leonard doesn't. Sounded like a good progress report on both.

And before the sea of "why didn't we wait to draft Leonard later", I believe it was mentioned that another team had an interest in him so the Saints pulled the trigger. It's done. Now, we'll see if the pick pans out.
I don’t have any issues with the pick. I think we knew and planned for Leonard being a bit of a project. It was an option we can afford.

Fourth round picks have less than a 50/50 chance of making a final 53, so practice squad isn't bad.

Practice squad is hard work. Hopefully that's good for picking up some work ethic.

Just pretend like we drafted Clapp in the 4th and Leonard in the 7th and it'll be fine.
Also, if they had picked Clapp or someone else in the 4th, it would have changed the draft in ways we won't ever know. Maybe that don't get Jamerson, Moore, Scott or Clapp. We won't know how this draft is going to work out until a few years from now.

Leonard actually did ok in the few snaps that he played. I was surprised, but it was a small sample size against sub par talent. Yeah, I still don’t understand the pick.

"His work ethic is improving..."

This is all that should matter for this 4th round pick. It's positive progress.

Meh, when Peat got here he couldn't run a sprint because he was out of shape and Coach Payton commented multiple times on his conditioning and drive. That was a first round pick that worked out. Right now, it would be a win if we can keep Leonard on the PS and develop him. It would actually be better than him making the final 53 and not seeing the field. Still a ways to go before that happens.

I'm rooting for Clapp. Loved the way he played at LSU, gritty and relentless. Plus he's still getting bigger and stronger.

Nobody can deny we reached when picking Lenaoard. Could of easily snagged him in the 7th.

I wonder if when he talks about work ethic, does he mean he is learning how to work and improve at the position? He has not been at the position long. Maybe he had limited instruction at FSU and just got by with athleticism. Could just be wishful thinking on my part.

This type of critique is terrible. To question his work ethic because of his ability to learn is questionable, people handle things different ways. Say they were teaching him 100 new teachniques (i'm being hypothetical) and say his mind was gassed out after they got to only the second one, but he made it to 99, but coaches get mad he didn't stick it out to 100. You never know what is going on with someone mentally. Kind of pathetic for Roushar to say things like this.

Leonard knows when he has recieved as much new info as he can, not others.

Never heard a coach get that deep and personal into a player's performance. Really, that's getting too personal, and I don't think Payton, Loomis, NFLPA, or Leonard's agent would approve. Don't get me wrong, the more I learn the more I like it. I just find it a little outside the norm.

I guess sometimes the “motivator” is a hammer .....of personal comments.

Rick Leonard seem to have all the physical tools to play the position at a high level... he just need to get his mind right. We need a good young swing tackle behind Armstead and Ram, so I'm hoping we didn't waste a pick.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom